T-case strength - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2019, 12:41 PM   #51 (permalink)
E. Spengler

Member # 206384
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
What if someone made a killer aluminum housing design with a 271 style chain drive internals? Atlas? TWF? I bet the front output bearing housings could be built eccentric to allow chain tightening.
Milemarker used to make a ChainSaver kit for the 203 that did that.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:07 PM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 181868
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
No, that would break things. Front and rear tires would be trying to spin at different speeds.

Twin stick will allow you to have 2wd at either end. Front engaged/rear in neutral would be front wheel drive.
I see. I have heard of mud trucks having differnt ratios in the diffs. They have the front turn faster so they have better steering. I don't know how much differnt speeds they would run. I would assume they can't run in four wheel drive except in the slop for breakage reasons.

I can think of some very limited reasons to have front wheel drive only. But I can hardly say that's a major advantage. I could be wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2019, 03:55 PM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 41063
It's a big advantage for a crawler in tight quarters or when you just need the front to shift over a bit. It's called a front dig and can be used to reposition the front by spinning the front wheels while the rear stays stationary.

Old 03-30-2019, 04:11 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 25632
8 year member on world's largest rock crawling site, doesn't know even the most basic rock crawling fundamentals

YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2019, 04:45 PM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 53528
do they even have any rocks in florida?
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2019, 05:39 PM   #56 (permalink)
don't know nothin'

Member # 136902
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
do they even have any rocks in florida?
They import them.
ridenby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2019, 06:53 PM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 181868
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
8 year member on world's largest rock crawling site, doesn't know even the most basic rock crawling fundamentals :
I would not say that is "most basic rock crawling fundamentals". I would say that is an advanced rock crawling feature right along with cutting brakes and rear steer. Many (probably most) people rock crawl without any of those features. (Because they don't have them)

Anyways, I said I was ignorant of driving with the front in high range and the rear in low range. Not, front dig.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:48 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 214685
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
I can think of some very limited reasons to have front wheel drive only. But I can hardly say that's a major advantage. I could be wrong.
I liked the ability to drop down a big ledge. Front in rear out, lock up rear with cutter brakes. Creep over the edge with the front pulling and rear dragging, squats the rear and lets the front still pull.
Byro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2019, 08:33 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 111580
Quote:
I would not say that is "most basic rock crawling fundamentals". I would say that is an advanced rock crawling feature right along with cutting brakes and rear steer. Many (probably most) people rock crawl without any of those features. (Because they don't have them)

Anyways, I said I was ignorant of driving with the front in high range and the rear in low range. Not, front dig.
I would argue most rigs on anything bigger than 37s other than toyotas have and use front dig, I would agree its a basic fundamental. I use it ALL the time.

best vendor on pirate...

dragrcr65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2019, 09:29 PM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 177092
Quote:
I agree 100%. I am not sure how front dig could be considered a "fundamental."

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragrcr65 View Post
I would argue most rigs on anything bigger than 37s other than toyotas have and use front dig, I would agree its a basic fundamental. I use it ALL the time.
I guess I didn't get the memo; I have a two rigs with 37"+ tires. I wheel with several guys on tons and 40"+ tires and none of them have front digs either. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen someone perform a front dig in person.

I am not saying it is not a useful feature, or that no one is running rigs capable of performing front digs, but I would say it is a far cry from a "fundamental." As a matter of fact, I have seen more rigs with rear steer than I have seen performing digs.

Last edited by '84 Bronco II; 03-30-2019 at 09:30 PM.
'84 Bronco II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2019, 10:30 PM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:

Relax, I was just giving you shit, hence the

Quote:
Originally Posted by '84 Bronco II View Post
I agree 100%. I am not sure how front dig could be considered a "fundamental."

I guess I didn't get the memo; I have a two rigs with 37"+ tires. I wheel with several guys on tons and 40"+ tires and none of them have front digs either. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen someone perform a front dig in person.

I am not saying it is not a useful feature, or that no one is running rigs capable of performing front digs, but I would say it is a far cry from a "fundamental." As a matter of fact, I have seen more rigs with rear steer than I have seen performing digs.
Where are you located? I'm guessing not on the west coast. I didn't say it was a fundamental of wheelin. I was talking about rock crawling.

Not saying that people don't rock crawl outside of the west coast, but for the most part technical rock crawling is on the west coast.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:07 PM   #62 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Front digs are very common on the west coast. If you aren’t with Toyota guys you see them all the damn time.

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:

Last edited by Beat95YJ; 03-30-2019 at 11:08 PM.
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2019, 10:09 AM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 177092
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
Where are you located? I'm guessing not on the west coast. I didn't say it was a fundamental of wheelin. I was talking about rock crawling.

Not saying that people don't rock crawl outside of the west coast, but for the most part technical rock crawling is on the west coast.
Not on the coast, but in the southwest

I am in New Mexico and be assured, we have some of the hardest, rockiest, and technical trails of the west. I don't really wheel with the buggy guys, so they are probably a different story, but I can't specifically remember seeing anyone using a front dig on the trail.

New Mexico is one of the poorest states though, and it seems for the most part, the rigs us locals are running are a lot lower buck than what you see in Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and California. Leaf springs and regular coil springs are a very common sight on extreme trails around here as are swampers and junkyard tons.

Edit: The Farmington guys are probably an exception since they've got all that oil money and comp crawling is pretty big up there.

Last edited by '84 Bronco II; 03-31-2019 at 10:17 AM.
'84 Bronco II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2019, 10:30 AM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 214670
People use front digs anywhere. Itís a great test of front driveline strength. Iím not sure I would be thrashing a front dig on anything less than a 60 ring gear and 205/atlas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keydet15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2019, 10:36 AM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 25632
I wasn't trying to start a big debate, just giving the guy from floriduh a hard time.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:56 AM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 79509
Front dig is fundamental.

Anyone disagreeing has their head in the sand.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:09 AM   #67 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keydet15 View Post
People use front digs anywhere. Itís a great test of front driveline strength. Iím not sure I would be thrashing a front dig on anything less than a 60 ring gear and 205/atlas
I have seen many done with Dana 44ís and 37ís. Chromoly axles are a must. I have a friend who did them in an ifs Chevy with 37ís (ifs always broke)

People do them with 300ís/205ís/atlas/etc. if itís possible, people will do it.

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2019, 11:17 AM   #68 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 102395
Front digs are a pain in the ass

Because after you have a transfercase with them you won't ever want a transfercase that doesn't have em.

And you'll do what ever it takes to get em....No matter what it cost.

If you were twice as smart you would still be stupid!

But, as with most evil people, they live unnaturally long lives.

Dr Danger
lil,yota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2019, 01:08 PM   #69 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
You can go a hell of a lot of places without doing a front dig.

Knowing what one is is probably more fundamental than actually having and using that capability.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2019, 01:33 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 25632
My solution was a selectable rear locker. Not exactly the same. But can be just as effective if done properly.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:21 PM   #71 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
I've front digged plenty of Dana 30's. My old ZJ was even LP30 front. Had the 5.9 and 4.3 atlas. I did a dig in it several times. Even with 4.56's. It really has a lot more to do with being reasonable about the condition. I was alway up hill without a bound front end. I had a selectable rear locker too so typically using the parking brake worked better than a full dig would.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2019, 06:42 PM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 166307
Good hearted ribbing ALERT
Front digs are very common on the west coast. If you aren’t with Toyota guys you see them all the damn time.[/QUOTE]

cuz yota guys just drive thru that shit.

Wish I had the capability tho..

Last edited by clb 017; 03-31-2019 at 06:53 PM.
clb 017 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2019, 06:59 PM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 181868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
Front dig is fundamental.

Anyone disagreeing has their head in the sand.
Well actually I've done front digs a few times. Got stuck in muddy snow in Canada one time and had to get out and dig up front so I could lay some logs in front of the tires. I always carry a shovel for those occasions. So there!

Old 03-31-2019, 07:02 PM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 166307
Didn't Bobby Long do t case shaft testing along the line of the axle test?
Old 04-02-2019, 09:36 PM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 111580
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb 017 View Post
Good hearted ribbing ALERT
Front digs are very common on the west coast. If you arenít with Toyota guys you see them all the damn time.
cuz yota guys just drive thru that shit.

Wish I had the capability tho..[/QUOTE]

come follow me and tell me you drive through it

best vendor on pirate...

dragrcr65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in