Budget friendly portals for ifs build - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2019, 05:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 37016
Budget friendly portals for ifs build

I have been researching lots of different portals out there. I am looking to build a Toyota ifs long travel kit with portals to achieve the ground clearance needed that ifs usually is lacking. I have seen hummer portals and could machine a backing plate to make my own upright. Similar to what Jesse Haines did on his rear axle on roxor. Now the problem with those are 2 gears reversing rotation which opens up whole new issue with diff.

Now I see the lasernut buggy has some 74weld mog 404 portals. Very nice but pricey and overkill imo for this project.

There are also portals for UTVs out there but issues I've found with them is running 37inch tires and heavier vehicles along with UTV wheel bolt patterns.

Now I'm here asking for some other options or ideas from you guys on what's out there. I am hopefully able to get a pair of portals for under 1500 or so then get the backing plates machined from there.

So what do you guys suggest I look into? Or options for the items above to address issues i have found in the mog and hummer portals.
65Chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2019, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 228921
Portals =/= budget friendly.

No help other than that.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 47337
H1 portal boxes can be picked up on Ebay for $200-$500 ea. if you watch for them. I was able to get all 4 of mine for a grand shipped from Utah off ebay.
Fl-Krawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 08:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl-Krawler View Post
H1 portal boxes can be picked up on Ebay for $200-$500 ea. if you watch for them. I was able to get all 4 of mine for a grand shipped from Utah off ebay.
This. In the USA your aren't going to find a more economical portal than an H1 box.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 189239
Jesses hmmwv portal boxes on a ifs car with what appears to be the factory hmmwv balljoints

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...8e&oe=5D163F4C

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...2a&oe=5D4CABA1

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...4f&oe=5D135C1D

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...d7&oe=5D4EFFA9
YROC FAB. is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2019, 09:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
Send a message via AIM to mobil1syn
are you planning on running them in the rear?
Old 03-24-2019, 09:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 37016
Just planning up front and appears I'm gonna go with a 9inch diff flipped and get 2.93ish ratio to match 5.67 in rear or close to it
Old 03-24-2019, 10:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 37016
And this is for a long travel prerunner truck. Not strictly rock crawler. That is why I'm looking for lift spindle type setup to increase clearance at full bump along with tire to fender clearance.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
Send a message via AIM to mobil1syn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Chevy4x4 View Post
And this is for a long travel prerunner truck. Not strictly rock crawler. That is why I'm looking for lift spindle type setup to increase clearance at full bump along with tire to fender clearance.
i was just clarifying since you mentioned the 2 gears in passing. you could always overdrive the front output to cancel the rotation and gear reduction at the portals. hell just just wedge a portal in next to the trans

Last edited by mobil1syn; 03-25-2019 at 10:32 AM.
mobil1syn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2019, 07:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 37016
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobil1syn View Post
i was just clarifying since you mentioned the 2 gears in passing. you could always overdrive the front output to cancel the rotation and gear reduction at the portals. hell just just wedge a portal in next to the trans
That is a great idea. Use portal backwards to reverse and overdrive driveline to counter the portals. I have access to mill lathe and cnc machine wonder if I could make this happen.

Also if anyone knows of a set of 2 or 4 portals available for a grand or so please let me know I have cash in hand.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 47337
Trailworthyfab posted on facebook a few weeks ago they had boxes for $200 ea
Old 03-25-2019, 08:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 37016
Thank you dont have Facebook so sent them an email
Old 03-25-2019, 09:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 37016
Would running a portal to reverse driveline double the load and rpm of the front diff making it essentially weaker than stock.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Would running a portal to reverse driveline double the load and rpm of the front diff making it essentially weaker than stock.
H1 portals are 1.8:1 irrc. So in order to "undo" the gear reduction at the wheel, you'd have to overdrive the pinion 1.8:1, which seems like a bad idea, not to mention the weight and complexity.

Running 9" front and rear would make it relatively easy to match your ratios front to back like you mentioned earlier.
YotaAtieToo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2019, 07:59 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 37016
Truck already has a 9inch rear so would do similar in front or possibly smaller Ford 8inch diff for packaging.

I've read hummer portals are 1.8, 1.92, 1.96 Anyone know for sure what they are? I will confirm anyways once i buy a set
Old 03-26-2019, 08:34 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 23843
I think since hummers are ifs to begin with, that's an easy choice. Use some kind of flipped toy/9" third to fix the rotation issue.... have the cheapest version IFS/IRS with fairly off the shelf parts....
Old 03-26-2019, 10:11 AM   #17 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Isnít that just an H1 portal with custom steering arm?

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2019, 10:15 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 47337
Quote:
Truck already has a 9inch rear so would do similar in front or possibly smaller Ford 8inch diff for packaging.

I've read hummer portals are 1.8, 1.92, 1.96 Anyone know for sure what they are? I will confirm anyways once i buy a set
Mine are 1.92 and as far as I know that is the only ratio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Isnít that just an H1 portal with custom steering arm?
yes
Old 03-28-2019, 06:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Hummer portals are getting ridiculously hard to find. I should have built a axle using them when they were only $1200 a pair. Not $1200 each like they are now.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2019, 02:28 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 189239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post
Hummer portals are getting ridiculously hard to find. I should have built a axle using them when they were only $1200 a pair. Not $1200 each like they are now.
Trailworthy just had a lot of them they were selling for 200$ each. I called and bought 8 and the sales dude said some one from Australia had just bought all the 12ks they had.
YROC FAB. is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2019, 07:14 AM   #21 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Yeah. I was daydreaming last night.

I would love to buy a full set and build one of my Tomahawks with a 4cyl TJ and leave everything stock. I have a thread somewhere on here about the theoretical use of these on stock Jeep 30/35 axles. You actually need the 27 spline boxes to do it.

I have way too much going on right now to devote the time. But I think I'll ear mark the project in my head for now. I definitely want to do something simple like this when I get my Juggy finished up. I have to finish my Tomahawk I already started first too.

I'm a perpetual project starter trying to be better about being a project finisher. Shut like this gets me in trouble though.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:45 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post
Yeah. I was daydreaming last night.

I would love to buy a full set and build one of my Tomahawks with a 4cyl TJ and leave everything stock. I have a thread somewhere on here about the theoretical use of these on stock Jeep 30/35 axles. You actually need the 27 spline boxes to do it.

I have way too much going on right now to devote the time. But I think I'll ear mark the project in my head for now. I definitely want to do something simple like this when I get my Juggy finished up. I have to finish my Tomahawk I already started first too.

I'm a perpetual project starter trying to be better about being a project finisher. Shut like this gets me in trouble though.
There was a crawl mag with a tj that was more or less stock with Volvo portals added. It would be cool too see one with stock axles and hummer boxes added on. You get the "lift" for ~37-39s, the gearing for crawling and the strength increase in the axles, all in one shot. The stupid high r&p that stock jeeps come with would even work well with the portals. When you look at it that way, the price doesn't look too bad.

The only problem is the cracker jack axle housings.

Im not a huge fan of jk's but it would be interesting to see this concept added to a stock one. Basically add lockers, portals and tires.

Heck, really any rig now that I think of it. ZJ/WJ or even a 3rd or 4th gen 4runner.

Last edited by YotaAtieToo; 03-29-2019 at 08:48 AM.
YotaAtieToo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2019, 09:05 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
There was a crawl mag with a tj that was more or less stock with Volvo portals added. It would be cool too see one with stock axles and hummer boxes added on. You get the "lift" for ~37-39s, the gearing for crawling and the strength increase in the axles, all in one shot. The stupid high r&p that stock jeeps come with would even work well with the portals. When you look at it that way, the price doesn't look too bad.

Im not a huge fan of jk's but it would be interesting to see this concept added to a stock one. Basically add lockers, portals and tires.

Heck, really any rig now that I think of it. ZJ/WJ or even a 3rd or 4th gen 4runner.
74 weld is going to make bolt on jk portals. Iím sure they wonít be cheap, but that market isnít about being cheap.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2019, 09:21 AM   #24 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post

The big issue is having to flip the housings. You'd be building a trailer queen. The thing about doing this to my Tomahawk chassis is the sprung weight. My chassis are about 500-600lbs. The way I figure, you can just cut the factory front housing at 4" out from the center section, flip the diff and then use the Synergy sleeve kit to weld the housing back together. 4:11 is the factory 4cyl TJ ratio. No need for an SYE with the portals and flipped low pinion diffs. 27 spline stubs fit right into the portal boxes. You'd just have to get the U-joint lined up in the C/knuckle. I'm pretty sure JHF outers would work. Chopping down some long side front axles in the rear seemed like a solution that would work for a light weight, low power rig.

Everything about the project seems fun to me. I'm way more about trying odd ball light weight/small stuff out than I am about building won ton tanks.

Last edited by Action Fab; 03-29-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:23 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 37016
A 4 gear portal like axletech/dynatrac would keep from flipping diff which is only way to make it a bolt on option.

If anyone who bought some $200 ones from trailworthy wants to sell them and make some $$$ let me know.

Last edited by 65Chevy4x4; 03-29-2019 at 09:27 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in