Portals N shit - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2019, 05:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 47337
Portals N shit

I haven't had my own personal buggy in close to 11 years now. Every time I start a new ride for myself, I end up acquiring new parts that will not work with what I was currently building, or I end up having a customer come by with cash in hand for my partially completed project (everything is for sale for the right price). This year, my new years resolution was to finally build and finish a buggy for myself. I'm pretty sure there is a running pool on how long till this one gets sold among my friends but we will see. This build will also likely be painfully slow as I balance my time between working as a hospice RN fulltime, family time, and doing builds for others in my free time. I am making myself allot atleast a day a week to this build so there will be atleast a once a week update.

About 7 years ago I broke down and built a table to build chassis on. I was tired of building them on the shop floor and the constant struggle to keep things in place and square. Even with the table, most plasma local shops wanted $$$ to cut large fixtures to hold the chassis tubes and since almost every chassis I have built is different in some way, a one size fits all fixture wouldnt work.

For this chassis I decided to build it in halves like a clam shell.Quite possibly the easiest experience I have ever had building a chassis.

Once I had the 2 halves built, I just stood them up and added the lower windshield tube. A few small fixtures and everything went together very easily.Most buggies the A and B pillars go all the way to the buggy floor. On this build I'm going just to the beltline in anticipation of making repairs easier later down the road

For tires and wheels I'm going with 45" SXII's on 17x9 trailreadys with 7" of backspacing

They tuck the portal box in pretty well and should keep excessive scrub to a minimum

Drivetrain thrown up into place. All the drivetrain parts are left overs from my last two builds that were never finished. Originally the axles started out as TG housings with Strange 5.43 geared 10" 3rds, 40 spline spool and I planned to use rockwell outers on 47 LTB's. I ended up getting a very good deal on some 45" swampers and portal boxes so I changed directions in a big way.Eventually I'm gonna swap the Strange 3rds for some 3.00 geared 3rds with 31 spline ARB. You will have to excuse the clutter, my fab table tends to become a catch all, and I have very limited shop space at the moment

Fl-Krawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2019, 06:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 197896
Looks good - nice to see someone else local with a build on here!
giles45shop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2019, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
clamshell is an interesting way to do it, looking forward to seeing this one get nearly finished

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 08:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 181868
Sub'd. Love portals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2019, 06:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 11448
Send a message via Yahoo to MNorby
Looks like the start of a cool rig. Sub'd for updates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MNorby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2019, 02:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135947
Glad to see this on Pirate. My work's firewall blocks hardline and I hate tapatalk...

Did you make the brackets on the back of your portals or buy them from Jesse?
whitneyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2019, 02:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Although I'm sure ~10:1 effective r&p is probably too low, are you sure you wouldn't want something lower than 5.xx with those 45s?
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2019, 07:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 47337
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneyj View Post
Did you make the brackets on the back of your portals or buy them from Jesse?
I bought the "C"s and steering arms from Jesse in the name of saving time on the original build 1.5yrs ago. It took a while to get the parts from Jesse, and a local machine shop had my boxes even longer drilling the taper out of the holes and making my rotor hats (7months). If I had it to do over again, I would have made my own parts, but I have no qualms about Jesse's parts. They are high quality and he has been nothing but helpful answering questions when I have them

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
Although I'm sure ~10:1 effective r&p is probably too low, are you sure you wouldn't want something lower than 5.xx with those 45s?
I'm torn between a 3.0 and 3.25 ratio.I have plenty of motor (almost 800hp at the crank), and plenty of gearing before the axles (6l80/hero 3spd). The buggy will be tagged and street legal, so my biggest concern is having a ratio tall enough for highway use since the buggy will get driven a lot on the road
Old 03-26-2019, 08:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl-Krawler View Post

I'm torn between a 3.0 and 3.25 ratio.I have plenty of motor (almost 800hp at the crank), and plenty of gearing before the axles (6l80/hero 3spd). The buggy will be tagged and street legal, so my biggest concern is having a ratio tall enough for highway use since the buggy will get driven a lot on the road
Copy, 6l80 makes up for a lot. I definitely assumed that it wouldn't see much road time

I see so many people go for 5.xx because that's what is common.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2019, 09:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 47337
Small update but it is progress.My original intent was to make the buggy so the drivetrain could be dropped out the bottom of the chassis, or the engine would be able to come out of the top so that working on it would be much easier. I had planned to do two 1/2" bolts mounted horizontal at the chassis going to a poly bushing at the engine. Due to the offset of the engine this wasn't possible. I decided I would just weld in the chassis side of the mount.

Luckily a few days later I needed to pull the engine and trans. When I went to reinstall the engine/trans/tcase I discovered what a colossal PITA it was going to be in the future. So today I cut all that shit out and ended up making some vertical tabs and new motor mounts

I made the tabs in a manner that will eventually tie into a boxed in gusset that runs under the frame rail.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135947
What made the mounts being welded to the chassis a PITA?
whitneyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2019, 08:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 47337
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneyj View Post
What made the mounts being welded to the chassis a PITA?
Getting everything to line up like it should. With the mounts as part of the chassis, it required the engine be lowered vertically in place. All the tubes aren't even in place and it was a 45min affair trying to get the engine back mounted. The problem will only be compounded when I add more tubes and mounts to the back of the heads. Also with the mounts welded it pretty much forces the engine/trans/tcase to all go in as separate pieces.

I am trying to keep some flexibility to where those parts can be pulled without a huge clusterfuck. I live in Florida, so the closest good wheeling is 8hrs away, so I need to be able to break the buggy down and repair it as easily as possible for when I manage to really break something or have a problem that requires the drivetrain be pulled. On my last buggy I built the drivetrain so it came out the bottom of the buggy. I built a rolling cart that supported the drivetrain so pulling everything was a pretty quick and easy affair.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 47337
So originally I had all the front tube work planned out, and I intended to run a hood with some sort of built in fender to maintain a resemblance to a jeep. The last time I had a fiberglass hood with built in fenders on a rig, the hood didn't even make it through the first ride before I had pretty much removed both fenders trying to wedge the jeep in places it didn't belong. Somewhere along the lines of dwelling over this for a week or so I decided to add tube fenders to the front of the chassis when I started laying everything out. With tube fenders it altered the original way I was going to do the front tube work. So I started adding tubes

By this point the front end was a complete clusterfuck of tubes and I wasn't really happy with it. I also had a few issues with where I mounted the engine was going to make routing the exhaust a bitch, plus I had originally planned to run tube under the oil pan for a skid, which sat the engine high in the chassis. This made the planned seating position a little higher than I wanted. After stewing over it for a week I threw a junk hood and grill I had up on it .

I was hoping that the lines would flow a little better with panels on it, but they just were not. I was also drastically different with how the front tube work was done compared to what I had panned and how I have done other chassis in the past. I ended up torching off the majority of work I had done and went back to plan A.

Before:

After:

New tubework in place

I still have a few more tubes to add up front, but it is waaaay cleaner and less cluttered now

I also redid the belly crossmembers , moved the engine back 2" and it now sits 2.5" lower in the chassis. There is only a 3/4" difference between the car and truck pan on the 6l80 so I figured for such little difference I may as well run the truck trans and oil pan and hopefully avoid any oiling issues LS engines are known for.. I'll post pics ot the new engine/trans mounts and crossmembers as soon as I get them finished
Old 04-21-2019, 08:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
i agree with you that front end version the second looks a good bit less cluttered

does the 6l80 pan sit as low as the truck oil pan? There is a good 3" difference between the truck engine oil pan and the car pan

Old 04-21-2019, 01:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 47337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
does the 6l80 pan sit as low as the truck oil pan? There is a good 3" difference between the truck engine oil pan and the car pan
The trans pan is sitting level to the table and there is probably 1.5-1.75" of space under it. The oil pan has a piece of 3/8" plate under it. This will give me a small space under the oil pan to allow the skid to flex in a hard impact before hitting the pan. The Hero is clocked just slightly and had 2" between it and the table

Old 04-21-2019, 07:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
oh wow, guess i never realized how low those sat.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:17 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 47337
Last update for a while. I have to play nurse for the next 10 days. This is the trans mount. I added notches for clearance on the shifter cable, and also the trans pan so it will be able to be removed without removing anything else but the skid plate

Old 04-24-2019, 09:24 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 189239
Why are your Lower axle link mounts so much lower than the center line of axle tubes. Seams to negate the high ground clearance the portals N shit offer. Jesse and several others run them with the center line and have reported No extra wear and tear on heims.
YROC FAB. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2019, 10:05 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 47337
Quote:
Originally Posted by YROC FAB. View Post
Why are your Lower axle link mounts so much lower than the center line of axle tubes. Seams to negate the high ground clearance the portals N shit offer. Jesse and several others run them with the center line and have reported No extra wear and tear on heims.
I was after a specific link geometry number. Packaging of some other parts also played into it. With my current setup, the lower links will be flat at ride height, with 7" of uptravel. Below are some pics of my original build. Ground clearance really will never be an issue I don't think, and you can get an idea of the packaging issues with the coilovers clearing the links and tires

Last edited by Fl-Krawler; 04-24-2019 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:34 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 47337
One very minor update. Today was going to be my only day in the shop after working the last 10, and I am scheduled to work the next 9 straight. Unfortunately we had some bad weather today that flooded my shop with about 4" of standing water, and knocked power out for half the day. The plan is for the engine to be supported by the traditional engine mounts, plus these off the back of the heads (which aren't finished in the pic). Trans has its own support, and the hero will be supported at both output shafts as well.

Old 05-06-2019, 11:56 AM   #21 (permalink)
GiS

Member # 31285
Bummer about the flood .. keep the updates coming, very few build threads left.
Rock Posse Racing #686
Driver: Joey Weber
GiS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019, 05:57 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 47337
I got off work a few hours early today so I decided to throw a few tubes on the chassis. Chassis has to come off the table tomorrow to build another chassis for someone else, so the updates will be slow for a few weeks. I plan to start the axle builds here this next week, since my new housings are in

Getting rough ideas of how I am going to mount the radiators and if everything will fit like I plan. The idea is a 22x19 on the passenger side, and a 22x13 on the drivers side plumbed in series. I have two ford superduty trans coolers that are very large (20 x 19ish) that I plan to mount on top of the radiators, one for the trans, one for oil. I'm planning to build a cradle in the floor to hold the radiators, and have the seat mounts sandwich them in on top.

Last edited by Fl-Krawler; 05-14-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:25 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 47337
Finally getting some time to resume work on this build after working a shit ton of hours the last 2 months at my nursing job. Started the assembly of the new front axle housing. The trail gear housing was about 0.080" out of alignment so it took a few hours to get the housing straight before I added outer parts. I'll add the steering and link mounts tomorrow. This summer heat has just been stupid. At the start of the month I made the decision to make a go at running the shop fulltime, so in a few weeks I'll be moving everything to a climate controlled shop roughly double the size of my current shop.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:35 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 47337
A few more updates. I hope to have the front shocks, control arms, and steering all mounted by Sunday so I can move on to the rear axle build.
Steering arms almost finished

Finished out the rear roof portion of the chassis. I had cleaned my table off but unfortunately it has become a catchall again as I have started preparing to move the contents of the shop to a new 2500sq ft space

Lower link mounts. The bottom of the belly unbolts and can be removed to make maintenance easier

Chassis side uppers. They tie into the floor and belly tubes, and will be boxed in as well

Drivers side upper at the axle is just a pair of tabs

Steering ram mocked up. Passenger side uppers will be part of a truss that incorporates the ram mount
Old 07-19-2019, 06:18 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 181868
So do I understand your going in to business? I suppose that will slowdown progress. I need to stop in next time I'm down that way. (Got folks in Orlando and Haines city)

Carry on.

waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in