Kilby OBA/York Compressor - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2019, 07:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 77571
Kilby OBA/York Compressor

Running one of Brad Kilby`s setups with the engine driven York 210 compressor..

The York is making bad noises. The air output is good but engaging the clutch there is intermittent bearing squeal and it sounds like a few loose rocks in the crankcase. Yes there is and always has been plenty of oil.

Are these things worth rebuilding ? Does the York have a history of crank bearings going bad but the rod journal and cylinder walls staying fresh ? As mentioned, it still has good output.

https://offroadonly.com/shop/on-boar...h-finned-head/

Speaks of a better compressor with a few features making it more suited for OBA than a standard York. One being a little more CFM. But damn, 500 bucks. Any users' that can make any comment ?
Old 04-18-2019, 08:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
The clutch bearing is more common to go out and make those noises.
They can be had for $20.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2019, 08:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
GIJEEPN

Member # 135100
Send a message via ICQ to DriverJC Send a message via Yahoo to DriverJC
In my experience, as long as you keep oil in them, the York compressor is just about indestructible, and as a benefit, they are completely rebuildable.

As for the linked compressor, they list three modifications

1) Improved airflow inside the head chamber to allow for less oil intrusion
This is required in order to utilize a York for OBA. A google search will turn up what modifications you need to do in order to keep the crank case oil from being pulled into the cylinder while running. I'm sure the $350 one from CUOffroad.com has this same modification. Rockcrawler.com article

2) A finned head allowing for extra cooling.
This could be a benefit for off-road use as it would keep the head temeratures down during heavy use, but Oasis Manufacturing sells the head through various places for roughly $163.00

3) The back bearing plate is modified to utilize an installed sight glass.
This modification is a "Nice to Have", but not a necessity. Just check the oil every month of so of use.

In short, I can see how the 499 unit would be a good for someone who just wants to bolt on and go, however, I wouldn't go with it considering you can find them on Ebay new for around 200

Just my $.02 worth, and probably not worth that much
YMMV
Joel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DriverJC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 01:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 77571
Had an interesting conversation with TCC/I the York manufacture and Dan/John from Oasis.

The ER210 is designed to be used in a vertical position. Pictures show it horizontal for AC use, not OBA. Horizontal oil control becomes a big issue. Even with a coalescing filter output air is still contaminated. Which is exactly one bitch I`ve had with my setup. Speculation is perhaps why Kilbly may not have been as successful as he wanted. The oil cannot be controlled adequately when laid over.

TCC/I does make a compressor for OBA usage. They do the plug and drill in the crankcase. Add a scraper ring and a steel sleeve to the "block". Plus the finned head. Oasis is one company that buys these. But here again, once you lay the compressor over with a crankcase full of oil the amount that gets into the discharge side could still be considered unacceptable. Off the cuff is the "new" design is around 30/40% better laid over. That's still a lot of oil getting by. At around 6oz. the oil contamination drops but now lubrication is compromised.

Bottom line, unless you can mount the compressor vertical your going to pump a lot of oil with the air.

At around 10.5 inches in height there is no way I can fit one of these underhood with redesigning the accessory drive package.

Soooo.....it looks like CO2 might be my choice. I don't want to fuck with the electric pumps.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
GIJEEPN

Member # 135100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
Had an interesting conversation with TCC/I the York manufacture and Dan/John from Oasis.

The ER210 is designed to be used in a vertical position. Pictures show it horizontal for AC use, not OBA. Horizontal oil control becomes a big issue. Even with a coalescing filter output air is still contaminated. Which is exactly one bitch I`ve had with my setup. Speculation is perhaps why Kilbly may not have been as successful as he wanted. The oil cannot be controlled adequately when laid over.

TCC/I does make a compressor for OBA usage. They do the plug and drill in the crankcase. Add a scraper ring and a steel sleeve to the "block". Plus the finned head. Oasis is one company that buys these. But here again, once you lay the compressor over with a crankcase full of oil the amount that gets into the discharge side could still be considered unacceptable. Off the cuff is the "new" design is around 30/40% better laid over. That's still a lot of oil getting by. At around 6oz. the oil contamination drops but now lubrication is compromised.

Bottom line, unless you can mount the compressor vertical your going to pump a lot of oil with the air.

At around 10.5 inches in height there is no way I can fit one of these underhood with redesigning the accessory drive package.

Soooo.....it looks like CO2 might be my choice. I don't want to fuck with the electric pumps.
That is some good information to have. I installed a York into my TJ using Kilby's bracketry and a Junk Yard ER210, that I did the modification on the Rockcrawler site to, approximately 5 years ago and it has been rock solid ever since. I started with the recommended amount of oil in the case and added to it every 8-12 months (whenever it looked like the separator had a some in the glass).

I am thinking about ditching it and going with CO2, however, I'm not sure I want to go completely CO2 yet.

Joel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 77571
Bit the bullet and ordered up a PowerTank system. They are having a 18% off sale for the next couple of days. I`ll spend some time and strip off the OBA stuff except for the compressor.

Cheaper ways to go but PT has thought things out very well.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
GIJEEPN

Member # 135100
I put together a DIY CO2 system for like $200. Although I havenít heard of a dissatisfied PT owner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-18-2019, 06:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 77571
I’ll bet it works good too. 👍

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in