Divorced nv271 solution - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2019, 08:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 711417
Divorced nv271 solution

Ok I know you guys have seen this topic a few times but I promise this is different. Iíve searched a bunch for info on this and actually found a solution so I thought Iíd post it. I found a company that makes 271 planetary doubler kits (and similar other things). Well they just came out with a divorced adapter for their doubler so I talked with them and it will work on a standard 271 as well. They quoted me $450 for the adapter with a 1410 ubolt style yoke for a 32 spline input case. The adapter isnít on their site yet so here is the post from FB for anyone interested right now.

https://behemothdrivetrain.com/collections/all

Iím going to use this setup in my 05 duramax SAS in the next year or so and Iíll update this with a review and pictures as soon as I can get that far in my build.

I donít have any affiliation with the company but I know this is info that at least a few people on here have wanted in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by oldchevy4x4; 04-22-2019 at 08:32 AM.
oldchevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2019, 09:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
blatant asshole

Member # 464641
That guy is a pos and id besurprized ever you ever get anything let alone a complete kit.
total newb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2019, 10:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 711417
Dang I see that now. I shoulda known finding something like that at that price was to good to be true. Looks like he might be getting better, maybe. Well if I end up risking it Iíll be sure to report back on what happens.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 135683
I think the old topkick\kodiak 4x4s used a divorced 273 and while I'm not 100% I think that input will fit a 271. I know thats not exactly going to be common to find laying around but might be a part you can still pickup if you can figure out the part #
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2019, 11:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 711417
Yeah from what I have read on the kodiak case the input has been discontinued and I as of yet havenít seen a part number. I was thinking about just finding a yoke/shaft combo thatíll fit in the input and then get the shaft turned down to fit and weld it. From what I can tell that would basically be what was used for the divorced case input

Old 04-22-2019, 10:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 135683
ah ok I didnt know they were disco'd. The one you posted pic of just looks like a splined shaft that has a snap ring groove to retain it and the bearing retainer also keeps the shaft from pulling out due to that snap ring. I would have to wonder if it would allow too much wobble and eat seals\bearings.

I have a 04 yukon XL 2500 I want to sas and keep looking at different T-case options since I have the auto trac at moment and while its nice for the wife I hate the electric BS & have already put too much $$ in.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2019, 12:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Too bad NWF wouldn't make that setup, since they actually ship products... would be handy for a lot of weird applications.

With Behemoth making it, well, it just as well not exist.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DirtyComanche is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2019, 05:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Does anyone actually have a pic of a 271/273 actually installed in a Kodiak/Topkick?

All these "bolt a cover with a bearing in it where the transmission usually goes" type adapters look fine for getting power into the case but they don't actually mount the case in the vehicle and obviously an aluminum case is going to be kind of sensitive about how you do that so it would be nice to see what a bunch of engineers with fancy simulation tools thought was acceptable.

Last edited by arse_sidewards; 04-23-2019 at 05:30 AM.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2019, 07:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 711417
I found a pic the other day but I canít find it now. This is the closest I could get. Basically itís just a flat ring on the front and then a bracket that goes under 2 of the case bolts on the top.

The adapter I originally mentioned has a second bearing that supports the yoke to eliminate the side loads and is why I was looking at it (if only it was from someone that actually makes their products). But from what I can tell the kodiak case doesnít change anything from a normal 271 except have a male spline instead of female on the input shaft/gear

Old 04-23-2019, 09:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
I found this pic online but I figure there's got to be more to it. That footprint does not look sufficient to handle the torque of a transfer case in low range. Parts 4 and 34 in your pic make this make more sense.
Attached Images

Last edited by arse_sidewards; 04-23-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 711417
I was planning on a crossmember/small skid that would have a similar ring at the front and then something similar to that other little brace on the bottom in 1 or 2 bolts just to avoid the case ďhanginĒ off the ring so I could avoid needing to add so much strength. I was going to set the ring up to take all the rotational load since itís how the case was designed to work. I guess at that point it wouldnít be hard to mount a carrier barring and then build a short shaft with splines on the end out of something like the ford output shaft from whatever trans had the 271 attached to it (its a crew cab so I got space to work with).

Old 04-24-2019, 05:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
mj

Member # 1919
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldchevy4x4 View Post
I found a pic the other day but I canít find it now. This is the closest I could get. Basically itís just a flat ring on the front and then a bracket that goes under 2 of the case bolts on the top.

The adapter I originally mentioned has a second bearing that supports the yoke to eliminate the side loads and is why I was looking at it (if only it was from someone that actually makes their products). But from what I can tell the kodiak case doesnít change anything from a normal 271 except have a male spline instead of female on the input shaft/gear

4 18 34 are the three point mounts
mj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2019, 11:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 140878
Look like they actually exists and for a lot of money

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...760&cc=3294436
TrailTamer XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 711417
Holly $hit! Itís cool they actually still exist but for that I could probably just buy a new input of my choosing, send it to someone and say I want a 1410 yoke on this and come out way cheaper.

Or take the picture of the above adapter and have someone else make it for me for probably more like 5-600 and i actually get the parts when Iím done. Or just call it a day and use a divorced 205... but Iíve been avoiding that partially for a little more strength, partly bc I can find 271s easier, and partially because I like making life harder for myself

Old 04-24-2019, 03:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 94308
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailTamer XJ View Post
Look like they actually exists and for a lot of money

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...760&cc=3294436
If it werenít for the core charge, roughly the same $ as a new Hero or Atlas case?

Iíd be working with a machine shop to make a front retainer housing and go that route though. Cheaper and more easily repairable if you were to break something.
wahlstrom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2019, 04:02 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 711417
Yeah I think thatís what Iíll do. So, does anyone know enough about ford trannies to know if the 2wds have the same spline count? Trying to figure out if I could cut down a output shaft/yoke and use it as a stub shaft to save me from having to get a custom shaft machined or maybe chopping up a pinion from a axle

Old 04-25-2019, 08:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 200478
The case halves are different, too. They have extended bosses and through holes where the mounts are supposed to go. Take that into account when you convert one.
isbj60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2019, 04:18 AM   #18 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldchevy4x4 View Post
Yeah I think thatís what Iíll do. So, does anyone know enough about ford trannies to know if the 2wds have the same spline count? Trying to figure out if I could cut down a output shaft/yoke and use it as a stub shaft to save me from having to get a custom shaft machined or maybe chopping up a pinion from a axle

It depends on what your NVG input has. There are three inputs. One of them is the 31spl that tons of stuff, including a lot of 2wd transmissions, uses.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:29 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 711417
I was planning on using a 31 spline from behind a ford auto since dodges have a slip yoke rear. Then see if I could find a ford 2wd auto thatís junk that I could pull the tail shaft and yoke from. So I basically wanted to be sure enough to convince the wife itís time to spend another Saturday poking around at the pull a part since Iím lucky/unlucky enough to have a wife that will go with me lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by isbj60 View Post
The case halves are different, too. They have extended bosses and through holes where the mounts are supposed to go. Take that into account when you convert one.
Ok thanks, thatís info I have yet to be able to find a answer on. Iíll have to just go find a case so I can start looking it over so I can start getting my mount plans nailed down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in