Pirate 4x4 banner

PRP Alpha Seat

5K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  DriverJC 
#1 ·
I'm looking at seats for my 1ton TJ build and have it narrowed down to three choices.

1) PRP Podium: the normal width is a little tight in the kidney area, but everything else is good and really comfortable. The 2" wider model would be even more comfortable, but wouldn't fit in the Jeep.

2) PRP Comp Pro: This one I will need to get the 4" taller model, the 2" wider version is even more comfortable but like the Podium seat would not fit in the Jeep.

3) PRP Alpha: This seat is very tall so I would not need the taller version.
The Extra Wide version of this seat is the same price and external dimensions as the standard version so it should fit well in the Jeep. This one is also 200 more per seat than the Podium.

My question is has anyone else been in, and more importantly, rode in a PRP Alpha seat? I can't seem to find any pictures of this seat being run nor can I find any reviews on this seat.

TIA,
Joel

See less See more
#2 ·
why can't you fit the +2" comp pro? I've got the +4 tall and +2 wide example of that sitting in my garage in bags if you need any other direct measurements

#7 ·
I think my driver seat is mostly centered lol. If the jeep was closer I'd get more pics and measurements.

If you plan to keep full doors you'd probably have to ditch the console and have the seats touching in the middle of the jeep. If I remember right the doors come into the cab a bit and with how mine is setup would likely touch the seat (assuming the door bar wasn't there). It would be a snug fit and you'd be cozy with the passenger.

#8 ·
When I was at KOH this year I checked out the Alpha. I'm about the same size as you (5'11", 225, waist ~ 36-38) and the Alpha Extra Wide fit much better than the regular width Alpha. I don't have any first hand experience actually riding in them. I sat in the Podium as well. I don't remember whether it was a normal or extra wide version, and I think it felt okay, but I think the Alpha was going to be my first pick of PRP - although I have the same questions you do about whether it would actually fit in the Jeep.

I have also been looking at Sparco. My buddy has some in his 4600 class TJ, but I haven't gotten a chance to sit in them and I'm not sure which model. Being on the right coast, there isn't a lot of opportunities to check out how the different seats "fit" myself (1) or the Jeep (2). I do think I am trending towards a hard shell vs. suspension seat.

Will be interested to see what you end up with and how they fit. Definitely trying to avoid the "I bought these new seats and they don't fit" trap :)

#9 ·
I've sat in just about all the seats PRP makes and some of them just irk me, not uncomfortable per se but just didn't sit right (mainly the daily driver ones) lol.

After looking more into the measurements this morning I am mostly convinced that I could put two of the Comp Pro/Elites into a TJ and still be able to close the doors, but it would be tight and I would need to fab up mounts.

At this point I'm leaning toward the Alpha extra wide, with the Comp Pro extra wide/extra tall as close second.

I'm going down to PRP on Friday to see if they have an extra wide Alpha that I can sit in and maybe talk to the crew down there about putting one into a TJ.
Maybe I can set two of them side by side and see what space they take up. lol.

#10 · (Edited)
When I got home this evening I went out and did a whole crap load of measuring and this is what I found. This is with the stock half doors and using the measurements located on the PRP website.

Comp Pro/Elite (They are the same width measurements):
The 2" Extra Wide will not fit with the door closed and still be centered on the steering wheel, it will protrude into the space occupied by the door panel (If doors are removed the seat can be centered on the wheel and fit inside the tub). With doors closed this seat will be 1"-2.25" off center of the steering wheel to the inside of the cab (1" to clear the door panel, and 2.25" to clear the Door pocket). Since the shoulders are approximately 24" wide on this seat there could also be an issue with sliding the seat back as the B-Piller is 10" from the center of the steering wheel (seat will not slide back as far as a stock seat).

Podium Seat:
The 2" Extra Wide will not fit with the door closed and still be centered on the steering wheel, it will protrude into the space occupied by the door panel, the door pocket, and the shoulders will protrude 1/8" into the space occupied by door surrounds. To fit this seat into the tub it will need to be 1-2.25" off center of the steering wheel (1" to clear the door panel and 2.25" to clear the door pocket). Also, since the shoulders are 25.5" wide on this seat there might also be an issue with sliding the seat back as the B-Piller is 10" from the center of the steering wheel (seat will not slide back as far as a stock seat).

Alpha Seat:
As long as the measurements on the site are correct the 2" Extra Wide seat has the same issues as the Comp Pro/Elite however, it will only need to be .5" off center of the steering wheel to the inside of the tub in order to clear the door pocket.

Anyone here have tube doors installed on their early TJ that can get measurements across the cab with the doors closed?

I'm still planning on driving down to PRP on Friday to sit in seats and talk with their crew to see what they think will be best.

Joel.

#13 ·
It's not that I am explicitly looking for a "Hard Shell Seat". I want a seat that is comfortable for long periods of time that will keep me in it when I'm bouncing around the back country.

I have the podium in my tacoma. Very comfortable even for my portly ass.
Podiums are on the list, I just need to figure out how to fit them in my jeep.

#14 · (Edited)
As I mentioned, I went down to PRP this afternoon and spoke to one of their sales associates about the Comp Pro/Elite, Podium Elite, and Alpha seats.

Here is what I found.
1) The Comp Pro and Comp Elite are the same seat with the exception of the Elite being slightly taller from seat to harness opening and the style of the harness openings.

2) While I couldn't get a printed set of dimensions for the Podium seat I did get enough the enough information to help me make a determination on whether or not I could fit it in the Jeep. The seat base is, with few exceptions, the same as the Comp Pro/Elite. Both extra wide seats are 24" across the front of the seat at the top of the bolsters. The standard Podium is 39" tall, with 32" from the seat to the top of the head, and 24" from the seat to the harness opening.

3) The Extra Wide Alpha seats dimensions on the website are correct, so the only difference between the Extra Wide and the Standard width is the extra 2" in the hip area.

Considering this information, I can say that the measurements I did the other day were spot on for all the each of these seats.

Extra Wide versions of the Comp Pro/Elite and the Podium will have to be 1" off center to the inside of the cab to clear the door panel, however, depending on how high you raise the seat depends on whether or not you have to offset it more to clear the door pocket. Figure 1" to clear the door panel and 2.5 to clear the door pocket.

So, installing 2 Extra Wide Podium seats and offsetting them 1" to the inside of the tub will put the shoulders 1" inside the tub at the bed rails and there will be 2.25" between the shoulders of the two seats.

Last night I talked to the wife about it, since she has right seat priority lol, and her take is that I should NOT get the Alpha seats due to the super high bolsters at the thighs and the fact that the front thigh opening is really tight for my legs. So that leaves the Podium, or the elite/pro, on these her advise is to get what ever is more comfortable and if needed cut the door pocket off of the door panel. lol.

I really do not like the seat cushion on the Pro/Elite as the bump in front of the cushion makes my legs fall asleep and I really like the larger harness openings in the Elite versions, however, I found that they can put the Podium seat cushion in the Pro/Elite for no extra charge. Making the decision that much harder. lol.

On a whim I sat in a Enduro Elite Recliner (standard width) and while it is comfortable, I would still need the extra width and at 649 + 40 for the extra width it makes more sense to spend a little more money and get a safer seat.

So the choice is really between the Comp Elite and the Podium Elite.

Podium: 599 + 40 (Extra Wide) + 70 ( 4" Extra Tall) = 709 each or 1418 Total
Elite (w/Podium Cushion): 499 + 40 (Extra Wide) + 70 (4" Extra Tall) = 609 each or 1218 Total.

Since the difference is only $200 I will probably be going with the Podiums as I like the look of that seat more than the Comp seat.

Thanks for all the information and suggestions I really appreciate it.
Joel.

#15 ·
I have the podiums for a buggy but have not installed them yet. They sit real nice on the ground but in comparison to the the Alpha A, the A would probably keep you in the seat better. I recently put the Alpha A's in my SxS and have only ridden around the neighborhood but I really like them. The high sides are not a problem to me at all and they are comfy. I plan to take the SxS out this weekend and can follow up with you on the A's if you would like.

#16 · (Edited)
That would be awesome. I’ve removed the Alpha from consideration due to the size of the front leg opening on the extra wide version. However, I would love to read a review of the seat.

I’ve narrowed it down to either the comp elite/pro or the podium, and I keep going back and forth between the pro or the elite. I really like the larger harness openings that the elite offers, but I like the price of the pro better. Lol

At present the cost for each is:
Podium (2" Extra Wide, 2" Extra Tall, w/Harnesses and Mounts) $1690.00
Elite (2" Extra Wide, 4" Extra Tall, w/Harnesses and Mounts) $1510.00
Pro (2" Extra Wide, 4" Extra Tall, w/Harnesses and Mounts) $1402.00

Thanks
Joel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
cool, thanks for the extra info on the seats :smokin:

i'm surprised that the wide Alpha is just at the hip compared to the standard Alpha, but i guess it would make for a more secure fit overall.

#19 ·
Got to sit in a PRP Alpha Extra Wide yesterday afternoon at the PRP Showroom. Man was that seat comfy.

Red is the standard width version and blue is the extra wide version.

In the photo's you can see that they have widened the hip area of the blue one slightly. When I sat in the standard width seat I felt cramped in the hip and thigh areas, however, when sitting in the extra wide one, everything is snug but totally comfortable. I know it's all in my head, but even the thigh area felt more comfortable.

They also had a standard width version with head containment and I was able to sit in that one as well. I really don't know how the racers have any peripheral vision with the head containment type seats. when I was sitting fully back against the seat the head containment intruded into my peripheral vision enough to partially block it. I would have to lean forward in order to see if someone was next to my door. I totally understand why racers need that type of containment, but it's not for me. lol. Not that I plan on racing anyway.

I also got some other information that one of the designers I was talking to let slip.

For those that have issues fitting the Alpha (it's 38" from base to top) in their cars, PRP is coming out with a version that is a couple inches shorter. They had a prototype of the Head Containment version in their showroom that they were working with, unfortunately, they didn't let me get a picture of the seat since it's still a prototype but they are calling it the "Beta" and from the looks of it they decreased the distance between the shoulder containment area and the head containment area. This change really makes the seat look squatter and wider, although it is the same width as the standard Alpha.

After sitting in the Extra Wide Alpha I'm leaning more heavily in getting that seat for the jeep.

Joel.

#22 ·
So the guys asking for the link on my build thread got my PTSD/Anxiety up so I went ahead and ordered the seats, hopefully they don't realize their error. lol.

I did actually talk to the company yesterday afternoon and they confirmed the price and that it is for two seats.

As you can see the total (with tax and free shipping) is $1269.30 for two seats.

Just so you know PRP retails these seats for $889.00 each and the mounts are 169.00ea for a total without tax and shipping of 2116.00. A 41% discount. This would be why guy at PRP told me to order them through this site.

Considering I've placed my order already I feel comfortable spoon feeding the PBB masses. lol

Here is the link to the page where I purchased them.

PRP Custom Alpha Composite FRONT Seats w| Seat Mounts |Sold in Pairs| - Polaris RZR

I found it by googling the "PRP Alpha Seat For Sale"

Joel.

#25 ·
Well, I got some good news yesterday and it was followed up today with some more good news.

Good News #1:
Yesterday I received an email from FedEx saying they would be delivering my seat order the next day.

Good News #2:
Today I received my seat order. I was rather apprehensive on this as the add definitely said "Sold Per Pair", but the price was so far below PRP's normal retial price that it made me skeptical.

However, all was laid to rest this afternoon when I got home from work and found:

A VERY LARGE box weighing 56#:

That contained:

Two of these:

Here's one without the bags:

So I did end up with 2 seats in the custom colors that I ordered as well as another box weighing 24# that contains the mounts for a Razor SXS that I will most likely adapt to work in my Jeep. All for less than when PRP charges just for the 2 seats.

My fat but does, indeed, fit in them. They are a little snug, but the padding will break in after a while and it will give me a little more motivation to lose some of my "Fat But"

Joel.

#26 ·
I received an email this morning from SidebySideStuff.com asking me to review the seats and my experience buying them. I gave them 5 stars as the experience was excellent and the price was AWESOME, however, I did notice that since the last time I checked on the price it had gone up.

As you can see above when I purchased mine they were 1178 for the pair. however, now they are 1778 for the pair (they are still a 16% discount over directly from PRP).

PRP Alpha Seat

I hope everyone that wanted a set of these purchased them before the price went up.

Joel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.