9" pinion snout bushing vs bearing - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2019, 12:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 940
9" pinion snout bushing vs bearing

Not all up on my 9" lingo so forgive. There seems to be a real problem with the pro gears eating up the small support bearing so what about going with a bushing instead? Could be something you change between race events. I did some surfing but didn't find anything and doubt I'm the first to think of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Deep Cryogenic Tempering Service
[b][SIZE="5"]Find all my products at[/SIZE][/b]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[b][SIZE="4"]916-434-6978
Custom Sway Bars and Axles built to order. [/SIZE][/b]
[b][SIZE="5"]Got 40 spline? I have the hubs, spindles, and axles you need to kickass![/SIZE][/b]
Custom Hummer wheels and centers
Axle Resplining
66CJdean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2019, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Compression Racer

Member # 124313
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66CJdean View Post
Not all up on my 9" lingo so forgive. There seems to be a real problem with the pro gears eating up the small support bearing so what about going with a bushing instead? Could be something you change between race events. I did some surfing but didn't find anything and doubt I'm the first to think of it.
We ran the bushing and in the Ultra 4 racing it burns it up almost immediately.

color="Cyan">
color="DarkOrange">
color="Sienna">
color="LemonChiffon">
color="Red">
color="Yellow">
Shawn Rants
muddnutt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2019, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddnutt View Post
We ran the bushing and in the Ultra 4 racing it burns it up almost immediately.
That was the answer I was sort of expecting due to the load its under. 800 HP 40" tires and the skinny peddle to the floor = not good bushing life.
The fact that I could not find any for sale clued me in that it had been tried 40-50 years ago and found to not be an answer at all.

[b][SIZE="5"]Got 40 spline? I have the hubs, spindles, and axles you need to kickass![/SIZE][/b]
Axle Resplining

Old 06-07-2019, 03:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
ZAG

Member # 14113
could you cut some out of support bearing surface and press fit bearing Shaft Sleeve to pinion
ZAG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2019, 03:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 233239
I've heard people are eliminating the inner cage on that bearing and adding in more rollers going with no inner cage at all. I've heard that on the true hi9 so I'd guess it would work elsewhere but I have no idea of the longevity.
crawlercreations is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2019, 05:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 161331
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlercreations View Post
I've heard people are eliminating the inner cage on that bearing and adding in more rollers going with no inner cage at all. I've heard that on the true hi9 so I'd guess it would work elsewhere but I have no idea of the longevity.
We do this at work on some of the pinion gears in planetary box's that see a lot of load. While it's an easy way to almost double the load capacity, it creates more than twice the heat. These were only spinning around 1500RPM max. On a 9" where you were running high average speeds it could melt down.
bdkw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2019, 05:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Gear works happened to post some good tech today on Instagram about this exact thing. I think there was three post total. A lot of it was over my head honestly.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByazuC9h...=1wmxnf5up1t4r

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByY0xrdh...d=c76eqoojvcnj

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByYxrvMh...d=57g0j1eun3am
Old 06-08-2019, 02:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 53528
someone should try using an oil pump and put an oiling port(or 3) in the bronze bushing similar to how they oil bearings in an engine
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2019, 04:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
someone should try using an oil pump and put an oiling port(or 3) in the bronze bushing similar to how they oil bearings in an engine
I can spiral groove it for the oil to pump its way through no problem and in a low pinion it's submerged in oil.

Axle Resplining
Old 06-08-2019, 06:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66CJdean View Post
I can spiral groove it for the oil to pump its way through no problem and in a low pinion it's submerged in oil.
im thinking neither of those is sufficient hence the failures, not sure if it would work but more oil flow with high pressure(from a pump, mechanical or electric) may help keep it cooler and lubed so it survives, like crank and rod bearings inside an engine.
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2019, 08:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 161331
Doesn't spin fast enough for a good hydrodynamic wedge most of the time.
bdkw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 05:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
Gear works happened to post some good tech today on Instagram about this exact thing. I think there was three post total. A lot of it was over my head honestly.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByazuC9h...=1wmxnf5up1t4r

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByY0xrdh...d=c76eqoojvcnj

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByYxrvMh...d=57g0j1eun3am
Too bad he didn't tell us how he calculated the separation forces.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 06:21 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 94747
Altec used to sell the bronze bushings but I don't think they do any more. The speed the pinion is spinning in a 5.38/5.43 R&P is so fast that the 3rd pinion bearing slings the oil out even when its completely submerged in gear lube. Shawn stated above that we tried the bushing in the EMC class racing with U4. That's with Mega Hi 9's front and rear. We've also tried everything we can think of including the cageless all roller 3rd pinion bearing. We think it slings the oil out without creating a vacuum to get oil pulled back in between the rollers on the high speed full throttle runs and the rollers gall the races. We're back to running a caged bearing for the space between the rollers to let oil in and running the oil level over the top of the 3rd pinion bearing itself. Shawn changes the 3rd pinion bearing every race and we carry them to change at the race if we need to. Even on a short qualifying run the first thing we check on the car for race prep is the 3rd pinion bearings.

Shawn can also snap the 3rd bearing nub off the end of the pinion. That's happened more than a hand full of times.

If I was comp crawling I'd run the bronze bushing no problem. Even low geared with a 6.50:1 ratio I think it would be a great upgrade that would completely eliminate gear deflection (barring case flex).
[COLOR="Red"]MUDDNUTT racing #4531[/COLOR],[COLOR="Cyan"] Falken Tire[/COLOR], [COLOR="Yellow"]ADS[/COLOR], Jimmys4x4,[COLOR="Red"] RuffStuff Specialties[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARB usa[/COLOR], [COLOR="Wheat"]Savvy offroad[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"]Raceline wheels[/COLOR], John Rants
jr4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 09:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 21622
Send a message via AIM to Corey Young Send a message via Yahoo to Corey Young
If you have to change bearings every time you drive a vehicle why not upgrade to a 14 bolt?
Corey Young is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 07:23 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 94747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Young View Post
If you have to change bearings every time you drive a vehicle why not upgrade to a 14 bolt?

A 14 bolt is NOT an upgrade. Just extra weight. No one winning in ultra4 is running a 14B, no one running a 14B is even in the conversation on the topic of who's competitive.

The mega hi and gearworks ring and pinions are over $1000 a set. Junking a thousand dollar gear set for a failed $12 dollar bearing is bad math. We change them as a good practice for checking it every race. All the top 4400 guys do the same. Many are sending their diffs back to Gearworks every single race just making sure they don't have a failure taking them out of a race they traveled 1000 miles to.
[COLOR="Red"]MUDDNUTT racing #4531[/COLOR],[COLOR="Cyan"] Falken Tire[/COLOR], [COLOR="Yellow"]ADS[/COLOR], Jimmys4x4,[COLOR="Red"] RuffStuff Specialties[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARB usa[/COLOR], [COLOR="Wheat"]Savvy offroad[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"]Raceline wheels[/COLOR], John Rants
jr4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 09:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
OCM
Granite Guru

Member # 14091
I run the bushings, hi9 front and rear for the last 4 years. They last a season, about 300 miles of racing. 5.38, 37s, about 400hp at the motor. Switch to a low pinion in the rear after koh18. The low pinion uses the reg bearing. Bought my first set of bushings from altec then made my own after that. You need the proper clearance so that they will not burn up.

Last edited by OCM; 06-12-2019 at 09:21 AM.
OCM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019, 05:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 140878
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4x View Post

A 14 bolt is NOT an upgrade. Just extra weight. No one winning in ultra4 is running a 14B, no one running a 14B is even in the conversation on the topic of who's competitive.

The mega hi and gearworks ring and pinions are over $1000 a set. Junking a thousand dollar gear set for a failed $12 dollar bearing is bad math. We change them as a good practice for checking it every race. All the top 4400 guys do the same. Many are sending their diffs back to Gearworks every single race just making sure they don't have a failure taking them out of a race they traveled 1000 miles to.

Race prep with a 14b is just to check itís oil level & top off with Walmart supertech gear oil as needed. I think $$$ can be used better somewhere else.
TrailTamer XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019, 01:07 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 940
Any idea what temps a diff runs during use?

Axle Resplining
Old 07-10-2019, 01:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
Send a message via AIM to mobil1syn
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4x View Post
its wild to think u4 is getting to TT level prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailTamer XJ View Post

Race prep with a 14b is just to check itís oil level & top off with Walmart supertech gear oil as needed. I think $$$ can be used better somewhere else.
unsprung weight makes cars fast and fast cars win.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in