Coilover decisions (King/Radflo/Profender) - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2019, 01:55 PM   #26 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5639
I thought Radflo used Fox parts? I don't get the tuned vs 'custom' tuned. It's the same thing?

Kindness doesn't condemn or condone

Just Add Lightness

Last edited by Weasel; 06-12-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 01:58 PM   #27 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
I thought Radflo used Fox parts? I don't get the tuned vs 'custom' tuned. It's the same thing?
Radflo makes their own parts.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2019, 02:02 PM   #28 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerfreak View Post
Just curious why the opinion on the Kings? I run Fox coil overs FWIW.
IMO fox pistons and valving are superior. SAW as well. King pistons cavitate easily and damage the deflective discs which imo are made on an inferior material. The discs bend fast and valving is compromised.

& Blaine

Old 06-12-2019, 02:02 PM   #29 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
Send a message via AIM to mobil1syn
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
id like to see a comparison between kings regular line vs their race shit, then again i dont know shit about shocks/coil overs
race gets stainless shafts, a different seal head and piston for coilovers. easiest way to tell is if the king logo is etched or machined into the top cap. as everyone claim their kings have 'race' internals easiest way to tell if there are 3 socket head machine screws or a single set screw.

the bypasses get a overlapping tube layout (aka fox) and steel tappets opposed to plastic in the prerunners and also larger tubes for a better performance. the steel tappet added to the flat design is why cars with king bypasses sound like ball bearings are rolling around in the tubes
Old 06-12-2019, 02:04 PM   #30 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
Send a message via AIM to mobil1syn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
if you ask some of the people who worked at fox back in the day, they refer to radflos as the metric version of fox.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:53 AM   #31 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 78700
Send a message via Yahoo to sickboyboone
Again, Accutune! I will never buy shocks anywhere else. I was all set up to get kings for my dodge and ended up with 2.5 factory Fox’s. When it came tome to upgrade the foa on my jeep, again I was set for kings and ended up with Fox performance which Accutune upgraded to factory series pistons and I got them with the DSC which ended up being an awesome desicion

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2019, 02:43 AM   #32 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 232666
You went with that idiot over Ryan? Wow you have no clue about any of this... accutune builds and tunes shocks and suspension all day every day. It's what they're known for. Every other vendor you talked to, sells parts, not just shocks. Accutune only sells shocks. They custom tune every shock before it leaves the door, then if it's not right, you send it back to them for another tune. All free with the shocks. You fucked up. Good luck dealing with your decision
Old 06-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #33 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 168108
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingfire View Post
You went with that idiot over Ryan? Wow you have no clue about any of this... accutune builds and tunes shocks and suspension all day every day. It's what they're known for. Every other vendor you talked to, sells parts, not just shocks. Accutune only sells shocks. They custom tune every shock before it leaves the door, then if it's not right, you send it back to them for another tune. All free with the shocks. You fucked up. Good luck dealing with your decision
At least radflo seems better than fucked on arrivals and stayaways.
I run fox’s myself but I have ran a set of profender smoothies back in the day without any issues.
dieselboy740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2019, 12:28 PM   #34 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 27775
SAW's are not being run by the same company anymore...AFE has taken over 2 years ago. May want to take another look.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2019, 12:38 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 161331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
King pistons cavitate easily and damage the deflective discs which imo are made on an inferior material. The discs bend fast and valving is compromised.
Really? I have been rebuilding Kings for for a long time and have yet to see a bent or broken shim. And i have seen some abused shocks.

Now the bypass springs, I have seen 2 of those turn inside out and break. Those do some damage.

The O-rings behind the wearband also like to disintegrate when they get really hot.
bdkw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2019, 05:30 PM   #36 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
Really? I have been rebuilding Kings for for a long time and have yet to see a bent or broken shim. And i have seen some abused shocks.

Now the bypass springs, I have seen 2 of those turn inside out and break. Those do some damage.

The O-rings behind the wearband also like to disintegrate when they get really hot.
I have seen it a lot over the years, not broken discs, just not flat. Put on shock dump, install on vehicles drive short distance and watch curves change dramatically.

& Blaine

Old 06-16-2019, 03:06 AM   #37 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
I went with radflo because that is what 4wheelunderground sells and he was local at the time so I was going to use him for tuning as well.

my pile is still just a pile, but once it is together shock tuning has turned into a good reason to head out and do some southwest wheeling so that I can get my monies worth out of him

all that to say this: there is only but so much to do differently internal in the design phase, IF you have a local guy who knows how to tune whatever reputable brand he sells, buy those from them and take the time to get back and get some test and tune time with them.

Great shocks can suck if not set up for your stuff and it can be tough to describe over the phone what exactly is happening to get the fewest time opening everything up to make adjustments so that it matches your vehicle and your terrain.

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2019, 03:43 AM   #38 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 232666
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselboy740 View Post
At least radflo seems better than fucked on arrivals and stayaways.
I run fox’s myself but I have ran a set of profender smoothies back in the day without any issues.
Shock brand is irrelevant, the tard he bought them from is a person I'll never deal with again. Poor customer service, and he doesn't know what he's selling. Radflo shocks are absolutely less tuned then an accutune shock. Radflo is giving you 3 choices, soft medium or hard. Dip shit should know that, but again, he has no clue what he's selling...
Old 06-16-2019, 03:48 AM   #39 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 232666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
I went with radflo because that is what 4wheelunderground sells and he was local at the time so I was going to use him for tuning as well.

my pile is still just a pile, but once it is together shock tuning has turned into a good reason to head out and do some southwest wheeling so that I can get my monies worth out of him

all that to say this: there is only but so much to do differently internal in the design phase, IF you have a local guy who knows how to tune whatever reputable brand he sells, buy those from them and take the time to get back and get some test and tune time with them.

Great shocks can suck if not set up for your stuff and it can be tough to describe over the phone what exactly is happening to get the fewest time opening everything up to make adjustments so that it matches your vehicle and your terrain.
I'd buy local if there was someone even remotely close. No one around me has a good enough shock tuning reputation that i know of. When i pull the trigger on my setup, (hoping i can start next year) I'll be going with fox from accutune. I've had several conversations with Ryan, and feel like he can hit mark pretty close based on my build specs. It's a bummer the guy you bought from moved, but i guess that is life after all.

Last edited by sterlingfire; 06-16-2019 at 03:49 AM.
sterlingfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in