Coilover decisions (King/Radflo/Profender) - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2019, 05:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 728961
Coilover decisions (King/Radflo/Profender)

Alright it's decision time. Here are the candidates I've narrowed it down to:

KING: 2.5" Performance (the entry level line), 12" travel, remote reservoir,
coilovers. Was quoted about $700 per shock, springs included.
(DownSouthMotorsports)

Radflo: 2.5", 12" travel, remote reservoir coilovers. Was quoted about $600
per shock, PAC springs included. (Dave's Offroad)

Profender: 2.5", 12" travel, remote reservoir, compression adjustment knob, about $525 per shock, springs included. (Hired Gun Offroad)

I'm looking for the best Value, if the KINGS are that much better, even their Performance line, I'll get those. But I haven't heard anything bad about Radflo, and I haven't read that much info (good or bad) about Profender. They do look a lot better than FOA shocks, but I know that's not saying much.
texastruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 05:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16522
Why is Profender an option but Fox not? I'd rate Fox over all those personally.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
generalee7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2019, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 212988
Check out ADS too they make a good coil-over

Last edited by HankScorpi0; 06-10-2019 at 05:22 PM.
HankScorpi0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 06:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 728961
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalee7 View Post
Why is Profender an option but Fox not? I'd rate Fox over all those personally.
When I talk to DownSouthMotorsports, they steered me away from Fox. They sell both Fox and King, and without hesitation he recommended the Kings over Fox.

I’ll check out ADS too
Old 06-10-2019, 06:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 225905
I've been running 14" pro fenders for a few years now. I've been very happy with them. I picked up four coilovers with springs for $1400 a few years ago. Couldn't beat the value.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Mihlfeldl2005; 06-10-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Mihlfeldl2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 07:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 728961
That’s a sweet Jeep build man. Good to know Profender’s are working out for you. What vendor did you buy them from? Ever had to re-valve them? I was reading they use oddball shims that can make it a bit of a hassle to re-valve
Old 06-10-2019, 07:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
Send a message via AIM to mobil1syn
who is going to tune them?
why did downsouth recommend kings?
where are you located?
Old 06-10-2019, 08:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 728961
I’m located in Houston, Texas.

DownSouth just said that overall the quality was better on the Kings, parts are easier to come by quickly. Nothing was wrong with the Fox’s, they just felt for that amount of money, just get the Kings.

I’m not too sure who would be tuning the shocks, which is why I asked how easily the Profenders would be to tune.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
Send a message via AIM to mobil1syn
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastruck View Post
I’m located in Houston, Texas.

DownSouth just said that overall the quality was better on the Kings, parts are easier to come by quickly. Nothing was wrong with the Fox’s, they just felt for that amount of money, just get the Kings.

I’m not too sure who would be tuning the shocks, which is why I asked how easily the Profenders would be to tune.
if you plan on tuning yourself price out shims, rebuild kits and the like before making your purchase. certain brands get expensive real quick when it comes to those things. purchase peice is only part of the equation. personally i would steer away from profender due to parts availability, poor selection of shims and the molasses they use for oil.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 73093
Quote:

Here is a good tech article about the quality btw Fox and King.
https://accutuneoffroad.com/articles...ck-comparison/

Since tuning was brought up, you should definitely consider giving AccuTune a call. They know their stuff, 100% dedicated to shocks and valving. Every shock they sell comes tuned for your ride... oh and thats a free service.

https://accutuneoffroad.com/product/...ngs-12-travel/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Overbuilt 97 Wrangler | 40" Black Labels, 14" Fox Coilovers, Trailing Arm Suspension, Atlas 4.3, Warn Winch, fully caged and tested
#BajaJeep @BajaJeep_mike
miguelitojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 09:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
Quote:

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 09:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 728961
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelitojeep View Post
Here is a good tech article about the quality btw Fox and King.
https://accutuneoffroad.com/articles...ck-comparison/

Since tuning was brought up, you should definitely consider giving AccuTune a call. They know their stuff, 100% dedicated to shocks and valving. Every shock they sell comes tuned for your ride... oh and thats a free service.

https://accutuneoffroad.com/product/...ngs-12-travel/

Good article, thanks for sharing. Looks like they put Fox clearly ahead of King. Man, just when I thought I had narrowed it down. I feel like I could debate this until the end of time...
Old 06-11-2019, 02:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
My guess is that downsouth either makes more money off of selling you kings or just isnt familiar with fox.

X2 on calling accutane. They are the only people I would buy shocks from.
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 05:51 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 196897
Filthy Motorsports is a good place to get kings and I agree Accutune is a good way to go as they do a lot of tuning. They know their stuff.

As far as what is better, its more like the ford or chevy thing, people have their preference. I run king on one of my rigs and fox on another. I run the fox coil overs because of cost. They were cheap. I put king on top because of the custom nature of their shocks and the fact you can get parts easily and change/add things if you want. If you have fixed mounting locations you can't change easy a king shock can be built to take full advantage of your sizing with the options they have vs picking a shock that is going to have a fixed compression/extended length. I recently converted a fixed res to a remote for a customer to fit his new build, I just called King and got the parts needed sent to me. You can also find rebuild kits and shims pretty easy. Poly performance and Summit Racing stock several parts and you can just call King and get parts sent to you. We have a summit retail store here at the west coast distribution center so its nice to walk in and pick up the King parts. I have never messed with profender but I would buy from a vender that stocks parts as I could see them being somewhat hard to get since they are a foreign manufacturer.

Good luck with the build.
thedirtman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 06:48 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 728961
I’ll give Accutune a call. Looks like they sell Fox/King on their website. Thanks for all the input guys.

Last edited by texastruck; 06-11-2019 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 27775
Another option for you:
Attached Images

caryt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 07:49 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 863148
Quote:
I’ll give Accutune a call. Looks like they sell Fox/King on their website. Thanks for all the input guys.
Happy to help you get taken care of. (424) 377-0808
AccuTune Offroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 08:13 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 728961
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccuTune Offroad View Post
Happy to help you get taken care of. (424) 377-0808
Thanks, I just called, ya'll are a little busy right now it seems. I'll give ya'll another call on my lunch break.

One thing I was also going to ask when I called, but I guess I'll ask here too, is 2.5" a necessity over 2.0"? I'm not going to be doing a lot of sustained high speed off road. but these shocks are going on a ~6000+ lb. truck (Cummins 12v swapped with Dana 60 front out of a SuperDuty). I would be getting remote reservoirs in either size, just curious if the 2.0" would not be up to the task of controlling that kind of weight.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:40 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 863148
Quote:
Thanks, I just called, ya'll are a little busy right now it seems. I'll give ya'll another call on my lunch break.

One thing I was also going to ask when I called, but I guess I'll ask here too, is 2.5" a necessity over 2.0"? I'm not going to be doing a lot of sustained high speed off road. but these shocks are going on a ~6000+ lb. truck (Cummins 12v swapped with Dana 60 front out of a SuperDuty). I would be getting remote reservoirs in either size, just curious if the 2.0" would not be up to the task of controlling that kind of weight.
DM sent!
AccuTune Offroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 09:09 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 728961
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccuTune Offroad View Post
DM sent!
Received and responded. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2019, 09:49 AM   #21 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 160801
You can tell when someone has a great deal of experience with coilovers; because they look no further than Fox or King. Their products are unrivaled in quality and their service is absolutely amazing. Fox and King have put an incredible amount of research into their products that spans many decades. Other coilovers are low-cost "adequate" versions of the real thing. Fox and King are not companies that won't be around 10 years from now; you will get a lifetime of service.

Most newbz don't understand that service and parts availability is just as important as quality. If you want your COs to work perfectly, there is no "kit" or "recipe" you can buy for a vehicle. You will likely need to change components and do some tuning. 90% of JKs I see running around with their "coilover kits" installed, would be better off just using standard coil springs because their coilovers are way off. King and Fox will always have good parts availability and good service. The places that are licensed to distribute Fox and King coilovers also tend to be companies with fantastic service.

You get what you pay for, and there is no way to cheat that. I have extensive experience with Fox, King, FOA, SAW, and Bilstein. I personally run Kings on all of my rigs (except the rock buggy, which runs ORIs). The only reason I chose King over Fox is because tuning support for King is more convenient where I live and I get parts from them very fast.
desert dogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 03:30 PM   #22 (permalink)
Stunningly Average

Member # 4135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Just curious why the opinion on the Kings? I run Fox coil overs FWIW.
The press is a gang of cruel faggots. Journalism is not a profession or a trade. It is a cheap catch-all for fuckoffs and misfits—a false doorway to the backside of life, a filthy piss-ridden little hole nailed off by the building inspector
wheelerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 12:29 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 728961
I just ordered some RadFlo's. I was going back and forth between Radflo and Fox Factory 2.5's, I was even looking hard at the Profender's as well. But ultimately couldn't find enough info on the Profender's to make me feel comfortable, and they would only be about $90 cheaper than the Radflo's. The Fox Factory's were about $160 more than the Radflo's, so I almost pulled the trigger on them. I called Dave's Offroad to ask his opinion, he said he would personally go with the Radflo's. Both are high quality, both can be tuned well, but Radflo's are custom tuned for you, and getting parts and technical support is easier/faster than with Fox in most cases.

I'm just happy I finally made a decision. I'm sure I would be satisfied with either brand. Thanks for all your input guys.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:03 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 212988
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerfreak View Post
Just curious why the opinion on the Kings? I run Fox coil overs FWIW.
Not sure maybe he was referring to the "parts are easier to come by" line. I know it took forever to get my king 2.5's delivered but overall very happy with them.
HankScorpi0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 01:32 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 53528
id like to see a comparison between kings regular line vs their race shit, then again i dont know shit about shocks/coil overs
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in