Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/index.php)
-   General 4x4 Discussion (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Shocks on a Bronco question. Drives like a boat. (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2683928)

Mr.RatBastard 06-17-2019 06:41 AM

Shocks on a Bronco question. Drives like a boat.

I put a 6" Superlift extended radius arm kit on my 1996 Bronco and it rides like a boat. I used BDS nitro shocks to try and firm it up but they are weak, you can compress them fairly easy by hand. I put Firestone airbags in the rear to help and also for towing. They did help but it's a little bouncy which I blame the shocks for also.
I think Bilsteins would help but I don't want to end up with the same issues. When I look them up they say they are valved for each specific vehicle. Some Broncos had dual front shocks so I don't know if this is part of the problem. I see B6 and B8, not sure of the difference. I want a fairly beefy shock for this truck. A normal Bilstein, I have ran them on several Jeeps and they were much harder to compress than the BDS shocks I have now.
Any help with which shock I should order?

squamch 06-17-2019 07:05 AM

Sway bars

rockota 06-17-2019 07:20 AM

can you elaborate on "rides like a boat" for us land dwellers?

welndmn 06-17-2019 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockota (Post 44485592)
can you elaborate on "rides like a boat" for us land dwellers?

This is lost me, as I am a flat bottom boat person.

Mr.RatBastard 06-17-2019 08:48 AM

Too soft, step in one side of the boat and it leans over. The bags helped a lot with the body roll but it's not just body roll, it's too soft and is in a constant state of moving around like a boat. I think shocks will fix it. That or stiffer front springs and shocks. It does have a front sway bar but there isn't one in the back.
I have a new Motorcraft steering box, Superlift pitman arm, Moog Drag link, Tie rod and ends. Moog Ball joints and Timken wheel bearings. New steering stabilizer. I did the tie rods over the knuckles. Everything is tight and it drives decent it is just too soft for my liking.

xjtony 06-17-2019 09:07 AM

Front sway bar at least, and bilstein 5100 in medium valving should work. They are stiff although I’ve only used the universal ones you buy by length.

Mr.RatBastard 06-17-2019 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjtony (Post 44485752)
Front sway bar at least, and bilstein 5100 in medium valving should work. They are stiff although Iíve only used the universal ones you buy by length.

Where can I find the ones you order by length? At least a chart so I can get the part numbers. I have the measurements I got scared off when I was trying to order them and they said valved specific to the bronco. I have two sets of soft shocks already.

Mr.RatBastard 06-17-2019 09:33 AM

Here's what I came up with for the front: Bilstein (24-065283)
And the rear: 24-185530 B8

Does anybody know what the B8 designation is?

xjtony 06-17-2019 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The 5125 are the ones I’ve dealt with. Come with 5/8 bushing ends with sleeves. Here’s a link to low ranges site that has a chart of em. The valving rates 255/70 is the firmer ones I’ve used. Those bronco specific ones you posted might work if they are long enough to work with your 6” lift.
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/bilst...25-shocks.html

mobil1syn 06-17-2019 10:19 AM

is this your first beamed vehicle?

Mr.RatBastard 06-17-2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobil1syn (Post 44485870)
is this your first beamed vehicle?

Yes it is.

Mr.RatBastard 06-17-2019 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjtony (Post 44485862)
The 5125 are the ones Iíve dealt with. Come with 5/8 bushing ends with sleeves. Hereís a link to low ranges site that has a chart of em. The valving rates 255/70 is the firmer ones Iíve used. Those bronco specific ones you posted might work if they are long enough to work with your 6Ē lift.
Bilstein 5125 Shocks

Thanks!

Mr.RatBastard 06-17-2019 11:48 AM

I may have jumped the gun too quick. I ordered the ones I listed. Front and rear will have about 3.5" droop and the front 4 3/4" up travel and the rear 7" up. This is a daily driver that will only see mild trails. 3 1/2" droop ok?

Beat95YJ 06-17-2019 11:51 AM

I think you are going to be unhappy with those billsteins. They have a lot of rebound and minimal compression. In my experience with TTB and beams you want a lot more compression. You don’t need excessive rebound. I think I would probably call Accutune and get some shocks valved for the vehicle. Or call PolyPerformance. Either way get something that is rebuildable.

Are you running two or four shocks on the front?

Mr.RatBastard 06-17-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beat95YJ (Post 44486000)
I think you were going to be unhappy with those billsteins. They have a lot of rebound and minimal compression. In my experience with TTB and beams you want a lot more compression. You donít need excessive rebound. I think I would probably call Accutune and get some shocks valved for the vehicle. Or call PolyPerformance. Either way get something that is rebuildable.

Are you running two or four shocks on the front?

Single shocks in the front. Wouldn't the "lot of rebound and minimal compression" equate to being stiff? or do I have that backwards?

mobil1syn 06-17-2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.RatBastard (Post 44485964)
Yes it is.

short wheel base and beams make for some interesting handling, especially with a 6" superlift. not sure what to tell you other then make sure the steering angle matches the beam angle, ditch the airbags because im sure towing with that setup has to be sketchy as hell. i would also venture to say the kit is over sprung which isnt doing you any favors.

Mr.RatBastard 06-17-2019 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobil1syn (Post 44486026)
short wheel base and beams make for some interesting handling, especially with a 6" superlift. not sure what to tell you other then make sure the steering angle matches the beam angle, ditch the airbags because im sure towing with that setup has to be sketchy as hell. i would also venture to say the kit is over sprung which isnt doing you any favors.

I bought a pair of 4" Procomp springs that have a higher rate. I am debating removing 2" of lift. The airbags have helped the most. Before the bags I felt like I could move the truck up and down 6" standing beside it holding it at the top of the door. I towed a heavy equipment trailer(empty) and a small trailer approx 1750lb and it did great with the bags. Those really aren't much of a load.
It would be great for someone wanting to ride on their couch. These are also the first 15" wheels I have had in a long time. I am sure the big sidewalls aren't helping. I am running 30 psi.

45acp 06-17-2019 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobil1syn (Post 44486026)

This ^

It's gonna be really hard to get a super short wheelbase twin tractor beam to ride and handle great with that much lift.

Beat95YJ 06-17-2019 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.RatBastard (Post 44486020)
Single shocks in the front. Wouldn't the "lot of rebound and minimal compression" equate to being stiff? or do I have that backwards?

Excessive rebound or compression can make a ride stiff. Bouncy can be a result of a stiff or soft shock both. It sounds like your issue is float on compression, leading me to believe that you would like more compression. I built a f150 that rode nice with crazy amounts of compression. Iím amazed what a ttb will take.

The rebound just needs to control the spring. More spring rate requires more rebound. High rebound, high spring rate, minimal compression are common in passenger and performance cars, doesnít translate well to trucks imo.

mobil1syn 06-17-2019 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.RatBastard (Post 44486036)
I bought a pair of 4" Procomp springs that have a higher rate. I am debating removing 2" of lift. The airbags have helped the most. Before the bags I felt like I could move the truck up and down 6" standing beside it holding it at the top of the door. I towed a heavy equipment trailer(empty) and a small trailer approx 1750lb and it did great with the bags. Those really aren't much of a load.
It would be great for someone wanting to ride on their couch. These are also the first 15" wheels I have had in a long time. I am sure the big sidewalls aren't helping. I am running 30 psi.

are you running drop brackets?
did you drop the pitman arm?
did you lift the rear or solely relying on the bags for ride height?

Mr.RatBastard 06-17-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobil1syn (Post 44486130)
are you running drop brackets?
did you drop the pitman arm?
did you lift the rear or solely relying on the bags for ride height?

Yes I have the drop brackets. Everything looks tight, I also replaced the pivot bushings. I have a 4" drop pitman arm and the TRE's on top of the knuckle. That got me pretty close to parallel with the beams. Technically this is 1" off parallel but the way Superlift had it was 2" off. I bought a new stock arm to put on if I switch to the 4" front springs. With the TRE flip I will still be 1" off.

I am running blocks in the rear. My stock springs still have a decent arch to them so I didn't think they were too worn out. The bags are adding about an inch of lift at 35psi. I also ordered a shorter block so I can keep the bags where I want them. and reduce the overall height.

Mr.RatBastard 06-17-2019 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beat95YJ (Post 44486106)
Excessive rebound or compression can make a ride stiff. Bouncy can be a result of a stiff or soft shock both. It sounds like your issue is float on compression, leading me to believe that you would like more compression. I built a f150 that rode nice with crazy amounts of compression. Iím amazed what a ttb will take.

The rebound just needs to control the spring. More spring rate requires more rebound. High rebound, high spring rate, minimal compression are common in passenger and performance cars, doesnít translate well to trucks imo.

Thanks for the explanation. Remember though this is a dd and a utility trailer hauler. It is tall for what I am doing but trail performance is low on the list of priorities compared to street ability. I may have picked the wrong vehicle but overall I like it and at this point I want it to drive right just because I don't want it to win this battle. I am getting close, I know it can be better.

Mr.RatBastard 06-17-2019 01:42 PM

Truck we are talking about with a backhoe attachment in tow.

https://i.postimg.cc/xdqt9WzS/IMG-20...-153552470.jpg

mobil1syn 06-17-2019 02:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[quote=Mr.RatBastard;44486176]Truck we are talking about with a backhoe attachment in tow.

throw the superlift kit in the garbage, add a coilover and a good shock for the rear.

Mr.RatBastard 06-17-2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobil1syn (Post 44486208)
throw the superlift kit in the garbage, add a coilover and a good shock for the rear.

I could be wrong but I don't think I will have to go that far. Fact is I should have done a sas but I was trying to keep it simple. The ttb isn't simple and I would have been money ahead if I would have went that direction I think. I am in it now so I will try to work it out or sell off parts and start over.