Shocks on a Bronco question. Drives like a boat. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2019, 06:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 9307
Shocks on a Bronco question. Drives like a boat.

I put a 6" Superlift extended radius arm kit on my 1996 Bronco and it rides like a boat. I used BDS nitro shocks to try and firm it up but they are weak, you can compress them fairly easy by hand. I put Firestone airbags in the rear to help and also for towing. They did help but it's a little bouncy which I blame the shocks for also.
I think Bilsteins would help but I don't want to end up with the same issues. When I look them up they say they are valved for each specific vehicle. Some Broncos had dual front shocks so I don't know if this is part of the problem. I see B6 and B8, not sure of the difference. I want a fairly beefy shock for this truck. A normal Bilstein, I have ran them on several Jeeps and they were much harder to compress than the BDS shocks I have now.
Any help with which shock I should order?
Old 06-17-2019, 07:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 67823
Sway bars
Old 06-17-2019, 07:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 5371
Send a message via MSN to rockota
can you elaborate on "rides like a boat" for us land dwellers?
rockota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 08:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockota View Post
can you elaborate on "rides like a boat" for us land dwellers?
This is lost me, as I am a flat bottom boat person.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2019, 08:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 9307
Too soft, step in one side of the boat and it leans over. The bags helped a lot with the body roll but it's not just body roll, it's too soft and is in a constant state of moving around like a boat. I think shocks will fix it. That or stiffer front springs and shocks. It does have a front sway bar but there isn't one in the back.
I have a new Motorcraft steering box, Superlift pitman arm, Moog Drag link, Tie rod and ends. Moog Ball joints and Timken wheel bearings. New steering stabilizer. I did the tie rods over the knuckles. Everything is tight and it drives decent it is just too soft for my liking.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 50866
Front sway bar at least, and bilstein 5100 in medium valving should work. They are stiff although I’ve only used the universal ones you buy by length.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 9307
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjtony View Post
Front sway bar at least, and bilstein 5100 in medium valving should work. They are stiff although Iíve only used the universal ones you buy by length.
Where can I find the ones you order by length? At least a chart so I can get the part numbers. I have the measurements I got scared off when I was trying to order them and they said valved specific to the bronco. I have two sets of soft shocks already.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 9307
Here's what I came up with for the front: Bilstein (24-065283)
And the rear: 24-185530 B8

Does anybody know what the B8 designation is?
Old 06-17-2019, 10:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 50866
The 5125 are the ones I’ve dealt with. Come with 5/8 bushing ends with sleeves. Here’s a link to low ranges site that has a chart of em. The valving rates 255/70 is the firmer ones I’ve used. Those bronco specific ones you posted might work if they are long enough to work with your 6” lift.
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/bilst...25-shocks.html
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2019, 10:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
Send a message via AIM to mobil1syn
is this your first beamed vehicle?
Old 06-17-2019, 11:30 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 9307
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobil1syn View Post
is this your first beamed vehicle?
Yes it is.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 9307
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjtony View Post
The 5125 are the ones Iíve dealt with. Come with 5/8 bushing ends with sleeves. Hereís a link to low ranges site that has a chart of em. The valving rates 255/70 is the firmer ones Iíve used. Those bronco specific ones you posted might work if they are long enough to work with your 6Ē lift.
Bilstein 5125 Shocks
Thanks!
Old 06-17-2019, 11:48 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 9307
I may have jumped the gun too quick. I ordered the ones I listed. Front and rear will have about 3.5" droop and the front 4 3/4" up travel and the rear 7" up. This is a daily driver that will only see mild trails. 3 1/2" droop ok?
Old 06-17-2019, 11:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
I think you are going to be unhappy with those billsteins. They have a lot of rebound and minimal compression. In my experience with TTB and beams you want a lot more compression. You don’t need excessive rebound. I think I would probably call Accutune and get some shocks valved for the vehicle. Or call PolyPerformance. Either way get something that is rebuildable.

Are you running two or four shocks on the front?

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:

Last edited by Beat95YJ; 06-17-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2019, 12:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 9307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
I think you were going to be unhappy with those billsteins. They have a lot of rebound and minimal compression. In my experience with TTB and beams you want a lot more compression. You donít need excessive rebound. I think I would probably call Accutune and get some shocks valved for the vehicle. Or call PolyPerformance. Either way get something that is rebuildable.

Are you running two or four shocks on the front?
Single shocks in the front. Wouldn't the "lot of rebound and minimal compression" equate to being stiff? or do I have that backwards?
Old 06-17-2019, 12:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RatBastard View Post
Yes it is.
short wheel base and beams make for some interesting handling, especially with a 6" superlift. not sure what to tell you other then make sure the steering angle matches the beam angle, ditch the airbags because im sure towing with that setup has to be sketchy as hell. i would also venture to say the kit is over sprung which isnt doing you any favors.

Last edited by mobil1syn; 06-17-2019 at 12:07 PM.
mobil1syn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 9307
Quote:
short wheel base and beams make for some interesting handling, especially with a 6" superlift. not sure what to tell you other then make sure the steering angle matches the beam angle, ditch the airbags because im sure towing with that setup has to be sketchy as hell. i would also venture to say the kit is over sprung which isnt doing you any favors.
I bought a pair of 4" Procomp springs that have a higher rate. I am debating removing 2" of lift. The airbags have helped the most. Before the bags I felt like I could move the truck up and down 6" standing beside it holding it at the top of the door. I towed a heavy equipment trailer(empty) and a small trailer approx 1750lb and it did great with the bags. Those really aren't much of a load.
It would be great for someone wanting to ride on their couch. These are also the first 15" wheels I have had in a long time. I am sure the big sidewalls aren't helping. I am running 30 psi.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 13671
Quote:
This ^

It's gonna be really hard to get a super short wheelbase twin tractor beam to ride and handle great with that much lift.
45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2019, 12:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Single shocks in the front. Wouldn't the "lot of rebound and minimal compression" equate to being stiff? or do I have that backwards?
Excessive rebound or compression can make a ride stiff. Bouncy can be a result of a stiff or soft shock both. It sounds like your issue is float on compression, leading me to believe that you would like more compression. I built a f150 that rode nice with crazy amounts of compression. Iím amazed what a ttb will take.

The rebound just needs to control the spring. More spring rate requires more rebound. High rebound, high spring rate, minimal compression are common in passenger and performance cars, doesnít translate well to trucks imo.

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2019, 01:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
Quote:
I bought a pair of 4" Procomp springs that have a higher rate. I am debating removing 2" of lift. The airbags have helped the most. Before the bags I felt like I could move the truck up and down 6" standing beside it holding it at the top of the door. I towed a heavy equipment trailer(empty) and a small trailer approx 1750lb and it did great with the bags. Those really aren't much of a load.
It would be great for someone wanting to ride on their couch. These are also the first 15" wheels I have had in a long time. I am sure the big sidewalls aren't helping. I am running 30 psi.
are you running drop brackets?
did you drop the pitman arm?
did you lift the rear or solely relying on the bags for ride height?
Old 06-17-2019, 01:34 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 9307
Quote:
are you running drop brackets?
did you drop the pitman arm?
did you lift the rear or solely relying on the bags for ride height?
Yes I have the drop brackets. Everything looks tight, I also replaced the pivot bushings. I have a 4" drop pitman arm and the TRE's on top of the knuckle. That got me pretty close to parallel with the beams. Technically this is 1" off parallel but the way Superlift had it was 2" off. I bought a new stock arm to put on if I switch to the 4" front springs. With the TRE flip I will still be 1" off.

I am running blocks in the rear. My stock springs still have a decent arch to them so I didn't think they were too worn out. The bags are adding about an inch of lift at 35psi. I also ordered a shorter block so I can keep the bags where I want them. and reduce the overall height.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:40 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 9307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Excessive rebound or compression can make a ride stiff. Bouncy can be a result of a stiff or soft shock both. It sounds like your issue is float on compression, leading me to believe that you would like more compression. I built a f150 that rode nice with crazy amounts of compression. Iím amazed what a ttb will take.

The rebound just needs to control the spring. More spring rate requires more rebound. High rebound, high spring rate, minimal compression are common in passenger and performance cars, doesnít translate well to trucks imo.
Thanks for the explanation. Remember though this is a dd and a utility trailer hauler. It is tall for what I am doing but trail performance is low on the list of priorities compared to street ability. I may have picked the wrong vehicle but overall I like it and at this point I want it to drive right just because I don't want it to win this battle. I am getting close, I know it can be better.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:42 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 9307
Truck we are talking about with a backhoe attachment in tow.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:15 PM   #24 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
[quote=Mr.RatBastard;44486176]Truck we are talking about with a backhoe attachment in tow.

throw the superlift kit in the garbage, add a coilover and a good shock for the rear.
Attached Images

Last edited by mobil1syn; 06-17-2019 at 02:18 PM.
mobil1syn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2019, 02:26 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 9307
Quote:
throw the superlift kit in the garbage, add a coilover and a good shock for the rear.
I could be wrong but I don't think I will have to go that far. Fact is I should have done a sas but I was trying to keep it simple. The ttb isn't simple and I would have been money ahead if I would have went that direction I think. I am in it now so I will try to work it out or sell off parts and start over.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in