differentials - is there a good option for LSD+locking? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2019, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 227405
differentials - is there a good option for LSD+locking?

What the title says. I know of the ECTED and the E-locker. But they both seem to have more complaints than praise. Not really locking up, not lasting very long, etc.

Why is this so hard for everyone to make? Just take a classic clutch-type LSD and add a decent manual locking feature. Is that so difficult?

Yeah, I know, it's never gonna be as strong as a spool or a Detroit. That's okay. Not everybody has a 6000-lb truck with 44" tires. I'm just looking for decent item that does what it claims and keeps working for more than a year.

Last edited by flyhigh; 07-24-2019 at 11:37 AM.
flyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2019, 12:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 78700
Send a message via Yahoo to sickboyboone
So far, I’ve had REALLY good experiences with my elocker in the front. That said, it is open and locked. I “think” the ected is limited and locked????. I was steered away from that one. That said, if you have 100% lock and 100% open, why would you want a mostly limited slip? If it’s open and you have problems flip the switch and it’s locked. I’m not saying buy an elocker. Arbs and the others have a better reputation. I’m just saying I bought an elocker for my front diff and it works fine. If it fails on me I will let you know....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2019, 06:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 4135
Don't the newer Dodge...er Ram, trucks have a torsen type LS and locker combo in the power wagon? They use AAM axles, so maybe that will apply to whatever axle you have if you can find a wrecked Ram.
The press is a gang of cruel faggots. Journalism is not a profession or a trade. It is a cheap catch-all for fuckoffs and misfits—a false doorway to the backside of life, a filthy piss-ridden little hole nailed off by the building inspector
wheelerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 02:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 227405
newer Dodge Rams:
They did put torsens in some of them. But I think the locking diff versions are fully-open when they aren't locked. I'll have to look into that.

E-locker:
This project is gonna see some speed & cornering. It needs the limited-slip feature to be there normally. If it's an either/or decision then I would choose the full-time LSD and forego the locking option.

It's going in a Ford 8.8" for whatever that's worth.
flyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2019, 05:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 161331
No experience with them, but they seem to almost be what you are looking for.

Wavetrac® Differential - A torque biasing differential with a difference
bdkw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2019, 08:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 177092
Like mentioned already, ELockers are either 100% open or 100% locked (spool). They do not have a LSD mode.

I have Elockers front and rear (D35 front & Ford 8.8" rear) and I have been happy with them for the most part. In my opinion, electric is a way better way to go than air. You don't need to shell out a few hundred dollars on top of the cost of the locker for a compressor, trail repairs are easier if the wires vs. hose get damaged, and they can't leak internally and pressurize your housing and blow all your gear oil out. They work seamlessly and are dead silent.

That said, I did have to rebuild the ELocker in my 8.8", and I would say I never abused it. The rebuild kit cost somewhere around $150-$200 and replaced the spiders, cross pin, and locking pins. Eaton has two different locking designs: Ball and ramp, and locking collar. The ball and ramp design (used in the 8.8" as well as other axles) unlocks every time you change direction and has to re-engage. This is particularly bad if you are going between forward and reverse a lot like when you are trying to rock your vehicle to get unstuck, or reposition your line on an obstacle in tight quarters. This tears the piss out of the locking pins and the slots on the back side of the spider gears. Eventually the pins will just skip out of the slots and the locker will not be able to stay locked under any kind of load. Supposedly, the collar locking design doesn't have this problem. I am not positive what design the Dana 35 uses, but I haven't had any issue with my front Elocker. Knowing what I know now about the Elocker, I wouldn't buy another ball and ramp model, but I would buy a locking collar model.

As to your original question, the only aftermarket selectable LSD-Locker currently on the market is the Auburn ECTED. The problem with these is they "lock" by clamping the traditional limited slip clutches with an electromagnet. As the clutches wear, the locker loses the ability to lock up and will wear out just like any other clutch-type limited slip.

Back in the day there was the Detroit Electrac which I believe was based on a torsen style limited slip and provided 100% mechanical lockup. I don't know if they were ever offered for an 8.8", but even if they were, I am sure it would be nearly impossible to find one.

I can see the benefit of having and LSD when unlocked, but I don't think it is enough of a benefit to make the ECTED worth going with over an ARB, Zip, Ox, or Elocker.

Last edited by '84 Bronco II; 07-25-2019 at 08:11 PM.
'84 Bronco II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2019, 07:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 161331
Quote:
Originally Posted by '84 Bronco II View Post
Back in the day there was the Detroit Electrac which I believe was based on a torsen style limited slip and provided 100% mechanical lockup. I don't know if they were ever offered for an 8.8", but even if they were, I am sure it would be nearly impossible to find one.
Those never made it to production, killed off in the prototype phase. Which is a real bummer cause I wanted one.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 177092
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
Those never made it to production, killed off in the prototype phase. Which is a real bummer cause I wanted one.
Are you sure about that? https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...-electrac.html
Old 07-27-2019, 08:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 104602
That thread is 13 years old.
Baldy110 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2019, 10:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by '84 Bronco II View Post
I believe they had a very short lived production for limited models. Failure rate was likely 100%.

A friend had one. He blew it up. He got it from a sponsor, they took it back and gave him a regular Detroit and it was never mentioned again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2019, 07:35 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 161331
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
I believe they had a very short lived production for limited models. Failure rate was likely 100%.
Apparently

I was told that by an Detroit rep at the off-road expo. Judging by the thread linked above, he was probably trying to forget they ever existed
Old 07-28-2019, 12:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 177092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy110 View Post
That thread is 13 years old.
Why yes it is, which is why I had mentioned that they existed "back in the day."
Old 07-29-2019, 06:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 871068
Quote:
No experience with them, but they seem to almost be what you are looking for.

Wavetrac® Differential - A torque biasing differential with a difference
Uh...that thing is badass. In principle anyway, would be cool to see real world results and longevity.

Sadly no options for my Toyota or Ford axles...
Tacupra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2019, 08:23 AM   #14 (permalink)
Sand Pounder

Member # 850944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacupra View Post
Uh...that thing is badass. In principle anyway, would be cool to see real world results and longevity.

Sadly no options for my Toyota or Ford axles...
If I'm remembering right isn't that the differential that David Freiburger runs in the 9" in the crusher camaro? I know drag racing doesn't say much for a differential's offroad durability but I think he says they work pretty good.
'85 Honda ATC350x
'75 Chevy K20 on tons
Willis_racing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2019, 08:15 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 40450
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post

A friend had one. He blew it up. He got it from a sponsor, they took it back and gave him a regular Detroit and it was never mentioned again.
I bought one for my XJ Dana 44 when they first came out. The instruction book failed to mention how to adjust the actuator and I could never get it to work right. It made terrible noises until it went silent and didn't work anymore (that was over the span of 2 days).
MDMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2019, 09:06 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 290826
AAM TracRite GTL, can find them in Powerwagon 10.5's and 11.5's. Helical limited slip with a mechanical lockup elocker.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in