Goatbuilt 1200 LJ/TJ Chassis Build - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2019, 11:34 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 63692
Very Clean! Can't wait to see more. Thanks for posting.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:23 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 616538
Quick detour......

We are going on a bit of a detour. The rear axle was built around 10 months ago, and substantial progress has been made on the Jeep build, but I don't want to post everything all at once and have nothing to keep the thread alive, so let the detour(s) begin.

I didn't want to go another summer without some sort of toy, and I love motorcycles. At the same time I wasn't trying to spend a bunch of money on a bike in the middle of a jeep build.

Enter the white and pink sparkly 2002 SV650. I picked up the bike for a grand, but it was kind of rough. It needed the carbs rebuilt, forks rebuilt, chain and sprocket, wheel bearings, and a bunch of other maintenance. Oh, and it had pink wheels.

The night I brought it to the shop, not running, no battery, and in desperate need of tires.

Stripped it down as far as necessary, and did a detailed assessment of what needed to be repaired/replaced.

Gave her a bath. Having a forklift sure is handy.

Wisconsinite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2019, 10:25 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 616538
I stripped the pink orangish powder coat off, and prepped them for a quick coat of duplicolor.

I wanted the tires mounted before I painted, so I didn't mess up the fresh paint. If anyone reading this needs to mount a set of motorcycle tires, youtube the zip tie method. I was skeptical at first, but holy mackerel was that a breeze. I used balance beads for balance them out, and they work very well.

I found these wheel stickers on eBay, and they are 3M reflective vinyl. I think they look neat, YMMV.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:27 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 616538
Next order of business was painting the plastics and tank. Being a budget project, I opted for $5 a can duplicolor spray bombs. With a little prep work, and warming up the spray paint in a water bath, the results were acceptable.

I reassembled everything and took her on her maiden voyage for some fresh fuel. I have roughly 2000 miles on it this summer and average 46 mpg. I'll take that.

Thanks for looking, and stay tuned for future updates. This Jeep is going to be rad.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:36 PM   #30 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
I like the bike Josh! I’ll have to take it for a spin the next time I’m there.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:

Last edited by Beat95YJ; 08-23-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 10:39 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 616538
Thanks! But that means you have to come visit us first!
Old 08-25-2019, 12:32 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 616538
Back on track for a bit now. Spidertrax just released a few new products for their Spider9 housings. They introduced a new skid plate system and a knuckle gusset kit. I fit one of the skid plates to the rear housing. Like all Spidertrax products the fit and finish was great.

Since I had it on the table, I wanted to address the fill cap issue. I came up with a design and plotted it on a piece of .25" Domex100. I scored the material and bent it in position. Once the bends were even and I had the part fit to the housing, I welded the slot closed.

Old 08-25-2019, 12:46 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 616538

-6 AN fitting that will run to a catch can for the diff breather.

I wanted to know the weight of the axle for future reference:

Hub: 21.5 lbs
Rotor: 10.5 lbs
Caliper and bracket: 7.5 lbs
Third member: 77 lbs
Axle shafts: 27.5 lbs
Housing with link bolts: 128 lbs
Misc. plumbing: 3 lbs (estimated)
Oil: 7 lbs (estimated)
Limit strap tabs: 1 lbs (estimated)
Sway bar tabs: 2 lbs (estimated)

TOTAL REAR AXLE WEIGHT: 324.5 lbs

Last edited by Wisconsinite; 08-25-2019 at 12:47 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:08 AM   #34 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
How wide is the axle?

& Blaine

Old 08-25-2019, 01:13 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 616538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
How wide is the axle?
69.25 WMS

I am estimating ~85" overall width.

Last edited by Wisconsinite; 08-25-2019 at 01:13 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:22 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 616538
Wheels and Tires

At KOH last year, I picked up a set of Goodyear Wrangler MTR stickies, then wrapped them around some racelines

Sitting next to a 37" BFG.

I was happy to see the FedEx guy..

Wanted to have some fun, so I rolled it out next to my hot rod.

Teaser pic.

The wheel, tires, and balance beads weigh 123.5 lbs.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:24 PM   #37 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Details on blue Jeep TJ pls.

& Blaine

Old 08-26-2019, 08:05 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 616538
That is Drew's old TJ from his days back in California. I bought it from him about two years ago and that was going to be my new wheeler. I designed a rear back half kit for trailing arms, rear truss system, and was gung ho about getting her up and running.

Specs:

1997 Jeep Wrangler

Custom 3 link front with Currie coils and Fox 2.0 remote res shocks.

Rubicon 44 front, heat treated chomo tubes, chromo shafts, CTMs, and JK outers. New 5.13 gears and install kit.

Custom 3 link rear with Currie coils and Fox chrome and blue bypass shocks.

Rear RockJock 60 with 35 spline chomo shafts. New 5.13 gears and install kit.

Tan interior and new soft top.

A quick stinger I made. This was my first time really working with tube, and I think it came out pretty good.

With a RockJock having the diff cover at an angle, it makes trussing them a bit difficult. It almost has to be removable to get the diff out. This is what I came up with:

Old 08-26-2019, 08:11 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 616538
And the back half kit. Would have worked with the trailing arms, gave a 4" increase in wheel base, and an increase in rear wheel travel:

This is where I want the axle to be located. That is a 37" tire, so a 40" should fit.

A mash up of both frames.

Rear shot. The rear bumper is roughly 5" higher than stock.

I had all these parts cut, and fit the rear truss, and was really excited to have a capable Jeep on 37s with lockers. Then Drew finished off the design for the LJ buggy, and there was no turning back.

It is for sale now if anyone is interested
Old 08-26-2019, 08:14 PM   #40 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
wow, nice

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2019, 02:09 PM   #41 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Very cool, everything is top notch! I'm excited to see how this progresses. I'm glad I got to meet you and Drew at KOH around the TJ chassis. Also very happy with the customer service you two have put out as I've bought a few of the Goat Built products for my rig.

It's funny you ended up modeling a new rear TJ frame. I did the same but with round tube! Keep up the good work!

Thread hijack real quick, maybe it will help give ideas

Bypass mounts and tub notch with cover:

2013 Raptor SuperCrew Tow Rig
Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2019, 02:37 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 616538
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxracer View Post
Very cool, everything is top notch! I'm excited to see how this progresses. I'm glad I got to meet you and Drew at KOH around the TJ chassis. Also very happy with the customer service you two have put out as I've bought a few of the Goat Built products for my rig.

It's funny you ended up modeling a new rear TJ frame. I did the same but with round tube! Keep up the good work!

Thread hijack real quick, maybe it will help give ideas
Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, it was nice meeting you too. I'm not sure if you remember of not, but I purchased the TJ-LS engine mounts from you back in 2017. They were for the TJ project above.

I like the idea of round tube, but I was trying to make the rear strong enough I woudn't need the crossmember, and could use the stock tank. You are using a fuel cell in the "bed"?
Old 08-27-2019, 02:48 PM   #43 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsinite View Post
Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, it was nice meeting you too. I'm not sure if you remember of not, but I purchased the TJ-LS engine mounts from you back in 2017. They were for the TJ project above.

I like the idea of round tube, but I was trying to make the rear strong enough I woudn't need the crossmember, and could use the stock tank. You are using a fuel cell in the "bed"?
Yup, I remember!

Close, RCI 2162A under the bed with a beefy skid. I have about 5" of rear stretch and could probably use a stretch TJ tank but I'd still have to get the frame out of the way. Bypasses need room and I'm only 63.5" WMS in the rear. So I'm cutting some tub out and running the frame underneath. It's a bit more work and a compromise but I'm already down this path so it's my best option. I would have much rather kept a stock tank like you're doing.

2013 Raptor SuperCrew Tow Rig
Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2019, 09:13 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 616538
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxracer View Post
Yup, I remember!

Close, RCI 2162A under the bed with a beefy skid. I have about 5" of rear stretch and could probably use a stretch TJ tank but I'd still have to get the frame out of the way. Bypasses need room and I'm only 63.5" WMS in the rear. So I'm cutting some tub out and running the frame underneath. It's a bit more work and a compromise but I'm already down this path so it's my best option. I would have much rather kept a stock tank like you're doing.
Gotcha. Can't wait to see it done.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:17 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 616538
I worked on the front axle next.

FRONT AXLE SPECS:

In the same fashion as the rear axle, I marked the tubes where I wanted them cut, set it up in the band saw and cut the housing to length.

Set the pinion angle caster, squared up the inner cs and tacked them in position. I also opted to install the outboard oil seal kit as a preventative measure, I didn't want the axle tubes to get full of dirt and debris. I had Brandon from Fyrehill Fab come over and burn them in, and he did a stellar job!

Old 08-27-2019, 09:20 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 616538
Next the front lower control arm mounts were fit and welded.

The next order of business was fitting the front truss.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:26 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 863148
Awesome build!

*FREE* Custom tuning on purchased shocks. Fox Shocks, King Shocks & more!
AccuTune Offroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2019, 02:03 PM   #48 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 160801
Such a badass build! What I should have done with my TJ.
desert dogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2019, 02:20 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 616538
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccuTune Offroad View Post
Awesome build!
Thanks! PM sent regarding shock tuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dogg View Post
Such a badass build! What I should have done with my TJ.
Thanks. It isn't too late
Old 09-04-2019, 09:15 AM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 616538
Once the front truss was welded, I started getting the steering ram mounted and made some quick end links. Getting the steering ram set in a position where I could use all four clamps, use all of the ram stroke, and close to the high steer arms took a few attempts. I initially thought I would use the middle hole on the arm, and even made double shear arms, until I realized the last hole would work better. I am planning on running RCV shafts, and there is no need to have the ram/knuckle assembly capable of 50 degrees of steering, when the axle shaft will not tolerate that. Once I reamed out the high steer holes to .75", I squared everything up and tacked it in position.

Finishing the ram mount, and fitting the skid plate kit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in