Yukon hate? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2019, 08:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 377602
Yukon hate?

I've been shopping around for gears for a set of super duty axles, d50/10.5, and reading quite a bit. I always thought Yukon was supposed to be good stuff, but in my recent reading I've read them called jewkon and a few other undesirable names. Am I missing something? I did notice that Yukon is $100+/- more than other brands. But just assumed maybe better Q.C. than other "lesser" brands. If Yukon is a rip-off, what would be a good brand gears and install kit to use? I've been thinking about the ronsmachineshop eBay elite gear package but at 750 bucks is the $100 savings worth it? I don't want junk but I don't want to spend a mint either. The axle regear is so far going to be the most expensive portion of my econolines build. Having the transmission freshened is only going to be about half the total of the axles.
dw89xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2019, 10:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 47337
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw89xj View Post
I've been shopping around for gears for a set of super duty axles, d50/10.5, and reading quite a bit. I always thought Yukon was supposed to be good stuff, but in my recent reading I've read them called jewkon and a few other undesirable names. Am I missing something? I did notice that Yukon is $100+/- more than other brands. But just assumed maybe better Q.C. than other "lesser" brands. If Yukon is a rip-off, what would be a good brand gears and install kit to use? I've been thinking about the ronsmachineshop eBay elite gear package but at 750 bucks is the $100 savings worth it? I don't want junk but I don't want to spend a mint either. The axle regear is so far going to be the most expensive portion of my econolines build. Having the transmission freshened is only going to be about half the total of the axles.
Yukon's prices have gotten pretty out of hand. I hate G2 gears, but its hard to argue with their "no questions asked" warranty and reasonable prices
Fl-Krawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2019, 10:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Their prices are not in line with what they're selling... Sorta. You can regularly get their stuff on sale or below MSRP, and then it's probably not a bad deal.

It does piss me off that I have a set of their 4340 shafts, and their hardcore hubs, and I had to grind the fuck out of the shafts so they would fit with the hubs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DirtyComanche is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 11:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 377602
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
Their prices are not in line with what they're selling... Sorta. You can regularly get their stuff on sale or below MSRP, and then it's probably not a bad deal.

It does piss me off that I have a set of their 4340 shafts, and their hardcore hubs, and I had to grind the fuck out of the shafts so they would fit with the hubs. <a href="https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/images/smilies/laughing.gif" border="0" alt="" title="laughing" >:-)</a>
I'd be pretty jacked myself. I had a suburban with the Yukon axle shafts maybe ten years ago or so. If they weren't given to me I'd have just bought some junkyard replacements, but they fit fine. Sounds like for the price the quality control or maybe just the whole manufacturing process has gone downhill.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 377602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl-Krawler View Post
Quote:
Yukon's prices have gotten pretty out of hand. I hate G2 gears, but its hard to argue with their "no questions asked" warranty and reasonable prices
Are gears like cam cores, I mean in that most of them are all made in a plant in Indonesia or somewhere then shipped out to the big name brand companies to be finished or boxed up? I'm trying to keep costs reasonable but don't want to waste money on junk or overpay for a big name and if I'm lucky, a sticker. Especially if I can get the exact same thing for less in a different box.

Last edited by dw89xj; 09-07-2019 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 377602
I also haven't heard any good or bad about the elite gears from Ron's on eBay, but the price is about in the middle from what I'm seeing. I wish these axles were as cheap to regear as the little Dana's in jeeps. But I guess you gotta pay to play.

Last edited by dw89xj; 09-07-2019 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
I'd be pretty jacked myself. I had a suburban with the Yukon axle shafts maybe ten years ago or so. If they weren't given to me I'd have just bought some junkyard replacements, but they fit fine. Sounds like for the price the quality control or maybe just the whole manufacturing process has gone downhill.
I think it's because they've grown a lot and don't really think about the consequences of their entire product line. They make the shafts long because that's probably better than too short, they make the hubs tight because that's what people want (low profile). There literally is an entire 100 page thread of people fucking around to make those hubs work correctly, and if Yukon had just included a few different sized spacers (they're literally a small piece of DOM tubing cut to the right length) it would have saved a ton of people a ton of time/trouble (that was not what my problem was, my shafts were literally too long and hit the dials, which jammed the dials, so you could not turn the hubs).

Another piss off was I bought a D44 Zip Locker. If I'd really hunted through the warnings and notes I'd have known it was drilled for the wrong sized ring gear bolts (I forget the specifics, but it was drilled for the larger bolts used in the Viper and certain "Super 44" kits, which you would probably never ever use a Zip with since car guys don't run air lockers, and the Super 44 kits came with a locker) but they did sell sleeves to use with 99.9% of applications that take the smaller bolts... But they don't just include them with the locker. So of course I go to throw the locker in the axle, realize the bolts are hotdogging a hallway, get annoyed and find out I need some sleeves at $5/each or some garbage. So I put everything on backburner for a month waiting for them to show up (that's me, not Yukon, I work a weird schedule), then go to throw it together and realize their sleeves, which are literally meant only for this stupid situation that they created, are actually not long enough to do anything really meaningful anyways. Yes, I know, it's a friction clamp, you don't need them, it just offends me to install a bolt in a hole that's way too fucking big.

Why didn't they drill the holes for 99.9% of applications, and put in the notes that if you're installing an air locker in your Dodge Viper that you might need to ream the holes?

The Zip Locker had other massive pissoffs because of the clear lack of effort on their end. The switch didn't have a pinout or diagram, nor a matching plug so you could install it cleanly, so you get to figure that out and decide what hack installation method offends you least, the bulkhead fitting for the airline is total jank (in their defense the ARB is as bad or worse), and the air switch came with an electrical connector on it which they didn't give you the matching half to. Way to put no fucking effort in, fuckfaces, I'll pay $20 more if you give me the small parts I need to actually install it cleanly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 377602
Fuckfaces indeed, I agree 100%. Yeah it sounds like things have really went South since the early 2000s. I have a couple buddies that swore by Yukon in their one tonned jeeps, I was always that guy in low range with my 3.08 10 bolts because I was cheap. Now I'm more into paying extra for something that will last and not give me a bunch of issues just to use it.

Air locker in a viper lmao that's hilarious.

Last edited by dw89xj; 09-07-2019 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
I always think of Yukon as affordable entry level stuff. I have bought or 1541 shafts for my 9 inch. I would never call them high end and I think their best product is probably their hubs.

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2019, 12:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 377602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
I always think of Yukon as affordable entry level stuff. I have bought or 1541 shafts for my 9 inch. I would never call them high end and I think their best product is probably their hubs.
I'm not going to be doing anything hard core with the Econoline, so entry level will probably be more than good enough, for hubs IL more than likely just buy Ford replacements unless I find a deal on some higher quality hubs. I've heard that the warn premiums aren't so premium anymore, at least for the price.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 4243
The few Yukon pieces I have (shafts & hubs) were so cheap, I got nothin to complain about.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 136471
Yukon's listed prices are always super high, but you can usually shop around and get it for quite a bit less. I've bought stuff from Wayne Hartwig on here at like 30%+ less than Yukon's listed prices.
boardbysled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2019, 02:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 79509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Have yet to run them... but have read the grizzly is suppose to be a better version of the Detroit. Full case locker goes, you only have two choices.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardbysled View Post
Yukon's listed prices are always super high, but you can usually shop around and get it for quite a bit less.
It was Amazon for me... 4340 shafts @ $55 each, or the locking hubs @ $64 each.

Yukon also makes a variety of small parts (seals, bearings, etc) available that can otherwise be difficult to source.

I think you gotta be a parts snob for the hate.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2slow View Post

Yukon also makes a variety of small parts (seals, bearings, etc) available that can otherwise be difficult to source.

That's a deal.

Hmm, I never thought of running their P/Ns through Amazon. I do it for other stuff.

There's a couple vendors on here that usually can hook a guy up pretty good with their stuff though.

Old 09-07-2019, 03:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
Have yet to run them... but have read the grizzly is suppose to be a better version of the Detroit. Full case locker goes, you only have two choices.
I think Yukon has done a good job with their lockers. It's just the supporting/package issue that I find frustrating. I have a 14 bolt Grizzly or whatever it is (lunchbox) and it works beautifully, never know it's there unless you drive like a dickbag on the street, and it has performed flawless offroad so far. The Zip locker I bought works great, but I did blow the air line the last time I was out (stupid nylon airbrake hose like all of them run, I need to take a day and redo it all in nickel-copper or steel at some point, regardless the failure was on me), and the rest of the shit about their choices for what's included and whatnot is just a pissoff. That said, it was less than half the price of an ARB and I think it is actually every bit as good, if not superior in some aspects, however there just isn't enough people using them yet to have statistical data to back that up.

Old 09-07-2019, 03:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Stock Rock Racer

Member # 195725
Yukon always treated us well and we didn't have issues with any of their products, other than SuperJoints... but that's another thread.

Definitely shop around for something below MSRP... maybe try Letzroll OffRoad?
Old 09-07-2019, 07:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 140878
What ratios are you going for?

SVL 10001310 Ring and Pinion https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018OGHYFK..._WsfDDbS0JSAAV

Last edited by TrailTamer XJ; 09-07-2019 at 07:09 PM.
TrailTamer XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2019, 07:16 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 377602
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailTamer XJ View Post
What ratios are you going for?

SVL 10001310 Ring and Pinion https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018OGHYFK..._WsfDDbS0JSAAV
I was going to go with 4.88 or 4.56, but for that price I might just change my front axle to 4.10 to match the rear and not go over 33s and keep running the semi float 60 and some adpters and spacers to keep the track even all around.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 140878
USA Standard Gear (ZG F10.25-456L) Ring & Pinion Gear Set for Ford 10.25 Differential https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0078U9SJE..._UAfDDbPCSBGES
TrailTamer XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2019, 07:52 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 377602
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailTamer XJ View Post
USA Standard Gear (ZG F10.25-456L) Ring & Pinion Gear Set for Ford 10.25 Differential https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0078U9SJE..._UAfDDbPCSBGES
I need to get better at this internet stuff, these are amazing deals. Even if one end is still full price that's a hella deal. I was quoted 300 for labor to have them setup by a pretty reputable local guy, if I drop off the axles with shafts pulled. So between 1000-1200 bucks if I buy a package on eBay.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:43 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 377602
SVL is Dana's aftermarket, it allowes Dana to compete with Yukon, Motive, Revolution and such.
The Dana SVL gears are all made in India by Punjab Bevel Gears
Coming form the Gear and Axle industry myself, I have never been much of a fan of Indian gears. That said the quality of the SVL gears that PBG is making for Dana, is pretty closely controlled by Dana's QA and have proven to be pretty good. The guy above that said the SVL 6.17 gears were half of the Yukon's, this is because Yukon doesn't make them, the are re-boxing OEM Dana, that's why the cost is so high. I spent 20 years in the gear industry, with Yukon/Randy's, Superior Axle & Revolution Gear, so I understand how and who makes gears for different manufactures. I'll try and give you some insight into each if the main "Brands" Most "Manufacturers" aren't manufacturers at all, most are "re-boxers" or buy directly from the factory that makes them, and just puts them in their box. You will find that VERY few of the popular brands own a single gear cutting machine. Some people & installers have a problem with this, but that's just the reality of the gear & axle industry and there is no way to avoid it if you are buying and/or installing any volume of gears. The reason for re-boxing is a good one... it's impossible for ANY manufacturer to make every ratio for every application so they back fill with gears from other "manufacturers". In this day and age of people expecting to be able to "One Stop Shop" this is kind of a must to keep customers coming back. OEM Dana: Many believe that Dana Gears are all made in the USA but the fact is, they are made allover the world. Dana makes very few gears in the US any more, most are made in South America but they also use Some China and a couple other countries. The quality is top notch and almost always will set up using the factory shim that you take out. SVL Dana: Made in India, but the quality is good, but often the surface finish looks less than perfect but they will still setup well and run trouble free for years. Yukon/Randy's Ring & Pinion Yukon is a huge mix of gears made in all corners of the world. Early on, the quality was very up and down because they had no in house quality control and just filled the box with what ever they could get their hands on. That has drastically changed over the years and they now spend a lot of time and money making sure, if it come in a Yukon box it's worth a shit! They now have a whole department that only does "QA" on every product as it comes in the door. USA Standard/ Randy's Ring & Pinion This is Randy's "Economy" brand and is made up of a wide verity of gears. Very often the gears in a USA Standard box are the very same as what is in the Yukon box of the same part. The reason for this is because when you are buying 15,000 gear sets a month, it's no cheaper to buy a crappy gear than it is buy a good one so why create the headache of buying the same gear from multiple sources. The reason this brand exists to offer an option to bottom feeder customers that only car about price rather than quality or warranty. Randy's also fills this brand to sell off gears that don't quite make the grade for the Yukon brand, so you can't always be sure that it will be the same as what's in the Yukon box. Revolution Gear Revolution is a very consistent brand because they ONLY use gears made in Korea and Korean gears have always been known in the aftermarket as being high quality with rare exception. Because Revolution only uses Korean gears they have holes in the application and ratio offering but manage to offer most of the popular applications. They offer a select group of "2 Cut" Gears are super nice and are guaranteed to be quiet. US Gear USG has notoriously made good gears, the only real drawback with them is lack of depth, back orders and high price. But if you want a good gear and you have doubts or concerns with other brands, or if you just like to buy made in the USA, USG is the way to go.... if you can get them. Motive Gear/Richmond Gear/Midwest Truck This is by far the most complex gear brands out there. Motive Does "Red Box" "Blue Box" "Black Box" under the Motive brand. I cant spek to where all their gears come from but I do know that they come from all over the world. "Red Box" Gears is their top quality/High Performance line, "Blue Box" Is their more general purpose line and the "Black Box" is economy line. I have used all three and have found all to setup well and run quiet, including the "Black Box". Like Yukon they have a strong QA department that makes them very consistent. Midwest Truck is the company that owns Motive and Richmond Gear. They bought Richmond back in late 2005 and killed the US made "Yellow Box" gears. They still offer the "Yellow Box" and the quality is still good, they just aren't made in the US anymore. I know they use a manufacturer out of Italy for a lot of them but I'm not sure where they are all coming from. In my experience it appears that the Yellow Box Richmond seem to be the same gears as the Red Box Motive but I have used enough to say that is an absolute. AAM (American Axle Manufacturing) Mostly the OEM supplier to GM and for Dodge 3/4 & 1 Ton truck axles, but also sell a lot into the aftermarket. Most AAM gears are made in India & South America but they do still have a very small number of gears made here in the US. Quality is always very good and price is reasonable on most of their stuff considering it's coming from an OEM supplier. They offer very little that fits the "Off Road" market. Nitro They are much like Yukon in the fact that they re-box a fair amount and buy from manufacturers in India, China and some Korea. They don't have the quality control that Yukon Or Motive but seem to have okay quality as far as I can tell. G2 Fills their boxes with gears made mostly in Korea, but is very shallow in their offering focusing on mostly Jeep and late Model 4X4s. The reality is that for 99.999% of the world the brand of the gear will make no difference and the failure rate is very similar across all the brands. 99% of gear failures and gears that have noise after setup are the fault of the mechanic. Most of the mechanics in the world have ZERO gear setup experience, just because you are good mechanic doesn't mean you should set up a gears. Hope this helps. sorry for any typos, I have to run, and don't have time to proof all this &#x1f609;

I copied this from another post by The Mac posted last year. Sounds like a crap shoot and who's setting up your gears.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:26 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Send a message via AIM to 92 Green YJ Send a message via Yahoo to 92 Green YJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4X4 View Post
Yukon always treated us well and we didn't have issues with any of their products, other than SuperJoints... but that's another thread.

Definitely shop around for something below MSRP... maybe try Letzroll OffRoad?
Uh oh. What were the Superjoint issues? I ask because I just put a set in the Chevy 60 going under my YJ.

As for me I’ve had good experiences with Yukon for years. Rand a set of their gears in my 8.8 and never had an issue. Put their chromo shafts in both the 60 and 70 going under it now as well as a set of their drive flanges. Quality looks good to me and I didn’t run into any issues during the install.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:08 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 377602
Thank you guys for the input. I think I'm gonna roll the dice on cheap gears and a decent rebuild kit. The labor rate doesn't change it's gonna be 3 beans for both axles either way. Unless I get some Ford drop ins and get lucky on the mesh
Old 09-08-2019, 03:30 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 4135
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2slow View Post

I bought a pair of chromo Yukon D60 stubs from Amazon about a year ago, about $85ish. No issues so far and I thought the price was decent.
The press is a gang of cruel faggots. Journalism is not a profession or a trade. It is a cheap catch-all for fuckoffs and misfits—a false doorway to the backside of life, a filthy piss-ridden little hole nailed off by the building inspector
wheelerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in