Goatbuilt Kids Buggy Chassis Build - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2019, 09:07 AM   #26 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!
 
MNorby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Member # 11448
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 5,164
Send a message via Yahoo to MNorby
Very cool concept and build. Thank you for sharing here.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MNorby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2019, 03:10 PM   #27 (permalink)
Wheeler
 
4xcrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member # 87361
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieboyd65 View Post
Awesome! Sub'd!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWilly4x4 View Post
Nice build! I have a mini willys jeep that I have been building for my son. Running a Honda 300 motor in mine. I started a thread on it a few years ago, but I haven't updated the thread. rig is pretty much ready to tear down and paint, other than finishing up the brake system, drive lines, and building a cage for it. Brakes and driveshaft adapters have been the big hold up on mine due to the odd LJ20 axles I am running on it.
Contact Brian at Driveline Tech, or pm me and I can give you his info, he can get your adapters and shafts easily, heís also building a mini buggy so knows all about this exact package

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSpot View Post
You are a cool dad!

Is that a pull start I see?
Thanks, yeah it has electric start and pull start backup, the pull start can be modified to run a pulley and mount a real psc belt driven steering pump too

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiS View Post
Great proportions and "full size" tech in a small package!

To help me wrap my mind around scaling, what are the dimensions of your chassis table there? 3x6'?
Thanks, yeah itís 3x6 I believe, Iím out of town now wheeling in Moab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blase View Post
super cool!!!
Thanks
4xcrawler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2019, 03:11 PM   #28 (permalink)
Wheeler
 
4xcrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member # 87361
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNorby View Post
Very cool concept and build. Thank you for sharing here.
Thanks!
4xcrawler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2019, 04:39 AM   #29 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
WildWilly4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Member # 17680
Location: Sunray,TX
Posts: 951
Here are a couple pics of my kids project. Nowhere near the caliber of fab going into yours, but should be fun all the same.
Attached Images
    
__________________
'50 m38, 60, 14bolt, 4.3, 420, dana 300, 35" krawlers on trailready's/ '80 Blazer 60,14 bolt, tpi 350, th400, 205, 35" swampers

Link to my M38 build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WildWilly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2019, 09:50 AM   #30 (permalink)
Wheeler
 
4xcrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member # 87361
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWilly4x4 View Post
Here are a couple pics of my kids project. Nowhere near the caliber of fab going into yours, but should be fun all the same.
Nice, anything to get our kids involved is an awesome project!
4xcrawler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2019, 10:29 AM   #31 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
atxrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Member # 136876
Location: Austin Tx
Posts: 612
Great work! I love Drew’s stuff. Would you be willing to cut some more axle link brackets and sell them?
atxrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2019, 10:51 PM   #32 (permalink)
Wheeler
 
4xcrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member # 87361
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Posts: 412
The #kidsbuggy finally got to stretch its legs for the first time to check clearances at full droop and flex. Everything is working out perfect without an inch to spare. Fox 2.0x12 air shocks. 1.5Ē Al lower links from @WideOpenDesign, 1.25x.120 DOM uppers. PSC 1.75x6 ram mounted. Now itís time to burn everything in and plate it all up.
Attached Images
   
4xcrawler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2019, 10:52 PM   #33 (permalink)
Wheeler
 
4xcrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member # 87361
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Posts: 412
...
Attached Images
   
4xcrawler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2019, 10:59 PM   #34 (permalink)
Wheeler
 
4xcrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member # 87361
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxrunner View Post
Great work! I love Drewís stuff. Would you be willing to cut some more axle link brackets and sell them?
Thanks. Once I finish the rear truss and make sure everything works itíll be easy to cut duplicate parts of any of the link/truss mounts if someone would like them for their build. I just donít want to cross any lines on here due to not being a vendor.
4xcrawler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 03:38 AM   #35 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
WildWilly4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Member # 17680
Location: Sunray,TX
Posts: 951
what are your plans for the power steering pump? I would assume electric over hydraulic? if so, I would make sure to beef up the stator, and maybe go to a much stouter regulator rectifier. The stock rectifier on my 450 foreman is barely adequate for stock four wheeler duties.
__________________
'50 m38, 60, 14bolt, 4.3, 420, dana 300, 35" krawlers on trailready's/ '80 Blazer 60,14 bolt, tpi 350, th400, 205, 35" swampers

Link to my M38 build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WildWilly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 05:27 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Member # 143737
Location: NH
Posts: 2,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWilly4x4 View Post
what are your plans for the power steering pump? I would assume electric over hydraulic? if so, I would make sure to beef up the stator, and maybe go to a much stouter regulator rectifier. The stock rectifier on my 450 foreman is barely adequate for stock four wheeler duties.
He mentioned the possibility of being able to remove the pull start and fab a belt drive PS pump. Maybe doing that for a GM 1 wire isn't a bad idea.

Then the kids can run all the LED pods and halos they want
__________________
POS Ranger on narrow 3/4 tons with a 357w noise maker
posford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 06:42 AM   #37 (permalink)
Wheeler
 
4xcrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member # 87361
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWilly4x4 View Post
what are your plans for the power steering pump? I would assume electric over hydraulic? if so, I would make sure to beef up the stator, and maybe go to a much stouter regulator rectifier. The stock rectifier on my 450 foreman is barely adequate for stock four wheeler duties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by posford View Post
He mentioned the possibility of being able to remove the pull start and fab a belt drive PS pump. Maybe doing that for a GM 1 wire isn't a bad idea.

Then the kids can run all the LED pods and halos they want
The plan to start is a Toyota MR2 electric power steering pump, thereís several guys running them with good results off the stock quad electric systems. Iíll also be running an Odyssey 925 battery which is massive for the little bit of power this thing needs and could just straight run the pump if needed then charge when weíre back at the house. If that plan doesnít work, then thereís the option to convert the pull start to a belt driven TC or P pump and/or a small Alternator.
4xcrawler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 12:22 PM   #38 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
atxrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Member # 136876
Location: Austin Tx
Posts: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xcrawler View Post
The plan to start is a Toyota MR2 electric power steering pump, there’s several guys running them with good results off the stock quad electric systems. I’ll also be running an Odyssey 925 battery which is massive for the little bit of power this thing needs and could just straight run the pump if needed then charge when we’re back at the house. If that plan doesn’t work, then there’s the option to convert the pull start to a belt driven TC or P pump and/or a small Alternator.
The Mr2 pump will be fine for slow crawling but a bit sluggish for high speed stuff. I have a buddy here in Texas that’s had good luck with crank driven pumps where the pull start was. His sons and Cody Wagner’s run crank driven. The only downside to crank driven is that it stalls the motor unless the kiddo learns not to turn in too hard at full lock. We have been working with PSC on this and if you call them when and if you ever decide to switch to a traditional pump they will have an idea what you need. We run a blue top optima with the MR2 pump and it will run all day but does need to be charged after a long day.

Last edited by atxrunner; 09-18-2019 at 12:23 PM.
atxrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 12:26 PM   #39 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
atxrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Member # 136876
Location: Austin Tx
Posts: 612
This the way I wired it and itís been problem free for three plus years now.
Attached Images
 
atxrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 12:26 PM   #40 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!
 
mobil1syn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Member # 9795
Location: riverside, ca
Posts: 16,248
Send a message via AIM to mobil1syn
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxrunner View Post
The Mr2 pump will be fine for slow crawling but a bit sluggish for high speed stuff. I have a buddy here in Texas that’s had good luck with crank driven pumps where the pull start was. His sons and Cody Wagner’s run crank driven. The only downside to crank driven is that it stalls the motor unless the kiddo learns not to turn in too hard at full lock. We have been working with PSC on this and if you call them when and if you ever decide to switch to a traditional pump they will have an idea what you need. We run a blue top optima with the MR2 pump and it will run all day but does need to be charged after a long day.
ryan did something different on codys buggy that i believe solved the stalling issue because he went to a different motor then he runs which allowed for a different sized pulley.
__________________
We are all born Arminians. It is grace that turns us into Calvinists
-George Whitefield
mobil1syn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 02:24 PM   #41 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
atxrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Member # 136876
Location: Austin Tx
Posts: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobil1syn View Post
ryan did something different on codys buggy that i believe solved the stalling issue because he went to a different motor then he runs which allowed for a different sized pulley.
Ryan is running an older rancher 350 motor and he used a new rancher 420 fuel injected motor in Codyís.
atxrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 07:05 PM   #42 (permalink)
Wheeler
 
4xcrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member # 87361
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxrunner View Post
The Mr2 pump will be fine for slow crawling but a bit sluggish for high speed stuff. I have a buddy here in Texas thatís had good luck with crank driven pumps where the pull start was. His sons and Cody Wagnerís run crank driven. The only downside to crank driven is that it stalls the motor unless the kiddo learns not to turn in too hard at full lock. We have been working with PSC on this and if you call them when and if you ever decide to switch to a traditional pump they will have an idea what you need. We run a blue top optima with the MR2 pump and it will run all day but does need to be charged after a long day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxrunner View Post
This the way I wired it and itís been problem free for three plus years now.
Awesome, thank you for the info! I hadnít got far enough along to even look into wiring yet. I think the pump will be good to start, my 4yo doesnít need to go fast yet, lol. My 10yo drives my buggy so that way theyíll both be able to drive now. I think she would definitely out run the steering trying to haul in it lol
4xcrawler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2019, 07:33 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Member # 675081
Posts: 17
Manual steering

Very cool build. I like your designs for the a kids kit and I think you will do good with a kids kit.
I 'm going to build one for my grand kids next year and will use your kit. For my steering I don't want the ram, pump and lines. I've been working on a Rack on axle design with in shaft electric power steering if your interested PM me for more details.

Keep up the great work!

OCB
Angle X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2019, 09:58 AM   #44 (permalink)
Wheeler
 
4xcrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member # 87361
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angle X View Post
Very cool build. I like your designs for the a kids kit and I think you will do good with a kids kit.
I 'm going to build one for my grand kids next year and will use your kit. For my steering I don't want the ram, pump and lines. I've been working on a Rack on axle design with in shaft electric power steering if your interested PM me for more details.

Keep up the great work!

OCB
Thanks. The chassis is based off of Jesse Haines design for the full size 2 seat chassis kit produced by Goatbuilt. I just took it and changed it all and scaled it down to work as a mini buggy and fit the parts list I wanted. The chassis should be in production soon from Goatbuilt so contact them when you're ready.

The in shaft electric power steering systems work ok for a RZR and going fast, but they don't have near enough power to turn big tires on a solid axle in the rocks, especially with water in the front tires. There's several people running them on smaller kids buggies though with smaller 30" tires and Sami axles and they work ok. I run 36" tires on my RZR Turbo S4 which has 25% more steering power than most electric shaft systems and that thing doesn't turn at all going slow in the rocks, and that's with an adult yanking on the steering wheel, a little kid would have they're arms ripped off when they bumped into a rock. Which bring up another point on the full hydro system, run a non-load reactive orbital that way when they do run into stuff the steering wheel isn't yanked around as much and possibly hurting them.
4xcrawler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2019, 02:19 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Member # 14644
Location: Magnolia, Texas
Posts: 2,781
I'm curious about the in shaft electric power steering as well. There are some 400 watt kits that seem stout with out the hydraulic complexity.
Here's a 700 watt kit as well.

https://www.proutvparts.com/products...22ecf6be&_ss=r

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xcrawler View Post
Thanks. The chassis is based off of Jesse Haines design for the full size 2 seat chassis kit produced by Goatbuilt. I just took it and changed it all and scaled it down to work as a mini buggy and fit the parts list I wanted. The chassis should be in production soon from Goatbuilt so contact them when you're ready.

The in shaft electric power steering systems work ok for a RZR and going fast, but they don't have near enough power to turn big tires on a solid axle in the rocks, especially with water in the front tires. There's several people running them on smaller kids buggies though with smaller 30" tires and Sami axles and they work ok. I run 36" tires on my RZR Turbo S4 which has 25% more steering power than most electric shaft systems and that thing doesn't turn at all going slow in the rocks, and that's with an adult yanking on the steering wheel, a little kid would have they're arms ripped off when they bumped into a rock. Which bring up another point on the full hydro system, run a non-load reactive orbital that way when they do run into stuff the steering wheel isn't yanked around as much and possibly hurting them.
__________________
1986.5 Nissan crawler - dual cases, one tons, 42's

Last edited by bignissan; 09-20-2019 at 08:11 AM.
bignissan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2019, 05:23 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Member # 14644
Location: Magnolia, Texas
Posts: 2,781
If I'm thinking of this correctly, the 700 watt kit should put out around 100 ft lbs compared to the 400 watt kit at 60 ft lbs. If you use a manual steering box with a standard 20:1 ratio, that's 2000 ft lbs out put. Seems pretty good!
__________________
1986.5 Nissan crawler - dual cases, one tons, 42's
bignissan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2019, 07:44 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Member # 873218
Posts: 9
Absolutely! I have twin 4 yrs old and I want to get started on a project like this soon
steve.pro.mb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2019, 10:46 AM   #48 (permalink)
Wheeler
 
4xcrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member # 87361
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignissan View Post
I'm curious about the in shaft electric power steering as well. There are some 400 watt kits that seem stout with out the hydraulic complexity.
Here's a 700 watt kit as well.

https://www.proutvparts.com/products...22ecf6be&_ss=r
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignissan View Post
If I'm thinking of this correctly, the 700 watt kit should put out around 100 ft lbs compared to the 400 watt kit at 60 ft lbs. If you use a manual steering box with a standard 20:1 ratio, that's 2000 ft lbs out put. Seems pretty good!
Yes, itís definitely a option depending on how youíre wanting to build and your budget, thereís several people that use them with good results. Just like any other rock crawler, you can go power steering, hydro assist, or full hydro, just depends on what you want. Another thing to note though, if using a steering box youíd need to run a 3-link and panhard obviously and not a 4 link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.pro.mb View Post
Absolutely! I have twin 4 yrs old and I want to get started on a project like this soon
Do it!
4xcrawler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2019, 10:50 AM   #49 (permalink)
Wheeler
 
4xcrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member # 87361
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Posts: 412
The rear truss for the #kidsbuggy from mock up to completion. First cut out of 16ga to check fit, then cut out of .120 100XT, jigged and squared on the bench to set tab locations, then like legos keep adding pieces after the inside welds are done. To help from tabs warping too much and making your spacing for your joint to tight, I first weld all the outside edges. This pulls the tabs apart and gives you a little extra room with the mock up heim finger tight. Then when switching to welding the inside joints I put a little bolt spacer in there to give about 1/16 extra play in the joint (or you can use a really thin washer). Then after all the inside joints are weldwe the tabs have enough tension from welding that they pull back to straight once the spacer is removed and your joint easily slides in and out again with perfect spacing.
Attached Images
    
4xcrawler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2019, 10:51 AM   #50 (permalink)
Wheeler
 
4xcrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member # 87361
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Posts: 412
...
Attached Images
     
4xcrawler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.