Goatbuilt Kids Buggy Chassis Build - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2020, 12:33 AM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 31211
Hell yeah! That adjustable steering wheel/controls unit is tits! Hope you have all the CAD files saved. LOL
charlieboyd65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2020, 01:32 AM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 95025
Awesome build indeed!

President Trump on building the wall:
"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
CDA 455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2020, 05:41 AM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 232666
Nice job so far man!

Old 02-10-2020, 06:38 AM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 147348
Hell yeah
CarterKaft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2020, 07:34 AM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 103621
very nice.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:47 AM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 9026
Send a message via AIM to desertCJ
I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering if they would fit in it so they could take it for a spin...lol.
desertCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2020, 10:54 AM   #82 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 138976
awesome

what are you planning on running for the rear brakes?

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2020, 07:40 PM   #83 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 87361
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieboyd65 View Post
Hell yeah! That adjustable steering wheel/controls unit is tits! Hope you have all the CAD files saved. LOL
Thanks it's pretty slick, have quite a few people putting them on their buggy's so their kids can drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingfire View Post
Nice job so far man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterKaft View Post
Hell yeah
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_white_shadow View Post
very nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDA 455 View Post
Awesome build indeed!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertCJ View Post
I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering if they would fit in it so they could take it for a spin...lol.
Lol, I'm 5'10" and my head sticks over the top of the cage tubes a good inch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
awesome

what are you planning on running for the rear brakes?
Thanks, running the Trail Gear budget disc brake kit
4xcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2020, 08:36 PM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 31211
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xcrawler View Post
Thanks it's pretty slick, have quite a few people putting them on their buggy's so their kids can drive.
Is that some thing you sell?
Old 02-11-2020, 10:34 PM   #85 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 87361
Quote:
Is that some thing you sell?
I'm not a vendor on here so I can't discuss anything, but yes
Old 02-12-2020, 07:09 PM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 31211
Thumbs up

Quote:
I'm not a vendor on here so I can't discuss anything, but yes
Wurd
Old 02-12-2020, 09:49 PM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 31211
Couple quick questions. How much cheaper do you think it is to build a kids buggy such as this compared to a full size buggy. I know there are some cheaper things in the parts list, but ultimately, it's most of the same parts list just scaled down/detuned. Drivetrain seems like the biggest savings.

Also, what do you think about using a pair of Waggy Dana 44s rather Toyota axles? I know the Toyota axles are lighter and arguably stronger, but I have a set of offset passenger drop Dana 44s sitting around. Should match up with a Zuk tcase.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:28 PM   #88 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 87361
Quote:
Couple quick questions. How much cheaper do you think it is to build a kids buggy such as this compared to a full size buggy. I know there are some cheaper things in the parts list, but ultimately, it's most of the same parts list just scaled down/detuned. Drivetrain seems like the biggest savings.

Also, what do you think about using a pair of Waggy Dana 44s rather Toyota axles? I know the Toyota axles are lighter and arguably stronger, but I have a set of offset passenger drop Dana 44s sitting around. Should match up with a Zuk tcase.
When it comes down to it, cost is almost exactly the same as building a full size buggy, there's not much at all that's cheaper. Even the drive train is expensive when you have to buy a complete 4wheeler for the motor/trans, no different than buying junkyard LS and TH350. You save money on a sami case vs an altas, but you could also run a 205 or 300 in a fullsize buggy which is cheaper than a sami. Axles I literally have more money in than building up 60's as Toyota's are a fortune when you upgrade every single thing. Chassis and suspension isn't any different cost wise cause being only a few inches smaller. I'll have between$25-$30k in this thing by the time I'm done. You can easily build a decent fullsize buggy for $30k or buy a heck of a lot nicer used fullsize buggy for $30k. Granted I didn't really spare any expenses on this car and it could definitely be built for $5-10K cheaper with less fancy parts and finding good deals on used stuff vs buying new.

D44 are a good option if you have them, I just don't prefer how heavy they are for the performance I'm looking to get out of this car. They'll still probably be plenty strong enough though regardless.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:43 PM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 31211
Quote:
When it comes down to it, cost is almost exactly the same as building a full size buggy, there's not much at all that's cheaper. Even the drive train is expensive when you have to buy a complete 4wheeler for the motor/trans, no different than buying junkyard LS and TH350. You save money on a sami case vs an altas, but you could also run a 205 or 300 in a fullsize buggy which is cheaper than a sami. Axles I literally have more money in than building up 60's as Toyota's are a fortune when you upgrade every single thing. Chassis and suspension isn't any different cost wise cause being only a few inches smaller. I'll have between$25-$30k in this thing by the time I'm done. You can easily build a decent fullsize buggy for $30k or buy a heck of a lot nicer used fullsize buggy for $30k. Granted I didn't really spare any expenses on this car and it could definitely be built for $5-10K cheaper with less fancy parts and finding good deals on used stuff vs buying new.

D44 are a good option if you have them, I just don't prefer how heavy they are for the performance I'm looking to get out of this car. They'll still probably be plenty strong enough though regardless.
Thanks, that's pretty much what I figured. If I ever do this, I'll probably be pretty cheap and weld the spiders on the D44s, and possibly either do double wishbones for links or possibly one links with panhards. Save some coin on rod ends. We'll see if it ever comes to fruition. Time is always tight these days.

What are doing for gearing in the tcase and axles?

Hijack over. Can't wait to see some of video of this thing!

Last edited by charlieboyd65; 02-13-2020 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:45 AM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 31211
Maybe I missed it, but what size is the tube for the chassis?
Old 02-19-2020, 10:02 AM   #91 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 87361
Quote:
Thanks, that's pretty much what I figured. If I ever do this, I'll probably be pretty cheap and weld the spiders on the D44s, and possibly either do double wishbones for links or possibly one links with panhards. Save some coin on rod ends. We'll see if it ever comes to fruition. Time is always tight these days.

What are doing for gearing in the tcase and axles?

Hijack over. Can't wait to see some of video of this thing!
5.29s in the axles, stock tcase gears for now, by match it should be at 3mph at 3000rpm in first gear in low range

Quote:
Maybe I missed it, but what size is the tube for the chassis?
1.5x.095 main cage, 1.5x.120 frame rails and sub frame, lots of 1.25 for everything else and 1 for the interior bars
Old 02-19-2020, 03:56 PM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 31211
Quote:
5.29s in the axles, stock tcase gears for now, by match it should be at 3mph at 3000rpm in first gear in low range

1.5x.095 main cage, 1.5x.120 frame rails and sub frame, lots of 1.25 for everything else and 1 for the interior bars
Awesome, thanks. I'm curious to see how you like the gearing at the tcase, all other things being equal.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:08 PM   #93 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 87361
Quote:
Awesome, thanks. I'm curious to see how you like the gearing at the tcase, all other things being equal.
Yeah I'm interested how it's going to work out, I was going to put a lower gearset in it but after doing the math it would have been too slow due to extra low first gear in my trans. If it works then I saved myself the $600 on a gearset, if not then I'll swap in something at that point.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:23 PM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 31211
Quote:
Yeah I'm interested how it's going to work out, I was going to put a lower gearset in it but after doing the math it would have been too slow due to extra low first gear in my trans. If it works then I saved myself the $600 on a gearset, if not then I'll swap in something at that point.
Right on. Yeah, I think my stock gears in the D44s are 3.73, so I'm weighing the options of just throwing a deep gearset in the tcase and not messing with the axles. Plus, I'll probably just weld the spider gears. So, while probably a little cheaper to regear the diffs, probably easier to just open the tcase and throw gears in. I'm still collecting parts slowly, so I have time to figure it out. I noticed Atxrunner went with 5.29 in the axles and also threw gears in the tcase. Wondering if his son has to wheel in a higher gear in the trans.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:32 PM   #95 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 87361
Quote:
Right on. Yeah, I think my stock gears in the D44s are 3.73, so I'm weighing the options of just throwing a deep gearset in the tcase and not messing with the axles. Plus, I'll probably just weld the spider gears. So, while probably a little cheaper to regear the diffs, probably easier to just open the tcase and throw gears in. I'm still collecting parts slowly, so I have time to figure it out. I noticed Atxrunner went with 5.29 in the axles and also threw gears in the tcase. Wondering if his son has to wheel in a higher gear in the trans.
I believe he was running a TRX250 or 300 motor/trans combo which doesn't have a very low first gear, hence the need for the lower gears in the tcase. The TRX400 in the Foreman 400 that I'm using has a much lower first gear. So it really depends on what your donor is.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:55 PM   #96 (permalink)

Member # 31211
Quote:
I believe he was running a TRX250 or 300 motor/trans combo which doesn't have a very low first gear, hence the need for the lower gears in the tcase. The TRX400 in the Foreman 400 that I'm using has a much lower first gear. So it really depends on what your donor is.
That definitely makes sense.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in