Pirate 4x4 banner

Aluminum winch ring snatch blocks.

14K views 105 replies 39 participants last post by  DiscoDino 
#1 · (Edited)
I keep seeing these on social media, and I was wondering if anybody had real world experience with them. I know @meiser likes them, And it looks like custom splice is coming out with a few different sizes. They are supposed to be used with soft shackles. I’m thinking of swapping my steel snatch blocks out for them because I almost never use them and they are just heavy. Usually if I use a snatch block it’s because I was doing some stupid at the house. Never used one on the trail.

There are some pictures I stole from the custom splice Facebook page so you know what I’m talking about.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I wouldn't use that anywhere that it was muddy, dusty, or gritty. (INB4 "So yer mum's cunt is oot" :flipoff2:)

I'd be a lot more happy about using them in real world conditions if they had a PTFE bearing that could rotate in the aluminum, rather than on the shackle.

But that's me, haven't used them.

#3 ·
I like Meiser and his products. I thought about grabbing one but I use a TRE snatch block that's blingin' since they're friends of mine and I like their design and bearing style. I also use them at the house more than on the trail BUT the one time I needed it I was about to slide off a shitty snowed and iced over switchback. My ass end had drifted off and I was about 12 inches away from a full slide. I hooked up the snatch block and corrected the Jeep's position pretty quick.

If you don't have a snatch block I'd definitely grab one. For low use I think it's a perfect solution.

TRE version: https://tacticalrecoveryequipment.com/product/snatch-block-aluminum/

#4 · (Edited)
They are not new. They have used these in sailing circles forever. And hard to think a of environment harsher the salt water anything.

I don't see a reason to have a bearing personally.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/anta...spliced-dyneema-loops--P014018261?recordNum=6
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/ronstan--low-friction-rings--P015483126?recordNum=8
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/antal--low-friction-rings--P014018253?recordNum=10

Tree Arborist use them as well.
https://www.sherrilltree.com/tree-rigging/rigging-accessories/notch-rigging-thimble-3

#5 ·
I realize that these are not new to the world, but I feel like it’s a recent development that people are using them off-road.

I have a couple of warn snatch blocks, but they are just heavy. And since my new to me winch has rope instead of cable I think this may be a way to go. My number one concern is obviously I would not be hooking this up, so whoever was helping me extract myself would have to be able to figure out how to set it up.

#8 ·
I realize that these are not new to the world, but I feel like it’s a recent development that people are using them off-road.

I have a couple of warn snatch blocks, but they are just heavy. And since my new to me winch has rope instead of cable I think this may be a way to go.
x2 first ive seen it or read about it here and i agree, if i was buying a snatch block id go for this one

ive used my traditional SB numerous times on the trail for numerous different things, including moving boulders back onto the trail and partially flopping my rig on its side to get both axles from being wedged

jeepcomanchee is a closet **** princess sissy bitch :flipoff2:

#7 ·
#9 ·
I don't like it. Seems like it would be ok for a short or light pull, but anything pushing the limits is going to generate a lot of heat, which is the one thing you don't want with synthetic rope.

Wire rope and heavy assed snatch blocks FTW! :flipoff2:

#11 ·
what keeps it from falling off every time it loses tension :confused:

seems like a pain for 1 person to operate :shrug: might not be their intended use

#14 ·
The first one has the opposite of the intended effect which is not wearing the winch line and it is running over a smaller radius which if given a choice, should always be larger. The rope loop is also being highly stressed at the cinch point.

The second one only has one drawback if they are the same cost as the last time I looked at them and that is they aren't exactly cheap.

#16 ·
That vid by Custom Splice is just a test. I would like to see a before and after on the synthetic rope and aluminum device after a pull with tension approaching twice the winches stated rating and approaching the ropes capacity. I would also like to see temperatures at that device during the pull. If saving weight I would be much more about the conventional snatch block made of Aluminum

#21 ·
Watching the video it seemed like a hitch adapter with a larger hole for a thimble to pass through and smooth edges could be used for the same purpose as well as what it was orrigonally designed to do. I dont see it replacing a snatch block but I would buy that version over the one in the video.

#22 ·
I picked up one last year and have only used it a couple of times. First time was a very hard pull that the JKU doing the winching had to put his front tires up against a berm in order to stop sliding. No noticeable wear on the ring, soft shackle or synthetic rope, so far I’m sold on them.
I have no idea on how they will perform in nasty mud though.

The one I have weighs in at a hefty 10-7/8 ozs.

#46 ·
It seems like you guys are worried about the bearing surface wearing out. I think that would take a long time. But the issue is the line staying in the groove. In a block, the pulley has two sides that capture the line and still some times it try's to get off the pulley and in between the pulley and block. How you figure the line is going to stay in that thing? Have you not heard "if it can go wrong, it will at the worse time"?

#47 ·
It seems like you guys are worried about the bearing surface wearing out. I think that would take a long time.

Not worried about that hunk of aluminum wearing out, I'm worried about the soft shackle or rope wearing. If the ring spins on the soft shackle while winching, its wearing out the soft shackle, period. If the ring doesn't spin on the soft shackle due to high loading, your rope is wearing out. Get it now?

#56 ·
wnna go way overkill? make a sun and 4 planet set so that you increase your diameters and can keep them from slipping

#58 ·
Has anyone who is saying that these won't work actually used one?

I don't see that much heat being generated in a normal winching situation. Usually you only need a few feet to get out of what you're in. Personally, I'd like a larger diameter, just cause. Uhmw would also work well.

#60 ·
Has anyone who is saying that these won't work actually used one?
just a bunch of web wheelers bitching and moaning, i bet half of them are still running cable but they just feel the need to complain about something they couldnt even use if they wanted to :laughing:

:flipoff2:

imo your average winch is moving slow enough for heat to not be a problem, as youre using it the rope is moving along bringing cooler rope over the aluminum to absorb the heat

osha says keep it below 194 degrees
https://www.osha.gov/dsg/guidance/slings/nat-synth-fiber.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.