Holley sniper idle - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2019, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 220897
Holley sniper idle

I have the Holley Sniper on a SBC crawler, I just got the progressive linkage and secondary injectors adjusted to 40% throttle. My question is what idle RPM is your motor happy at? I am trying to set it at 650 RPM on the handheld and idle screw, but the motor seams happier around 750 RPM which is ok but I would like it a little lower. What is your RPM set at ?
Old 10-05-2019, 11:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
mines at 700 on a SBF. There is a good forum on holleys site if you havent seen it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
plug ugly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2019, 12:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
perfection in plasma

Member # 25823
Send a message via ICQ to carslut
how big a cam do you have? i notice bigger cams with a bit of overlap or low vacuum profile like to idle a touch above average.

carslut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 01:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 220897
Quote:
Originally Posted by carslut View Post
how big a cam do you have? i notice bigger cams with a bit of overlap or low vacuum profile like to idle a touch above average.
Ground for low end torque, idle -4000 I think
I have idle set at 700 RPM now, I need to drive it now to see how it like it. self learning
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2019, 05:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
ZAG

Member # 14113
adding more timing and playing with afr will help and smoothing basemap so it doesn have holes or spikes in your running area
ZAG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2019, 01:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 160801
My 383 stroker idles with perfection at 700rpms with my Holley Sniper. I built the engine and cammed it for low-end torque (rock crawling), so it pulls good vacuum and finding a good idle was very easy. I have built engines for street rods with radical cams that were a challenge to get to idle properly.
desert dogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2019, 05:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 102395
I'm curious,

Who's automatic and who's manual?

It will have something to do with idle.

I'm running an SM465 and mine tends to idle a bit more than I'd like even with the progressive linkage.

I don't have an exact number...I'll go home and let it warm up a bit and see what it comes down to.

Honestly I really don't care for it and already have an LQ4 that's going in with factory injection and ignition.

I spared no cost when I bought it and put it in, Bought the Sniper Kit the ignition as well as the off road MSD. Then turned around and bought multiple throttle linkage systems and the progressive kit just to get it to respond correctly.

My biggest issue with it is that I know I wont be able to run to Orielly's in say Pollak Pines to get parts if something shits the bed.

If you were twice as smart you would still be stupid!

But, as with most evil people, they live unnaturally long lives.

Dr Danger
lil,yota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2019, 07:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 220897
desert dogg I found your youtube video thanks it helped.

Well I got the progressive linkage and new SD card installed. It idles and runs much better. I found my idle problem, my hand throttle had a little tension on it, a quick adjustment and idle dropped right down, I set it at 700 RPM. So......I loaded it up and I'm headed to the Rubicon for a day run to try it out in the morning, ya I'm stoked. I have most of the bugs worked out on this new build.
327 built for low end torque SM465 Dana 300-4:1
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2019, 05:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
ZAG

Member # 14113
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil,yota View Post
I'm curious,

Who's automatic and who's manual?

It will have something to do with idle.

I'm running an SM465 and mine tends to idle a bit more than I'd like even with the progressive linkage.

I don't have an exact number...I'll go home and let it warm up a bit and see what it comes down to.

Honestly I really don't care for it and already have an LQ4 that's going in with factory injection and ignition.

I spared no cost when I bought it and put it in, Bought the Sniper Kit the ignition as well as the off road MSD. Then turned around and bought multiple throttle linkage systems and the progressive kit just to get it to respond correctly.

My biggest issue with it is that I know I wont be able to run to Orielly's in say Pollak Pines to get parts if something shits the bed.
progressive linkage has nothing to do with sniper idle. you set your idle speed in the program and then adjust your blades to get iac near 0 when idling warm and do tps autoset every time you adjust your blades
ZAG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in