Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum (/forum/)
-   General 4x4 Discussion (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/16-general-4x4-discussion/)
-   -   SD High Steer options - Weld on or machine? (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/2690154-sd-high-steer-options-weld-machine.html)

Prizefighter 10-12-2019 10:14 AM

SD High Steer options - Weld on or machine?

Looking for real world feed back on the two options for SD Dana 60 knuckle high steer options. There are several companies offering weld on brackets to convert the knuckles to high steer. Welding to cast can be an issue with breaking so wanting to know if anyone has had experience with this happening or not happening.

The other option is to machine them to bolt on high steer arms. This is certainly a great way to go but more costly. I would ship them off and have this service done for me.

CherokeeTerrorist 10-12-2019 11:05 AM

This thread covers every angle of steering for SD axles, https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...a-60-axle.html

It comes down to, do you have some fab skills or can you write a check. Which can you do?

rockyota83 10-12-2019 12:54 PM

the only time i would go with a welded high steer arm on a cast knuckle is if it was a crawler that never saw the street or more than 25mph on the trail, other wise im going with machined

sterlingfire 10-12-2019 08:08 PM

When i build mine it's getting machined for bolt on high steer. You should have a local machine shop that can handle it instead of sending out, but also sending it to a vendor here with experience in this service could save you in thr long run... damn it, now I've created a non existent situation in mine own head... send it out or local???

CherokeeTerrorist 10-13-2019 12:04 AM

This isnt a bad deal; https://www.fourwheelsupply.net/coll...ining-services

Technohead 10-13-2019 10:55 AM

Fordtechguru on here. Runs Weaver Fab out of Redding, CA. Only way to go!

rockyota83 10-13-2019 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technohead (Post 44642496)
Fordtechguru on here. Runs Weaver Fab out of Redding, CA. Only way to go!

x2 if you want it done right weaver fab is the place to go

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/axle...teer-kits.html

Gozuki 10-13-2019 06:13 PM

Whose hi steer arms are keyed? Looks like the Weaver fab ones aren't?

beaureed445 10-14-2019 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherokeeTerrorist (Post 44642114)

I run a '95 BJ60, and fourwheelsupply.net machined my knuckles. I have ZERO complaints about the job they did. They've held up well for the past 4 years, running 39" Reds, 40" Treps, and now 42" Reds. I wouldn't hesitate to use their services again.

Gozuki 10-14-2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaureed445 (Post 44643684)
I run a '95 BJ60, and fourwheelsupply.net machined my knuckles. I have ZERO complaints about the job they did. They've held up well for the past 4 years, running 39" Reds, 40" Treps, and now 42" Reds. I wouldn't hesitate to use their services again.

Are the 4ws arms keyed?

DirtyComanche 10-14-2019 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyota83 (Post 44641458)
the only time i would go with a welded high steer arm on a cast knuckle is if it was a crawler that never saw the street or more than 25mph on the trail, other wise im going with machined

Explain why.

Technohead 10-14-2019 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyComanche (Post 44644380)
Explain why.

The short answer is that welding dissimilar metals creates a stress concentration. Stress concentration is destroys the fatigue life. Welding dissimilar metals is about the dumbest thing you can do when life and limb is on the line.

rockyota83 10-14-2019 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyComanche (Post 44644380)
Explain why.

personal preference, i like feeling comfortable when bashing through the trail way faster than i should be.

ive seen multiple pictures of broken off welded arms on 05+ knuckles

sure it can be done successfully without failing but its just not for me

edit; i forgot to tell you that you sound like a demanding little faggot

DirtyComanche 10-15-2019 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technohead (Post 44644400)
The short answer is that welding dissimilar metals creates a stress concentration. Stress concentration is destroys the fatigue life. Welding dissimilar metals is about the dumbest thing you can do when life and limb is on the line.

And there's no stress concentration with studs?

g23crawler 10-15-2019 07:34 AM

After some research I have decided to get mine machined but cant decide between weaver or FWS. Im leaning more towards FWS, alittle cheaper, the arm is keyed to the knuckle and its located above the stock TRE so you can run a tie in kit. All which weaver doesn't do unless im missing something?

ChiScouter 10-15-2019 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g23crawler (Post 44645136)
After some research I have decided to get mine machined but cant decide between weaver or FWS. Im leaning more towards FWS, alittle cheaper, the arm is keyed to the knuckle and its located above the stock TRE so you can run a tie in kit. All which weaver doesn't do unless im missing something?

Fordtechguru weaver is a long time member here who has contributed much to this forum. That should factor in more than saving a couple of dollars.

beaureed445 10-15-2019 08:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gozuki (Post 44644300)
Are the 4ws arms keyed?

Yes. The high-steer arm is keyed into the caliper mount.

Technohead 10-15-2019 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyComanche (Post 44645108)
And there's no stress concentration with studs?

Yes but when bolted joint is properly torqued there is a pre-stress in the base material. External loading must overcome this pre-stress before the base material actually "feels" the external load = longer fatigue life.

Technohead 10-15-2019 09:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by g23crawler (Post 44645136)

I'd be surprised if the FWS kit is directly above (and parallel) to the stock TRE. I'm running 99-04 SD knuckles w/ Weaver arms on my buggy and the stock TRE end is angled. Presumably the 05+ knuckles are similarly angled?

I had a buddy who operates local shop machine some parallel spot faces on the Weaver arm and stock TRE so that I could run double shear.

jsawduste 10-15-2019 09:40 AM

And if you like good steering geometry you'll not use the Ford parts at all.

Ried C`s and knuckles set for 7-8* caster after you`ve set the pinion angle. TR to the cast in arms for Ackerman.

An even better way would be to toss the Ford center and buy an aftermarket center. That way your making the axle fit YOUR rig not the other way around.

Not a fan of the Ford at all...............Yes, its buy in is cheap but the ROI sucks.

rockyota83 10-15-2019 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsawduste (Post 44645300)

Ried C`s and knuckles set for 7-8* caster after you`ve set the pinion angle. TR to the cast in arms for Ackerman.

An even better way would be to toss the Ford center and buy an aftermarket center. That way your making the axle fit YOUR rig not the other way around.

Not a fan of the Ford at all...............Yes, its buy in is cheap but the ROI sucks.

seriously? :laughing: :homer: wtf are you bringing up a fully custom axle when guys are asking about what high steer to run on a junkyard axle

reid knuckes and c's are going to cost almost 2k by themselves :laughing:

CherokeeTerrorist 10-15-2019 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsawduste (Post 44645300)

You are waaaaay off topic, not to mention Dana Spicer makes the axle. Typical chevy nut swingers :laughing:

snowracer 10-15-2019 04:18 PM

machined is only way to go. buddy has had 2 weld on's fail. first one i welded and just preheated and mig welded and cooled. second one was preheated and welded with nickle rod by ticketed welder and cooled. both only had few runs on them and failed. hes running machined and keyed now and no issues

CherokeeTerrorist 10-15-2019 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowracer (Post 44645818)
machined is only way to go. buddy has had 2 weld on's fail. first one i welded and just preheated and mig welded and cooled. second one was preheated and welded with nickle rod by ticketed welder and cooled. both only had few runs on them and failed. hes running machined and keyed now and no issues

Who's keyed arms?

snowracer 10-15-2019 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherokeeTerrorist (Post 44645842)
Who's keyed arms?

TMR Customs 99-04 knuckles