Factory IFS - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2020, 08:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 184378
Factory IFS

Out of curiosity if you could have any factory 4x4 ifs system on the market today what would you go with.
Aftermarket availability like long travel and all that other stuff is a plus

Something that could handle v8 power and 37"-42" tires

07+ gm 1500
07+ tundra
Ford TTB 44
Old 01-23-2020, 08:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
blatant asshole

Member # 464641
Gm with out the disconnect. I wish it was that way on more models

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
total newb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2020, 08:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 25632
I'm not too familiar with the Tundra (hp 9"?)

The 05+ Tacoma stuff is pretty decent though. If I'm not mistaken the rcvs use either the 60 bell or a tiny bit smaller. So I'd imagine the Tundra would be even beefier

Isn't the gm diff aluminum?
YotaAtieToo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 08:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 184378
Quote:
Originally Posted by total newb View Post
Gm with out the disconnect. I wish it was that way on more models
Do you know what years those are in? I'm assuming that's still the 9.25 or we talking the 9.5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post

The 05+ Tacoma stuff is pretty decent though. If I'm not mistaken the rcvs use either the 60 bell or a tiny bit smaller. So I'd imagine the Tundra would be even beefier

I think I remember reading something posted on the marlin board about it being 60 bells. And from reading I get mixed answer on steel or aluminum. Most say aluminum.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
blatant asshole

Member # 464641
Really they arent even in the 1500. Just the zooty suvs with awd.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
total newb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2020, 04:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
They all suck stock but the TTB will require the most abuse to break things in stock form and is the cheapest/easiest to build up but it will never be a great street suspension.

None of those options you gave will live long between a v8 and 37" tires unless you're talking stock 70s small-block that makes 250ft*lb and no appreciable horsepower.

This is a stupid question, SD60s have been around for 15yr at this point. Swap one of those in.

Last edited by arse_sidewards; 01-24-2020 at 04:34 AM.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2020, 07:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rock Stacker

Member # 65066
Tundra IFS 2007 and up are proven off road with 380HP 400FT LBS stock and a lot of guys are starting to run them with superchargers on and off road. 37's are very common with or without long travel arms. There are some guys running 40's that have bodies that are trashed they wheel them so hard. Go stick your head under a Tundra and you will see the difference in the CV shaft size and everything else is just bigger. There is plenty of aftermarket support for them as well. They are how Ford should have built the Rapturd, instead of slapping a long travel kit on a F150. Now all the Ford guys can tell me how their bent up frame Rapturds are full on prerunners and race trucks.
HydroDynamic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2020, 07:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:

Toyota IFS diffs have always been aluminum since 1986 haven't they?
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2020, 09:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Toyota IFS diffs have always been aluminum since 1986 haven't they?
No, the 86-95 diff covers are aluminum. As far as I know, they are still using cast iron.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88runnasr5 View Post

Something that could handle v8 power and 37"-42" tires
Nothing out of the factory.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2020, 11:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Id be looking at a d50 ttb. Put it on coils w/ Chromos and give it hell?

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2020, 01:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
perfection in plasma

Member # 25823
Send a message via ICQ to carslut
how about the 2500HD gm ifs setup? if guys can blast 1,000tq thru them on the street and not pop them id say that could be a good starting point. a few places sell LT kits for them, just not as many options as other ifs setups. plus they are dirt easy to find and cheap. set of RCV shafts and go play?

i ran a custom set of upper/lower arms and aluminum spacers stock length CV's on my 03 2500hd with h1 12 bolt bead-locks on 37's for a few years. beat the hell out of it at koh and towed cross country never had issues aside from normal wear and tear type stuff. at the time i put 738 WHP and 989 tq to the ground. setup took 4 wheel launches dry or wet all the same.

carslut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2020, 01:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by carslut View Post
how about the 2500HD gm ifs setup? if guys can blast 1,000tq thru them on the street and not pop them id say that could be a good starting point. a few places sell LT kits for them, just not as many options as other ifs setups. plus they are dirt easy to find and cheap. set of RCV shafts and go play?

i ran a custom set of upper/lower arms and aluminum spacers stock length CV's on my 03 2500hd with h1 12 bolt bead-locks on 37's for a few years. beat the hell out of it at koh and towed cross country never had issues aside from normal wear and tear type stuff. at the time i put 738 WHP and 989 tq to the ground. setup took 4 wheel launches dry or wet all the same.
I've never seen diesel power numbers that close together before
Old 01-24-2020, 01:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Is the truck for prerunning or playing in the rocks?

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2020, 02:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
perfection in plasma

Member # 25823
Send a message via ICQ to carslut
Quote:
I've never seen diesel power numbers that close together before
i had a goofball turbo that was not a good match to my setup. the power band was far from what i had hopped for, really was spinning the crap out of the motor to get power....... ran that less than ideal setup for a bit and never got it working quiet right. i am on a whole new motor/turbo/fuel and such now that is about ready to hit the dyno.

any how i really enjoyed the 2500hd ifs after doing work to it. added cylinder assist along with a psc built box and that really helped get the steering into shape to keep up with the abuse the suspension was giving the rest of the truck. for a ifs setup i found it nice gm uses a real steering gear vs. a steering rack. made beefing the steering up cake.

carslut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2020, 01:39 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 184378
Quote:
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards View Post
They all suck stock but the TTB will require the most abuse to break things in stock form and is the cheapest/easiest to build up but it will never be a great street suspension.

None of those options you gave will live long between a v8 and 37" tires unless you're talking stock 70s small-block that makes 250ft*lb and no appreciable horsepower.

This is a stupid question, SD60s have been around for 15yr at this point. Swap one of those in.
The options given where just what I had thought of. Was wondering what other options where out there. Obviously sd60s have been out forever but where the fun in that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroDynamic View Post
Tundra IFS 2007 and up are proven off road with 380HP 400FT LBS stock and a lot of guys are starting to run them with superchargers on and off road. 37's are very common with or without long travel arms. There are some guys running 40's that have bodies that are trashed they wheel them so hard. Go stick your head under a Tundra and you will see the difference in the CV shaft size and everything else is just bigger. There is plenty of aftermarket support for them as well. They are how Ford should have built the Rapturd, instead of slapping a long travel kit on a F150. Now all the Ford guys can tell me how their bent up frame Rapturds are full on prerunners and race trucks.
Definitely agree the tundra front ifs is very impressive seen a few guys running 37-40s and abuse the hell out of them with the v8 power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Id be looking at a d50 ttb. Put it on coils w/ Chromos and give it hell?
I was thinking more 44 beams cutnturned with either 50 diff or something along those lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carslut View Post

Not saying the 2500 stuff isnt beef but I think for wheel travel I'm thinking of and the track width isnt worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Is the truck for prerunning or playing in the rocks?
I'm thinking a little bit of both. Read up on this guy in az that has a fj40 on a 07 tundra front chassis half with long travel he back halfed it and did the whole trailing arms and stuff. I mostly do snow wheeling, sand and trail riding with the occasional waterfall climb here and there. This is mostly just daydreaming of a decent setup to work with. I have a tj tub or a early bronco tub that I dont want to get rid of. Sold everything else I could to help with an accident and slowly recovering from that.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:11 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 45798
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88runnasr5 View Post
The options given where just what I had thought of. Was wondering what other options where out there. Obviously sd60s have been out forever but where the fun in that.

Definitely agree the tundra front ifs is very impressive seen a few guys running 37-40s and abuse the hell out of them with the v8 power.

I was thinking more 44 beams cutnturned with either 50 diff or something along those lines.

Not saying the 2500 stuff isnt beef but I think for wheel travel I'm thinking of and the track width isnt worth it.

I'm thinking a little bit of both. Read up on this guy in az that has a fj40 on a 07 tundra front chassis half with long travel he back halfed it and did the whole trailing arms and stuff. I mostly do snow wheeling, sand and trail riding with the occasional waterfall climb here and there. This is mostly just daydreaming of a decent setup to work with. I have a tj tub or a early bronco tub that I dont want to get rid of. Sold everything else I could to help with an accident and slowly recovering from that.
While I'm not as well versed on personally building IFS, I've done similar daydreaming like you have recently. The benefits of IFS in higher speed driving cannot be beat and on snow wheeling there wouldn't be a huge difference. Building it to survive rocks will be key. The diff itself will need to be stout, but also you'll need to consider the steering system... You could always drop the cash on a Trophy Truck steering rack, but maybe some kind of off she shelf 1 Ton rack would be narrow enough for long travel while still being stout. Probably not though.

I'd probably just buy a newest rolled/rear-ended Tundra I could find at auction, then throw the drivetrain from it a fabricated chassis.
yotota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in