One link feedback if any problems? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2004, 01:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 22721
One link feedback if any problems?

I have read the past post's about 1 Link suspensions.I was wondering about any feedback of the people that are running them if they have had any problem's.Also what size heims has everyone been experimenting with on a 1 link.I use 1 1/4" on my 3 link right now on the jeep but I am starting a buggy next week and thinking about this on the rear.I just worry about the one big con.If it breaks everything goes to crap for the day in a hurry...lol..please on feedback regarding this no smart ass reply's like try search that gets old reading that one in a hurry...
TheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2004, 08:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 4568
Send a message via AIM to YeeP
I think you answered your own question. If it does break, you are fawked. So you have to decide if you can deal with that (ie redesign a stronger "arm") or you would feel better with a design that can break and still run if you have too. Good luck ....
YeeP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2004, 10:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 15084
It works, I spilled my guts in the last thread. I have never seen an arm break.
SuperRanger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2004, 12:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 22721
That is cool what size arm's have you seen people using for the set up.I have not found any sizes on here and I can not even find the old post about this.If anyone has a link please post it.I am not really worried about the arm breaking I am just concered about what size heim to use.I remmber a post from a well known shop also posting pic's of his but can not remmber who it was.Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 22721
well I am going to assume no one has any problem's or breakage with there one link's.Or maybe they are to embaresed to say...lol
Old 08-19-2004, 07:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 23035
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRipper
well I am going to assume no one has any problem's or breakage with there one link's.Or maybe they are to embaresed to say...lol
Or maybe you should wait for the night crew to show up..
Old 08-19-2004, 11:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 22229
Ford radius arm style links are strong as hell, and quiet, a friend has been beating on it for two years or so and is still on the original parts. He runs one link front and rear with airbags.
PoopHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2004, 12:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 2920
Send a message via MSN to Whizzy
Here are my 1 link parking lot poser shots.......

Its not done yet (need time to do it).........and yes I know that a forklift isnt a true test.

Anyway......here are some shots.

Whizzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2004, 06:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Send a message via AIM to usmcdoc14 Send a message via Yahoo to usmcdoc14
Whizzy that shit is looking SWEEET

back to the thread: I am still building my "one link" (cash dictating) and the hiems are designed to be "caged" with a safty strap to the link so if the hiem breaks or the bolt shears the link will still be contained inside the cage. It will be sloppy as hell if it does break but it will get me off the trail or to the side without destroying eveything in a failure.

I highly doubt my arms will break, but we will see

usmcdoc14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2004, 10:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 22721
Thank's guys for the imput.Wizzy your truck was the one I was trying to find..lol..and hey poophead your friend just uses a radius arm built into the link at each end?If so that sounds cool.Wizzy didn't you use a hiem off as tractor or something?USMC what size heims are you using for your's?I am thinking of using one of my 1 1/4" but I have a guy that said he can get me a 1 1/2" or maybe even a 2"...
Old 08-20-2004, 03:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Send a message via AIM to usmcdoc14 Send a message via Yahoo to usmcdoc14
Quote:
Thank's guys for the imput.Wizzy your truck was the one I was trying to find..lol..and hey poophead your friend just uses a radius arm built into the link at each end?If so that sounds cool.Wizzy didn't you use a hiem off as tractor or something?USMC what size heims are you using for your's?I am thinking of using one of my 1 1/4" but I have a guy that said he can get me a 1 1/2" or maybe even a 2"...
1 1/4
if i manage to break them at the arm liength i have them i did something stupid and need to upgrade

usmcdoc14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2004, 04:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 2920
Send a message via MSN to Whizzy
Quote:

I went with the radius arm bushing on my center pivot point. I used 2" sched 80 pipe for the link itself also.

When i get home I will dig up some pics and post em for ya.
Whizzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2004, 06:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 22513
wow i was detered from building the one link, now that ive seen that im convinced again that it is the simplest and cheaper way to go. how is your anti squat? and can you post a pic of your panhard bar angle and mounts? thanks.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 21660
you guys should look into some heavy equipment companies some dozers have some huge heims in certain areas i know that they are 2"+ and if they stand up to the force of a dozer pushing a couple of tons of dirt i think they would hold up on a rig. Just an idea im putting out
thelbz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2004, 09:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
mj

Member # 1919
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelbz
you guys should look into some heavy equipment companies some dozers have some huge heims in certain areas i know that they are 2"+ and if they stand up to the force of a dozer pushing a couple of tons of dirt i think they would hold up on a rig. Just an idea im putting out
that is what I am building with
mj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2004, 01:03 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 22721
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelbz
I was wondering about them.The ones I have seen only pivot up and down and have no side to side flex.I have heard the ones on a grader pivot in all direction's.I think I am going ahead and going with a 1 link and leave the front a 2 link for now.I really like the safety strap idead kind of like race car's..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in