Question: Man-Made Rock Gardens - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2004, 03:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Moderating Midget

Member # 1154
Send a message via AIM to wngrog
Question: Man-Made Rock Gardens

I have a friend that is in the infancy stage of having a man-made rock garden built and we were wondering just how big does one have to be to stay challenging over repeated use.

Anyone done this and not have it beat down to nothing after little use?

Every man-made pile I have ever wheeled is crap after a couple of months.

What are you guys doing to make them hold up? How big are they in the beginning.

Money is not really an issue, nor is space.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
1984 FJ-60
2013 RZR-XP4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USAF Veteran 1988-1998 GOD Bless America
wngrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2004, 03:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 24704
If you space the rocks apart far enough, your tires can and will eventually dig ruts deep enough to wedge yourself pretty good.

Of course I wouldn't know about getting stuck or anything.
Tim84K10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2004, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 28273
Build it out of concrete, or imbedd the rocks in 'crete.

Fill in class 5, cover it in chicken wire, pour 4 inches of concrete over that and 'voila! Instant rock park.

Old 09-13-2004, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 22721
How close will this be to Ft. Worth?Just curious...Man if you need rock's about the size of midsize car's they keep digging a crap load up over off Heratige PKWY and Beach street.You might be able to get them from them for free.I used to deliver stuff over there all the time and see them and they are so big once set down they would not move I don't think.Seriously there are some huge rock's though.I have not been over there in a while they may be gone now but they are starting a new section right off the highway so there will be more...good luck
TheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2004, 04:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 940
You need pretty big rocks so they don't move. With a few good pillar rocks that helps but if all you have are rocks that a few guys can move it will suck as a wheeling pile. Like the other guy said if you have some concrete that will help to keep things where you want and you can also stack a few and make them as one to make foe larger obstacles. Big rocks are the key IMO.

Deep Cryogenic Tempering Service
[b][SIZE="5"]Find all my products at[/SIZE][/b]

[b][SIZE="4"]916-434-6978
Custom Sway Bars and Axles built to order. [/SIZE][/b]
[b][SIZE="5"]Got 40 spline? I have the hubs, spindles, and axles you need to kickass![/SIZE][/b]
Custom Hummer wheels and centers
Axle Resplining
66CJdean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2004, 04:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Moderating Midget

Member # 1154
Send a message via AIM to wngrog
They will have to come from the are where the rock garden will be. Flood plain stuff.

Doubt there will be any concrete involved, but will see, that is a good idea.
1984 FJ-60
2013 RZR-XP4

USAF Veteran 1988-1998 GOD Bless America
wngrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2004, 08:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 17324
However they did that little section at hollister would be the way to go,place the rocks in concrete then dump some dirt over it.Its basically 3 huge rocks placed apart w/ seperator rocks in between & you slaomn (sp)through them.probably lots of pics on this board.
whthilux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2004, 10:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3263
put the rock garden under 2 to 3 feet of water in the middle of a river filled with gators

then tell whoever complains to go get F***ed

fcfred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2004, 11:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 22229
I'm in the process of making my own...I'm building more of a "trail" than a rock pile, my first truck and transfer of rocks was 3-4' boulders and it made about 40 yards of trail. Partially burying them helps to keep them put, and digging holes before and after them make it challenging. I'd like to get about 3 more truck and transfers of rock and then it would be a good length trail. We are planning a little competition once its complete....it's gonna be lots of fun!

PoopHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2004, 11:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 3370
I've always thought some "urban mall type" wheeling would make for a fun course.
Get concrete foundation, stairs, walls etc left over from some demolision jobs and use that to help build up a course.
The rebar may need to be cut off but could make for a pretty fun course.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 23035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook
I've always thought some "urban mall type" wheeling would make for a fun course.
Get concrete foundation, stairs, walls etc left over from some demolision jobs and use that to help build up a course.
The rebar may need to be cut off but could make for a pretty fun course.
Why not just go drive other things at the mall?
Old 09-14-2004, 04:35 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 6494
The beginings of my trail are big chunks of concrete that the previous owner dumped on the property(old tool rental place). I think the key is to be able to move the bigger rocks/chunks around every once in a while. It gets boring once you've figured the line over your hardest obstacle. We've been moving stuff around with a friend's bulldozer that was being stored on our property, but now it's gone and the trail has gotten lame again.
[SIZE="4"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I][COLOR="Magenta"]#914 Pampered Chef Buggy[/COLOR][/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"][U][COLOR="Blue"]Companies we're proud to work with[/COLOR][/U][/SIZE]
[COLOR="Blue"]East Coast Gear Supply[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Reid Racing[/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]RCV Performance Axles[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Sienna"]Rose Grinding & MFG[/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]Single Source Welding[/COLOR]

[B][COLOR="Wheat"]Northern member of MUD DEVILS[/COLOR][/B]
EasyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2004, 06:33 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 16224
One thing to keep in mind is that when the rocks move a little or turn over, it changes the course and thereby keeps it interesting... As such, I think if the rocks are 2-5' in diameter, they're "movable", but not so small they just get buried...
Old 09-14-2004, 09:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
KY Mtn Crawler

Member # 9865
Send a message via ICQ to Shoope1 Send a message via AIM to Shoope1 Send a message via Yahoo to Shoope1
Good thread.
This will help in the build of a trail or two on the offroad park we are working on.

Shoope1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2004, 10:32 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 28008
A few big rocks(5-10') with some smaller rocks(2-3') around them, it makes for a great homemade garden. There's a place where we wheel, that's like this. We didn't make it, but the people clearing it for a golf course that went bankrupt inadvertanly(sp?) created a helluva garden. Thing is, the big ones stay put but the little one roll and changes your lines something major. Every 2-3 trucks through, it'll be a totally different line. Here's a few pics.

And my rig

You really get the idea from the 3rd pic. You can see the smaller rocks behind the big ones.
Trancezj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2004, 10:47 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 22229
Thats dope dude! I'd love to get mine to that state some day!
PoopHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2004, 10:53 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 28008
I wish we could take credit for building it, but they just exploded a bunch of rocks right there and dumped them. We just cut the trail and ride it all the time.
Trancezj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in