4link for the dunes - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2004, 02:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 3775
4link for the dunes

there is a ton of info on this forum about building 4links, on truggies, buggies, jeeps, ect. but all these seem to be geared towards rockcrawling, a few for street use.

my buddy and i are thinking about linking up the rear of his full size blazer. this truck it pretty much built for pismo and mud, he has a yota for trails and rocks.

i was thinking the best option would be a double triangulated 4 link, i was also thinking of a wishbone 3 link. but just because that works for rockcrawling, doesnt mean it will work for hittin dunes.

so really, the question is what would you do differently when designing a rear suspention for sand dunes than for rockcrawling.

Jeff
Old 09-15-2004, 03:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 16812
Sounds like overkill for just sand and mud. Why not leaf springs? Just the challenge of building it? (which I totally understand)

You can have a boatlod of adjustment if you get some adjustable shocks and play around with adding and removing leafs. For an hours' work it would be a completely different rig every weekend.

-tom
LandCroozer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2004, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tech Editor

Member # 1656
A properly designed triangulated 4 link will work for any situation. You may want different anti-squat # for mud racing than rock crawling though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

camo is my hero, even if he is gay

Air Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2004, 01:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4830
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCroozer
Sounds like overkill for just sand and mud. Why not leaf springs? Just the challenge of building it? (which I totally understand)

You can have a boatlod of adjustment if you get some adjustable shocks and play around with adding and removing leafs. For an hours' work it would be a completely different rig every weekend.

-tom
Not at all my jeep takes more of a beating during duneing than all other time put together. (especialy the motor!)

I would look at the rear suspetion on some desert or stadium racing trucks. For the dunes you need it to soak up some big bumps.

beerman
HeyBeerMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2004, 02:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 5842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffh555

so really, the question is what would you do differently when designing a rear suspention for sand dunes than for rockcrawling.

Jeff

Design it with less anti-squat (compared to the crawler nembers you typically read), and minimize anti-squat gain throughout the wheel travel as a preference over a flat roll axis. Traction is much less in sand and mud, promoting more wheel hop if the AS% is high, and with the lower traction the roll steer effect is not as much of a consideration as stable traction (favoring a predictable AS% throughout the travel range).

FWIW, save money on the suspension and spend it on good adjustable dampening shocks and springs that resist fade. Make it lightweight.

Happy Trails!
Ed A. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2004, 06:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 24605
Here is a thread from Classicbroncos.com with some pics of a dune Bronco suspension.

http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums...ight=free4all3

some action pics here; video on page 6

http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums...ight=free4all3

Last edited by wuzabronco; 09-15-2004 at 08:22 PM.
wuzabronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in