Ttc talk, go ahead and sue me! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2004, 11:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
JR
OG13 King

Member # 8524
Ttc talk, go ahead and sue me!

The results are out in the mag., finally .
Points of interest: Stan (6x6), you must be a hell of a driver to win the mini rubicon, One would think dragging three axles through the rocks would make it harder.
What's up with the Tank Trap? 8 out of 10 got a DNF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2004, 11:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 12401
Send a message via AIM to Pappa Smurf
Any pics yet? I just got the issue with all the vehicles in it and was very disappointed. There were 3 jeeps set up almost exactly the same.

Who won?
Old 09-19-2004, 12:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 6536
I'm still bitter that two years ago I didn't make it in, so I usually pick apart every vehicle in it. And the main thing that pissed me off this year they had two suburbans??? Suburbans!?

Ok I've bitched enough, if anything it's my fault for not entering again after missing out the first year

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ROKN ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2004, 01:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 187
worst TTc to date. Will probly just let subsription lapse after 15 years.The mag has really gone down hill lately.

:flipoff2:
GearMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2004, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 1636
someone post pics I never bothered to renew

thanks
chris demartini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2004, 02:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 23035
havent even seen it yet.. all i no is theres 3 near identical jeeps.. werent even that hardcore either
Old 09-19-2004, 05:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
JR
OG13 King

Member # 8524
Scores and pic of winner and White Knight.
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2004, 05:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 4303
somebody post some pics damn it.

Don
taradon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2004, 05:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 11955
actully there was only one suburban the other one was a k30 shortened (also really scary to look at!) As for the 6x6 that thing is bad ass all those tires just pushed its way threw everything and his sport was really good (she got him threw the tank trap with out a winch up till that stupid side ditch that everyone gets stuck in. Even though the rocks were alot easyer this year then past years.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
JR
OG13 King

Member # 8524
Quote:
Originally Posted by taradon
somebody post some pics damn it.

Don
I could scan every page in the ttc section of the mag, but somebody might sue me Anyway, the quality isn't worth the effort.

The obstackle course looked like a blast, more interesting than previous years.

The dude that won, Brad's Blue Beast is just the kind of rig that I'd bet on.
Medium sized rig on 44s, knarly drive train and lots of h.p.

Last edited by JR; 09-19-2004 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 17517
Send a message via AIM to Bmf24 Send a message via MSN to Bmf24 Send a message via Yahoo to Bmf24
there problem is they havent changed the comp in how many years yet the sport has changed a ton. i think the ttc's place has come and gone.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
www.patparts.com

Member # 4821
I think TTC is just what it is suppossed to be. A compeition for the most extreme trucks out there with bodies. Everybody got pissed off when all the buggies started turning up and winning, which is fine. Contrary to what you would think by reading this board, there is still a place out there for big Jeeps and trucks and trail riding. I'm glad they had some more "stock" rigs this year. It's still cool to me just to build a big fuckin truck and show off in it, which is basically what those guys are doing. If I still had my Jeep I would enter it in a heartbeat.

J. J.

patooyee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2004, 08:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Moderating Midget

Member # 1154
Send a message via AIM to wngrog
You gotta admit, that Cruiser was bad ass......coolest rig in TTC since JRs rig.
1984 FJ-60
2013 RZR-XP4

USAF Veteran 1988-1998 GOD Bless America
wngrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2004, 10:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 13471
It's my understanding that TTC started out from an idea based on readers rides and how everybody was always saying how theirs was the best anywhere, so the mag said let's see who really is.
The best should be the most fun in all conditions (assumming most of the readership can't afford a separate rig for each type of driving) that's why I think they should put more emphasis on streetability. Fun isn't just for weekends.

I tried to get in based on the fact that my Jeep is very similar to the first two winners and I thought it would be cool to see how that would stack up against todays rigs, I also have a fair amount of experience driving all kinds of terrain so it might be an interesting case study. You know I'm all about the science.
I'll try again next year.

Rage 4th "safety is our #2 concern"
raceanything is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2004, 10:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 13028
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR
What's up with the Tank Trap? 8 out of 10 got a DNF
I was there today watching a buddy trying to start the Trap in a worthy buggy. The first ledge looked to be impossible without a winch, the rest looked doable. The water hole before the first ledge was smelling really foul too.

JeepinDoug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2004, 11:04 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 23035
Congrants to white knight.. I honestly didnt see that coming, but I guess with tons of power & monster boggers anything is possible!
Old 09-19-2004, 11:05 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 11598
pics of the cruiser?
Old 09-19-2004, 11:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
I'd like to see JR's rig that was in TTC!

2013 Raptor SuperCrew Tow Rig
Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2004, 12:29 AM   #19 (permalink)
JR
OG13 King

Member # 8524
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxracer
I'd like to see JR's rig that was in TTC!
Nah, there's pics floating around here somewhere, but the thread is about this years ttc.

The hardest part of ttc is getting voted in. The readers aren't to freindly to Rock crawlers and generally don't get voted in. If you have a rock crawler and you want in, you need to stage the photo. Jack it up, borrow some 44's and lie about the hp. OK, so now your in, but you are still going to need the lift, tires and hp to win. I mean, there's only the mini rubicon to show off your 'crawler. But wait, this year the mini 'con was won by a ... full size, four ton, three axle 6x6!
Once you are in, you will have the best time of your life, I can assure you.
Just remember to drive the V in the Tank Trap. A little higher on the left than you think. The rig should be tilting slightly to the passenger side to anable the rig to stick to the left wall. If done right, there is could be as much as six feet or more from the bottom of the V to the bottom of your rig. You need to stay on that left wall!

Old 09-20-2004, 07:46 AM   #20 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmf24
there problem is they havent changed the comp in how many years yet the sport has changed a ton.

Comp hasn't changed? Dude, the first two TTC's were won by fairly-stock CJ's, spring-under with 2.5" Rancho springs & 33's. Think one of those would stand a chance today?

TEX

Thanks to:

Extreme Performance

Bear Creek Auto Recyclers

TEX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2004, 07:51 AM   #21 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR
The hardest part of ttc is getting voted in. The readers aren't to freindly to Rock crawlers and generally don't get voted in.
Proof positive that an AWFUL lot of folks out there are into something OTHER than rocks (ahem, you listening Primedia? ).

TEX

Thanks to:

Extreme Performance

Bear Creek Auto Recyclers

TEX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2004, 01:14 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 3360
Send a message via AIM to white knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by stover
As soon as the Mag hits the shelf competitors may say what ever they want.

TTC was a fantastic experience. Robin (my husband) and I co-own the truck. We both wanted to drive so we drew to see who would - he won. (Lucky guy  ) Rob (a friend) practically lived in our garage the 3 months before TTC helping us. I decided that he should be co driver. It was hard but so exciting to watch. The trip down was the trip from hell. We weren’t sure we would make it in time. We drove for 3 days-16 hour days-the tow truck overheating. We slept in rest areas on the trailer because by the time we would stop the campgrounds were closed. It was freaky to wake up (under the Knight) and have people staring you at the truck. The final time we overheated was at the sign that said 3 miles to Hollister Hills, we couldn’t believe it. That’s when we saw Jeepzilla drive by with his motor home. He stopped, we said our hellos and told him that we were okay; we just had to let the tow truck cool down. Got to the camp at about 8; 00pm Sunday. We were toast.

One thing I must say, the atmosphere between competitors though out the whole event was excellent. Everyone was friendly, everyone helped each other out, and everyone wanted each other to do the best they could. It was great.

We decided to see how the truck was running at this new altitude. Carb was way off, so we proceeded to try and tune it. It was getting there but we never did get it where it should be. The four wheeler staff said their hellos, met Robin and some of the judges. Everyone was really nice. First events were the measurements, rti, engineering and photo shoots. On the slow side which was good.

Acceleration and braking test at the airport. We ran around the day before trying to get the tow rig fixed up so we could pull the truck to the airport. Didn’t get it done. Made it to the airport. Did the acceleration test. The truck run like a cow- Robin came back- only to find that the throttle cable was seized. He did the acceleration at half throttle with no nitrous. We thought we’d fair well at this event- there went this one we thought to ourselves. Did the braking test and headed back to camp to fix the cable. The tow rig overheated on the way back. F**k! Farted around with the tow rig again. The gas pedal ripped off at the acceleration test so put some duct tape to use as a pedal. Every one seemed to have issues at the acceleration test except for Brad. He did great.

The hill climb. All competitors drove up to see this steep hill climb with a turn and huge berms as obstacles all the way up. Robin heads up to the starting line and the truck stalls. Great first impression……….duh!. Carbs suck!!!! Yes, carbs really suck!!!!!The only way he was making it up this hill was full throttle- no way out of that. Robin hammers it- over the first berm up to the turn –slows down and almost stalls her, hammers her again-the truck screams all the way up the rest of the hill. Robin said all he saw was sky and trees- going from side to side. That looked like a trip and a half. The unimog made it look like nothing. The 6x6 had a good run.. The burb worked half way up spewing huge stacks of smoke. I believe 5 people made it up the hill.

The frame twister- it looked short but nasty. It’s a hard strip. The thought was to just go as far as they could and winch the rest of the way through. I think this was pretty much everyone’s plan. The guys were checking the truck just before they started for the frame twister. I drew number one and they weren’t back. Stan (owner of the 6x6) approached me and asked me if I wanted to trade- he was number 6. I thanked him and took him up on his offer. That 6x6 is a sweet rig and the owners are two of the nicest and funniest people we have met. They work so great together as a team. We took out a bump stop in the frame twister; The 6x6 blew a bead.

The mud pit- this thing was nasty. There wasn’t a running start and it was really deep right at the beginning. Everyone just hammered it as far as they could go.Ther was just a huge wall that no one overcame.

The mini Rubicon- Surprised we came in third there. Second time ever on rocks- not knowing anything about them. Rob (the spotter) first time ever. No bead locks and still at 22 lbs of pressure from the rti ramp. They did the best could could with what they knew. The 6x6 had an awesome run. The yellow jeep, Jeepzilla, had an unreal run. Those 49” iroks just walked right through. He was so sure of himself; his co-pilot was reading an issue of Four Wheeler as they drove through. It was hilarious. Too bad he hit a cone at the very end that cost him a 5 minute penalty.

The tow test- Huge heavy truck. The nitrous worked great on there- the heavier trucks did better here.

The obstacle course- excellent laid out course. Nice job by the Four Wheeler crew. There were I believe 3 flops here – The unimog, the cut off K30 , the burb and Jeepzilla put it on it’s side a couple of times Robin had a good run. Broke one inner and one outer . They went back to camp to do the fix. We missed some of the runs. Jason, the owner of the burb, had a lot of hard luck with breakage . He broke a couple of shafts. Rob Ruttledge ( the owner of the land cruiser) lent him the front shaft from his tow rig. Jason worked through the night to modify it to fit his burb. He was working on the burb again when we got back to camp again. He sliced his hand badly with a grinder while trying to do the fix. He was told to go to the hospital as he needed to get stitches. He would not go until the day was done. He insisted on helping us. He was pounding away helping us while blood is dripping down his arm. It was unreal. Everyone there did everything they could to help each other out. Outstanding.

The tank trap- we felt this was going to be our event. It’s similar to our type of trails. One thing you learn from competition is not only the faults in the truck but that you can’t be lazy even if you’re burnt out. One suggestion I would make to future TTC competitors is give yourselfs a couple of extra days for the trip, especially if it’s a long one. You tend to let things go that you know you shouldn’t. The gas tank wasn;t filled went into the tank trap with ¾ of a tank - mistake one. The valve cover gasket was worn, we knew it should have been replaced- too tired, didn’t bother- mistake two. Off they start. I went and waited by hole 6. I was pretty confident they would make it there within 12-15 minutes. Wrong! They winched to hole two, were off camber and had fuel cell pick up issues. They didn’t figure it out for a while. They tried the fuel pump and so on. Finally they sloshed the tank . Bingo. Next, the valve cover gasket blows off, engine oil starts pouring onto the header and a fire starts. Fuel is leaking from the rear and there is a fire all along the headers. Fire extinguisher comes out to put the fire out. Mistake three- no communication. They should have had frs’s or something. Time is ticking. The guys are wearing out. They get the truck going again finally. Throughout all of this , they didn’t realize the winch was still hooked up. Rob is lying on the floor half dead. Robin is frustrated at everything that has happened, time is running out , the judges say – you have 8 minutes left. Robin tells Rob, I’ll meet you at hole three or I’m going to go as far as I can, I hear over the radio- everyone, get out of the way, he is coming through and he is pissed. Rob screams stop- Robin doesn’t hear. Robin hammers the truck through the canyon full throttle, goes about 80 feet and BANG!!!!!. The winch cable stops him. That was a super hard stop. Thought the front diff got ripped off. More oil starts spewing out of the engine. Oil pressure is now zero. Robin calls it. What a trip.!. Sonny extracts the truck with the scorpion. They pass out on the floor at the top of the hill. I watched Brad’s run. It was a beautiful run. Nicely done. We head back to camp , depressed and happy it was over at the same time . We heard everyone’s run, the screams, the hollers, the excitement…… The unimog destroyed one side of the beautiful job he did on that build up. The 6x6 breaking shattering it’s window, Jimmy and his jeep just being so excited to be there. Rob and Darryl, the cruiser, having a good run at the tank trap. The event was amazing. We learned so much. We met fantastic people. We’d hook up with them anytime. Brad deserved to win. He had his act together and his truck worked well for him. We felt we could have done better but that’s the game. Every truck there had a really good chance to take that event. We were impressed . We chased the pigs , the raccoons and partied. . The staff at Four Wheeler was wonderful. We met people we only talked through on the internet. This event has definitely opened our appetite to travel down south more and check out different types of events. We definitely need to learn a lot about rocks. The TTC tape should have great footage of everyone there. Thanks to everyone for the votes, to let us experience this great venue, to the staff, to the competitors. I wish I could post pictures and video but I will not. That’s Four Wheeler’s gig.
We never had the chance to even see the beach , we had to fix the tow rig and had another 3 day drive back home. That only means we have to come back and visit. Bead locks are on . Fuel injection is coming

For anyone thinking of trying to get in, we say DO IT!
white knight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2004, 04:23 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 16051
Man...sounds like a freakin blast, I wish I could make it out there sometime and see that in person. Maybe someday I guess.

I was kinda rootin for the White Knight Team, I have always loved your rig! S-10s with big blocks and 44s are badass...anyways...glad you guys did decent, should try it again in a few years...good luck and get some FI on that thing, you will LOVE it!!!

Brian
Big96zr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2004, 08:32 PM   #24 (permalink)
JR
OG13 King

Member # 8524
Great story, white knight! You must have been a typist because it would have taking me a week to write that. I know what you mean, though. Ttc is an unbelievable experience. Thanks for sharing.
I remember the day before the Tank trap started, I kept hearing water truck after water truck all day long going to the top of the 'trap to dump more water and thinking "damn, that's enough water, stop already!"

Old 09-20-2004, 10:15 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 25666
With all the hype about White knight you would of thought he would of had beadlocks,fuel injection and fixed all of the serious problems. Acracked valve cover gasket with oil leaking out and fuel leaking out i am surprized no one got seriously hurt or killed. All i can say is some people just dont get it. There is always next year.
just want to wheel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in