sm465 1st gear popping out - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2004, 09:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 17253
sm465 1st gear popping out

Wheeled the jeep this weekend pretty hard and I'm getting 1st gear popping out on deacceleration. I'd wheeled it a half a dozen times before with no problem. I did some searching on the board and net for it but haven't found anything yet. Btw when I say 1st I'm thinking of it as L,1st,2nd and 3rd. I already have did the 2nd gear fix (spacer) when I first put it in. But I was talking to a buddy of mine who read about a fix in a mag years ago (coulda been the spacer), looked thru mine and couldn't find anything. Anyways I looked around and found nothing for 1st other than maybe bending a shift fork.
ducmon900 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2004, 12:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 234
Send a message via ICQ to toy283
My 420 does the same thing. Something I'd like to fix as well. I've got used to picking gear combinations that don't use 1st but I'd still like to have it available.
toy283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2004, 12:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 25232
So only 1st gear does it? Check your detent spring or ball, which ever it has. It is probaly worn out and can not hold any more. Make sure all you bellhousing bolts are tight also. If those are not it, then one of the gears on the main shaft or the counter shaft has worn a taper. I bet it is the detent spring though.
WestJDJP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2004, 08:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 29609
Send a message via MSN to doctor_cad
Mine was doing this also. There was a thread on here a couple years ago about this, but I couldnt find it using 'search'.

Anyway, the fix is easy if you are doing a rebuild. When the countershaft is out, you will see that the c'shaft input gear is retained by snaprings fore and aft. There is an upgrade available in the form of a solid spacer which replaces the aft snap ring (p/n 14020811) This prevents the input gear from 'walking' and misaligning the gear train. Its the misalgnment that forces the trans to pop out of gear.

Here's a link:
http://thisdysfunctional.org/postnuk...artid=3&page=1

Also, a pic:
Attached Images

doctor_cad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2004, 09:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 144
Ya beat me too posting this It's a pretty simple fix really. Like I said in that thread last year (I think) and in the link.. it's just tubing, what size I donno.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 17253
Yea I've already got the solid spacer (piece of pipe). It was in the tranny when I got it and thinking it probably didn't I had one in the mail from anaheim. I thought that was the fix for the 2nd gear problem? When I ordered the spacer from anaheim I picked up some synchro's (had one broke) and some new dentent springs that they recommended. Those new springs were really stiff ones too and noticably longer than the old ones. I checked the bellhousing and the skidplate and everythings tight. The more I think about and tell me if I'm wrong but if I had a bent shifter fork I would probably be getting some problems elsewhere, maybe 4th? and I'm not. I bet I got a gear worn pretty bad in there because as soon as I get off the gas it pops out. Anyhow thanks for the suggestions...I'll look at here in a couple of days and report back.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1525
bent fork, or all that plastic crap wore off the tips and the fork is just wore out? try and swap the covers out? easy test with the tranny still in veh.

Old 05-18-2005, 08:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 17253
Got it fixed but not sure what the problem was. I went ahead and rebuilt it with bearings, synchros although the ones I had in it looked fine, new bushings ect. Broke down and put new shift forks into it too. I think what I had was a combination of a worn pilot bushing with worn bearings..I neverer measured my endplay when I first put it in but I did on this time around, it was in spec and it was a lot tighter than before. Doesn't jump out of gear anymore. Side not don't use a stock luk clutch if your wheelin it, I smoke mine first time out. Went to a centerforce dual friction and so far so good. Wheeled it once already and it held up with no signs of giving up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in