Pirate 4x4 banner

16.5" rims cheap beadlock idea

49K views 65 replies 39 participants last post by  whiteman 
#1 · (Edited)
If you are running short on cash and getting tired of popping beads on your safety-beadless 16.5" rims, here is what you can do for less than 30$. Although this is not my idea, some guys on this board were doing this on the inner bead only with outer weld-on beadlocks. Why not try it on both inner and outer beads. I basically welded a 3/16" wire as a safety bead. I did this mod about 3 weeks ago and I have done some pretty nasty trails since and these safety beads held up extremely well at 8-9 PSI in my 38"SX even under severe deformation of the tires by rocks and tree roots.

UPDATE: 27 APR 07

The only problem with this method is that dirt get caught in between the rim and tire on the outer side only and the tires would leak air.

I'm still running the inner safety beads on the inside of my 16.5" rims, but with 32 Bolt beadlocks welded on the outside of the rim.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
87JeepWrangler said:
any trouble seating the tire on the bead when you mounted it? how did you know how far back to weld the bead?
Actually yes. They did give me trouble to seat the beads. However, it's much easier to weld the whole wire onto the rim and grind it smooth after (so air can't escape). I used lots of ratchet straps to compress the tires when seating them.

Also, I think I measured 1 5/8" from the edge of the rim to where I welded the wire.

#6 ·
So just filling the tire with air was not enough to pop the bead over the wire? You had to use ratchet straps around the tire? I have some 44's for 16.5 rims and have considered this over buying expensive double beadlocks. How difficult do you think it will be to remove the tire when you want to replace them? I am just wondering, if it was that hard to get them to pop over the wire, then maybe a slightly smaller diameter would be better? Sounds like it works well though.

Danny

#8 ·
DRKelly said:
So just filling the tire with air was not enough to pop the bead over the wire? You had to use ratchet straps around the tire? I have some 44's for 16.5 rims and have considered this over buying expensive double beadlocks. How difficult do you think it will be to remove the tire when you want to replace them? I am just wondering, if it was that hard to get them to pop over the wire, then maybe a slightly smaller diameter would be better? Sounds like it works well though.

Danny

My tires are 38x12.50 on 9.75" rim, and they even give me trouble to seat on rims without safety beads. So I assume that wider tires should be easier to seat.

Now I don't know how hard it would be to unseat the tires of the rims for maintenance purposes. But I think that the technique shown in the third picture should work.

#10 ·
Binder said:
This is a good idea but it's not original. I've been doing it for years. :)

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6232&highlight=safety+bead

Long term it holds up great. I only busted one bead on my 38's when the tire went completely flat and I drove on it. Now running 42's usually at about 4 PSI and yet to loose one.
Hey Binder,

I read that thread, but did not find what I am looking for. Any problem getting the tire over the wire when they need to be replaced? What distance from the inner rim edge did you weld the wire? What wire diameter did you use?

Thanks,
DK

#11 ·
Yes they sometimes can be a bitch to pop over the wire. Not that big of a deal, just use some soap if need be. I used 9 gage wire. Don't know off hand what inch size that equates to. I just measured as close as I could where the back side of the tire would be and put the wire there. I also made a jig. Use a vicegrip C clamp and a couple small pieces of flat stock. Grind the flat stock to fit the contour of the wheel inside and out and weld it to the vice grips. Cut a notch in the flat stock where you want the wire. This way it's consistant where the wire is welded on.

DRKelly said:
Hey Binder,

I read that thread, but did not find what I am looking for. Any problem getting the tire over the wire when they need to be replaced? What distance from the inner rim edge did you weld the wire? What wire diameter did you use?

Thanks,
DK

#15 ·
Binder said:
This is a good idea but it's not original. I've been doing it for years. :)

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6232&highlight=safety+bead

Long term it holds up great. I only busted one bead on my 38's when the tire went completely flat and I drove on it. Now running 42's usually at about 4 PSI and yet to loose one.

I mentioned that this wasn't my idea in my first post, I probably read your posts when searching on safety beads :)

#16 ·
bgreen said:
Why not just use silicone, liquid nails, or something like that. Less heat into the wheel so less chance of warpage, less money, less weight.
My rims are using another "not original idea". I boight them off of Azrockcrawler. The guy who modded them used some sort of resin to build up the rim. Can't remember how far back the built up portion goes back but it creates a really tight fit for the tire. Chris reffered to them as Baumlocks or something like that.

#17 ·
AZRocks said:
My rims are using another "not original idea". I boight them off of Azrockcrawler. The guy who modded them used some sort of resin to build up the rim. Can't remember how far back the built up portion goes back but it creates a really tight fit for the tire. Chris reffered to them as Baumlocks or something like that.
Yeah, Roger locks, after Roger Baum, who can sell you a kit or do them for you. Great guy, and a good idea. I was thinking of doing my inner beads on my beadlocks like that. (They are Aluminum).

#18 ·
What I ment was... Just tack the wire on, then rather than welding completely around the wire, just seal it off with silicone, or liquid nails or something like that. I like the wire idea, since it will offer an abrupt edge to hold the bead in place, but when I do this mod this winter, I will use something other than weld to seal the ring.

#20 ·
i did this same thing on my 16.5X14 wheels, i used 1/4 square stock. i then ground down the inner edge of the square stock to help make the tire go on easier. what a pain in the ass. (44" swampers) were brand new when i did this. bead did not want to push out even with ratchet straps. more work than i ever thought it would be but i can run my tiress at 4-5 psi on a 5400lb rig and not worry about the bead falling off yet. (been two yrs.) i hope i never have to pull the tires off the wheels!!!

#21 ·
bgreen said:
What I meant was... Just tack the wire on, then rather than welding completely around the wire, just seal it off with silicone, or liquid nails or something like that. I like the wire idea, since it will offer an abrupt edge to hold the bead in place, but when I do this mod this winter, I will use something other than weld to seal the ring.
I agree. I am thinking stitch weld the wire 1" every 3 or 4 inches and then fill the rest with something like you mentioned. 9 gauge wire on the AWG chart is 0.1144" diameter just for reference. Seems like a few different sizes are being used.

DK

#22 ·
We've been doing this for years also with great results. We use 3/16" which I think is the same as #9 wire. I saw a guy who tryed it with 1/4" roundstock and had a hell of a time seating the bead. They ended up using either to seat it, but used too much and it blew the valve stem right out of the rim. After that, they were unable to unseat the bead to replace the valve stem. (I think they were regilar 16.5 rims with the roundstock welded to both beads).

#26 ·
DRKelly said:
Ok, sounds like 1/4" is too big and anything between 0.1144" (9 gauge) and 0.1875" will work.

ddjjeep,

You have any problems breaking the bead over the wire with 3/16" when changing tires? You guys weld all the way around or stitch and fill?

DK

Yea, they put up a fight, but it can be done. Usualy drive over them with another rig. We weld all the way around on just one side (towards the center of the rim). I think stitching it and using some other filler/ sealer would work well too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.