2 Month Cross Country Crawl/PBB meet-n-greet?Need some input - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2004, 09:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 17164
2 Month Cross Country Crawl **CANCELLED**

Just got out the Navy yesterday and as a treat to myself,I am going to load down the K5 and make my way from Daytona Beach FL to Idaho,via the top 4x4 parks an trails in the country,and take 2 months accomplishing it.
Looking for some opions on some MUST DO parks an trails.Have Tellico,Windrock,Avalanche Ranch and the Con on my list.I live pretty close to Moab,so I can do that once I actually get home.
Also,give me your opinion on MUST haves,already have a pretty big list of spare parts,clothing,camping gear.I plan on leaving here in mid-April so i have roughly 6 month an some change to gather up spares,an map out my route.
Since I will be driving the K5,less top and doors the entire way,I am trying to haul pretty much the must haves,and figure if there is something I need along the way,i.e parts i didnt bring ect,I'll just have to drop the ball an spend the cash.
Also would anyone be interested in meeting up and wheeling and or PM'n me there number,once I get the route set in stone,just in case of breaks downs,or having parts overnighted to their home,if the need arises, etc?

Almost forgot..Does anyone know the up coming years,2005,comp schedules for the time frame I plan on heading across?mid April thru June.WOuldnt mind catching a comp or 5 while I am out on the road.

Last edited by EricT; 11-10-2004 at 09:52 PM.
EricT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2004, 09:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
3d Artist for Hire!

Member # 13701
Send a message via AIM to animator Send a message via Yahoo to animator
After Tellico you might consider Hot Springs, AR. Then head over to Clayton Ok, then keep going north up to Poteau and then on to Disney, all on the eastern side of Ok.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Rockport in Illinois. And as you cross the Midwest, be sure to take in any of the hundreds of mud races that'll be taking place

TEX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Extreme Performance

Bear Creek Auto Recyclers

TEX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2004, 09:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 17164
Quote:
Originally Posted by animator
After Tellico you might consider Hot Springs, AR. Then head over to Clayton Ok, then keep going north up to Poteau and then on to Disney, all on the eastern side of Ok.
Forgot to mention.Will be going to school in Tulsa so I'll be 25 minutes away from Disney.Have heard good thing of Hot springs..Thanks
Old 10-20-2004, 02:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 12598
Gray rock in Ala.

88 sammy with yotas and low low gears
blt2rok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2004, 02:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
thhhpptthh!

Member # 10798
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2rok
Gray rock in Ala.
las cruces, NM would be worth the stop, although might be pretty warm that time of year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDA forest service website
It is every American's birthright to use the national forests and grasslands in multiple ways, including outdoor recreation in all its forms.
sceep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2004, 02:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 14529
www.grayrockorv.com

Wish i could take some time and do smething like that. if you come through Alabama look us up.

Later
Dan

Blue Torch FabWorks, Inc.
205-521-7333

"Like" us on Facebook!

BlueTorch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2004, 02:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 26394
I can get a group together and go to Clayton or Poteau with you if you want, we all have built fullsize trucks so it would be fun.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 17164
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofreak2000
I can get a group together and go to Clayton or Poteau with you if you want, we all have built fullsize trucks so it would be fun.
Sounds like a plan BroncF,let me slam it on the list,and mark it on my atlas.We'll see what we can do.Hell thinking about it,Might as well knock out Disney while I am in the state.Do they have an area I can slam down the tent,and or allow animals?Will have a dirty ol PittBull riding shotgun.

Dan,dont know if you recall but I was in your shop about 2years ago.went to lunch with ya.You took me to that choke and puke with those HUGE finger lickin good BBQ samiches.Ended up getting smart an not building the Dodge up.Looks like biz is going AWESOME for you guys.Congrats.Will definelty have to swing thru on my way out west.
P.S.....I was the punk kid with sleeves,if the other info didnt ring a bell
Old 10-20-2004, 05:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8422
Send a message via AIM to inphobic
We run a park a couple of hours north of Disney. Only open on weekends but I'd set you up with free passes and show you around. If you head out I-70 there is a place just a little north of manhattan kansas in randolph, ks. Not major but alot of fun. I'd be game for wheelin with you in all three places..
www.ksrockspark.com
Jake

inphobic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2004, 05:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 8435
Send a message via AIM to rkcrawl
When you come through TN, let me know... would try to go ride Windrock and Tellico with you.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 11963
You really should try and hit Paragon Adventure Park in Hazleton,Pa.

magoo117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2004, 06:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 17164
rkcrawl its awn brutha will put you on my list,an give you a shout when I'll eb there.Will drop you a PM tonight or tomorrow,and we'll keep in touch.My kinda rough plan/idea is to wheel a park/area for a weekend/week an then move on.So if your down with wheeling telli for a weekend,an the next weekend hitting windrock,or 2 days at one an 2 at the next,or whatever..I'm down with anything,and will work around your time table.

Jake,that'd be awesome boss,and definelty plan on me running up to your place as well.I'll keep you both informed on dates and such as time goes on.Thanks ya'll for offering to meet up and the hooks up.Looking forward to it..
Old 10-20-2004, 06:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Vertical Limits

Member # 26443
I am right in Jake's neck of the woods, and have hit Disney twice this year and his park at Kanrocks one, Randolph on I-70 once. I gotta say, I am in for the Kanrocks and Disney, and possibly Poteau. I currently am a student 1.5 hrs north of Disney, so you will be at school semi close to me. plus I just got a 2000 cummins 5 speed dually4x4 to tow the rig and gooseneck. drop me a pm when you get this together and let me know when and where in advance.
edit: and also, btw, if you break down in my area, call me (pm for #) I only run old chevy junk, and don't throw anything away, so if you need assitance, I can hook it up

for the fastest quick release extinguisher mounts available and UTV parts

Last edited by blacksheep10; 10-20-2004 at 06:36 PM.
blacksheep10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2004, 07:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 17164
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep10
I am right in Jake's neck of the woods, and have hit Disney twice this year and his park at Kanrocks one, Randolph on I-70 once. I gotta say, I am in for the Kanrocks and Disney, and possibly Poteau. I currently am a student 1.5 hrs north of Disney, so you will be at school semi close to me. plus I just got a 2000 cummins 5 speed dually4x4 to tow the rig and gooseneck. drop me a pm when you get this together and let me know when and where in advance.
edit: and also, btw, if you break down in my area, call me (pm for #) I only run old chevy junk, and don't throw anything away, so if you need assitance, I can hook it up

BET!!!!!!!!! hell yeah brutha,I will be at Tulsa Welding Academy for 8 months for their Master Cert class.I was suppossed to enroll for the April class,but 3 days before I got out of the navy,i score a job with a hurricane disaster re-roofing crew over in FL,makng some pretty big greenbacks that I'd be a fool to walk away from to go home an sit on my ass for 5 months spending my savings .So now I am looking at the July 25th start date.I'll add you to my list an shoot you a pm here after a bit.Thanks for offering up..
Old 10-20-2004, 10:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 14685
Send a message via AIM to braxton357
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo117
You really should try and hit Paragon Adventure Park in Hazleton,Pa.

:edit: Sounds like an awesome trip too...have fun and keep us all updated.

73 linked 5.8efi Bronco

Last edited by braxton357; 10-20-2004 at 10:26 PM.
braxton357 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2004, 06:31 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 17107
Send a message via AIM to DOUG38S
If you are going to make your way up Rt 81 through VA you should try and make it up to Gore, VA for any of the Big Dogs runs. www.bigdogsoffroad.com
These are usually a couple of days of wheeling, camping. partying good times with good people and good clubs. Trails are tame to ohhh my gawd why did I do this. Anything up through the VA, MD, PA area make sure you sound off. I live right at the junction of 70 and 81 so if you need a hot meal/tools+shop/and a bed you are more than welcome.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:02 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 17164
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceep
las cruces, NM would be worth the stop, although might be pretty warm that time of year.
Sceep,I will be heading right thru there on the rough mapping so far.I planned on stopping in San Angelo,TX and El Paso TX to visit some friends regardless of where ever this trip took me.Looking on the atlas Las Cruces is roughly 30 miles away from hell-paso.Would you be down with meeting up,and showing me around on the trails for a weekend?Thanks...
Old 10-21-2004, 09:08 AM   #19 (permalink)
thhhpptthh!

Member # 10798
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
if yer gonna be in EP anyway then for sure you need to drive up to cruces. I don't know what i'll be dooin that time next year but get ahold of me. I can at least hook you up with a tour guide if i cant meet up.

We've got TONS of stuff between cruces and farmington, you could hit a new trail every day for a month on that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDA forest service website
It is every American's birthright to use the national forests and grasslands in multiple ways, including outdoor recreation in all its forms.
sceep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2004, 09:12 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 17164
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG38S
If you are going to make your way up Rt 81 through VA you should try and make it up to Gore, VA for any of the Big Dogs runs. www.bigdogsoffroad.com
These are usually a couple of days of wheeling, camping. partying good times with good people and good clubs. Trails are tame to ohhh my gawd why did I do this. Anything up through the VA, MD, PA area make sure you sound off. I live right at the junction of 70 and 81 so if you need a hot meal/tools+shop/and a bed you are more than welcome.
Doug,got your local pinpointed on the atlas,and sounds very very tempting.I just havent convinced myself of heading that far north.It would bring me right back into TN though for Windrock and Telli,taking 81 south into 40 coming from your place..let me sit an stew on it for the day,and I'll get back with you,its a 50-50 right now.You happen to know any of the big Dogs jambo dates for next yr?April time frame specificly.
Thanks Doug for offering up your hospitality,thats awesome of you!!!!!!!!
Old 10-21-2004, 09:19 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 17164
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceep
if yer gonna be in EP anyway then for sure you need to drive up to cruces. I don't know what i'll be dooin that time next year but get ahold of me. I can at least hook you up with a tour guide if i cant meet up.

We've got TONS of stuff between cruces and farmington, you could hit a new trail every day for a month on that route.
SWEEEEEEEET.well plan on me hitting you up then boss!!!! Thanks for offering up!!
Old 10-21-2004, 09:30 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 17164
Nothing like post whoring up my own thread,but ya'll know any MUST STOP at places along the way as well?like must stop at Fab shops,chopper shops,museums,landmarks,if I come thru ya'lls area?Rough idea of my route.head out from AL drive up thru Georgia,SC,NCVA up to Dougs place.get back on 81 south,to 40 into TN.head into AR then to OK.from OK to TX,then on to NM,from there its ???????????????????
I plan on taking a week to get from one trail to the other,so will have time to actualy stop in and see some sites.Unlike every other time I have driving cross country for the military,its always been hurrry up an get here,with gas/rest stops and thats it.
I have B.T.F on my list,been there once,and want to swing thru again.Make Dan take me to lunch again at that choke an puke!
Besides BTF,post up some cool shat to see in your state
Old 10-21-2004, 11:27 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 17107
Send a message via AIM to DOUG38S
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricT
Doug,got your local pinpointed on the atlas,and sounds very very tempting.I just havent convinced myself of heading that far north.It would bring me right back into TN though for Windrock and Telli,taking 81 south into 40 coming from your place..let me sit an stew on it for the day,and I'll get back with you,its a 50-50 right now.You happen to know any of the big Dogs jambo dates for next yr?April time frame specificly.
Thanks Doug for offering up your hospitality,thats awesome of you!!!!!!!!

The Big Dogs Ice Breaker is usually the 2nd or 3rd week of April. Everyone seems to make it to this since they have been held up inside from old man winter. There is also crozet, Va home of the mountainjam guys. Check out www.mountainjam4x4.com . The new owners of the land that they once had is pretty wild from what I hear. Man it wouldnt hurt to check out jellico, tennessee if there is a comp there during april also. People there are absolutely fantastic. For the total experience you have to stay at the JELLICO Motel. It was April 24th 25th weekend this past year.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:46 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 17164
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG38S
The Big Dogs Ice Breaker is usually the 2nd or 3rd week of April. Everyone seems to make it to this since they have been held up inside from old man winter. There is also crozet, Va home of the mountainjam guys. Check out www.mountainjam4x4.com . The new owners of the land that they once had is pretty wild from what I hear. Man it wouldnt hurt to check out jellico, tennessee if there is a comp there during april also. People there are absolutely fantastic. For the total experience you have to stay at the JELLICO Motel. It was April 24th 25th weekend this past year.
Jellico is up there opn the list,but due to when I want to be in idaho,I cant be in TN for 3 weekends,so its two parks,two weekends.Maybe I can squeeze one out of the three during the week.Definetly want to catch some comps along the way.Ice breaker weekend sounds good.Will go check out those sites an see whats the deal,and maybe email some members and see if they have some dates picked out for rides.Thanks again Doug...
Old 10-24-2004, 01:10 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 6957
eric can't be much help on what to wheel but if you need to ship something let me know i am home during the day so i can sign for ups or fed ex and if its large(complete engine, rear end, new tub) i can have it deliverd to my work.

ironpig70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in