Advanced fabrication questions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2004, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 4001
Advanced fabrication questions

I'm making some changes to my rig. I want to fab up some new link brackets, etc for the front axle and I want to use thinner material.

When making brackets like the following pic, what material do you use. I realize that most desert racers use chromoly, but in the post I got the pic from, it states that mild steel was used. In looking at my steel suppliers stock list, it looks like all their large sheets (Larger than 14 ga) are only availble in hot rolled. It was my understanding that cold rolled produced stronger material. Do I need to seek out a different supplier to get cold rolled material? I'd prefer to NOT use chromoly since the TIG welder is at my buddy's house and I want to do all the welding at my house. (& we can't TIG very well yet )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scout Dude is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2004, 11:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 3563
I would ASSume that there would be a lot less stress on those spring hangers then a link mount.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
Joel, I believe Air Ride said that it was .120 mild steel. When using the thinner material the dimples are crucial as well as doubling up where any bolts will go. Just a ring the size of a large washer will work.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2004, 12:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 4001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson
Joel, I believe Air Ride said that it was .120 mild steel. When using the thinner material the dimples are crucial as well as doubling up where any bolts will go. Just a ring the size of a large washer will work.
Yeah, I'm aware that you need the dimples...My dies should be here either tomorrow or Monday.

Mostly I'm wondering if the 10ga sheet that I already ahve will be sufficient since it's hot rolled, not cold rolled...

I'm also trying to have Chaz get me some exotic shit if he can...we'll see

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 3239
Send a message via AIM to Brad Send a message via Yahoo to Brad
Steal the TIG and let me practice on it I can do it OK but could be better
Old 10-22-2004, 11:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 4001
TTT...Too much tech for you web-wheelers?

Old 10-22-2004, 11:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 3864
Send a message via AIM to WOLF359
I use both aluminum 1" and 1.5" dies for sheet and up to 1/8th (from www.akfabshop.com), which are excellent.

I also have acess to 1.5" dimple (made by Rocky Mountain Offroad) for thicker materials (up to 1/4")

I use them in my 50 ton press.

Upper plate is 1/8, dimpled with Aluminum dies, lower is 1/4 dimpled with large steel die.

Material for the floor and console is 5052 /.088 Aluminum

WOLF359 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2004, 11:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 11998
man, I'm all for losing weight on your rig, but have any of you calculated your weight to dollar or weight to time ratio for this stuff?
BrettM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2004, 11:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 3864
Send a message via AIM to WOLF359
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettM
man, I'm all for losing weight on your rig, but have any of you calculated your weight to dollar or weight to time ratio for this stuff?
I borrowed the die, and it took 5 minutes.
WOLF359 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2004, 12:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 30502
looks great there wolf.
any pics of the whole rig?
those airshocks worked wonders for me,thanks again!
103"cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2004, 10:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 23452
you can still use the chrome molly materal with your mig ( i am assuming ) just get the right wire if its a concern, 80.000 thousand tensle give or take the grade of chrome molly would be fine. the 70.000 thousand tensle would work just fine too, or if you have a stick welder then get 8018, jason.
420willys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2004, 07:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Moderhater

Member # 16980
haha! those are my rod ends!

gun facts that will blow your mind:

Halogrinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2004, 10:07 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 1889
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettM
I've not messed with dimple dies (yet) but I'm saving 1/3 of a pound a foot with chromo tube.
With the steel pricing going the way it's been lately, shockingly, chromo is only about 20% more expensive for me, than DOM in equal dimensions. Interestingly, for equivalent strength, it's about a cost wash, and the rig ends up lighter. Or for equivalent weight, the rig ends up stronger, but only 20% more expensive... stronger = lasts longer.

But that's really not important, we all know dimple dies are really for bling.

Cold rolled is usually a little stronger and cleaner, but more expensive. It's available in nearly any thickness you want, just have to find a supplier that stocks it if you want it badly enough.
My Ryerson-Tull book lists cold-rolled sheet to 10ga, as does my EMJ book. Just 'cause it's in the book doesn't mean it's on the shelf though. Past 10ga, you're out of "sheet" and into "plate" or "bar" (depending on how much you want).

As far as link brackets go, I'm leery of getting under 3/16" based on twisting bracketry in the past, and a lot more comfortable with 1/4". But I've not spent anywhere near as much time as I'd like to, working on bracket designs.
Scott@Rockstomper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2004, 11:00 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 19372
Send a message via AIM to SlamChops Send a message via Yahoo to SlamChops
so what wall chromo would be as strong as .120 wall DOM? is it any harder to bend (in say, a jd2 or protools)? i'd like to give my supplier a call and see what they can get the chromo for price-wise.

SlamChops is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in