SEMA NEW PRODUCT REALESE*** BFG mud terrains - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2004, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 62
SEMA NEW PRODUCT REALESE*** BFG mud terrains

It looks like BFG may be redesigning the Mud terrains, basicly making it a more street freindly krawler.

From BFG's website:

November 2, 2004 BFGoodrich® Tires Unveils Next-Generation Mud-Terrain® T/AKM Concept Tire.

"While we are evaluating all of our feedback, our goal is, and always will be, to only introduce a new design if it is what our customers want and if it can perform better than the previous version."

Curious how these will compare to actual Krawlers, the tread seems only slightly different, most obviously in the sidwall lugs and the angles on the center lugs. Any one have any more info or comments on these

Last edited by NE-RokToy; 11-05-2004 at 03:14 PM.
NE-RokToy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2004, 02:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5639
interesting....

Kindness doesn't condemn or condone

Just Add Lightness
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2004, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 16313
that would be cool, would fit my application of wheeler and daily driver, my beef with the MT has always been the weak ass sidewalls, and the krawlers arent a good dd, that new tire would be a perfect compromise
Canadian dingo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2004, 02:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 30230
Looks like that tire is already starting to feather(heel/tow wear).
deadandcompany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2004, 03:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 6291
another part which might be applicable:

Quote:
Designed to fit a 22-inch wheel, the Mud-Terrain T/A®KMconcept tire (size: LT335/55R22) addresses the growing trend of larger wheel diameters, both in the original equipment and the replacement tire markets, and features an aggressive, performance-oriented tread pattern that resonates with the tire marketplace.
Press release:
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgap.../11022004A.jsp
morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2004, 03:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheus
another part which might be applicable:

Press release:
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgap.../11022004A.jsp
I think this just has to do with the concept tires which they are showing at SEMA, I posted a picture in This thread

From the press release it sounds like they are totally redesigning the Mud Terrain design. Mainly these two phrases catch my attention "introduce a new design" and "the previous version"
Old 11-05-2004, 04:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Send a message via ICQ to Old Scout
Just say NO to french tires!

BUY MY BOAT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2004, 04:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 24837
i'm willing to bet it'll mostly come in 17,18, and 20" sizes
kyle_22r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2004, 04:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_22r
i'm willing to bet it'll mostly come in 17,18, and 20" sizes
I'd also be willing to be that it will be fawkin expensive that you could spend a few more bucks and get ACTUAL Krawlers.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 24306
those real kick ass.. but if they only come in 17s+ that will be
i'd buy em.. in a 35x15's
Juice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2004, 06:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 62
I think many people seem to be missing the point, these will be replacing the current mud terrain. This means it should be available in all the standard sizes and shouldnt be $400 a tire like Krawlers (yeah yeah everyone says just buddy up with a comp guy and you can get krawler cheaper but try finding comp guys in omaha)

This seems like a great move on BFG's part as everyone and there mom seems to be running MT/R's at least people with smaller tires (which makes up the majority of rigs out there)
Old 11-05-2004, 08:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 10969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian dingo
that would be cool, would fit my application of wheeler and daily driver, my beef with the MT has always been the weak ass sidewalls, and the krawlers arent a good dd, that new tire would be a perfect compromise

Read this again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE-RokToy
It looks like BFG may be redesigning the Mud terrains, basicly making it a more street freindly krawler.

From BFG's website:

November 2, 2004 BFGoodrich® Tires Unveils Next-Generation Mud-Terrain® T/AKM Concept Tire.

"While we are evaluating all of our feedback, our goal is, and always will be, to only introduce a new design if it is what our customers want and if it can perform better than the previous version."

Curious how these will compare to actual Krawlers, the tread seems only slightly different, most obviously in the sidwall lugs and the angles on the center lugs. Any one have any more info or comments on these

I'd bet money they will have the same sidewall construction,same rubber compound and probly even a higher price cuz of the "new" design. Maybe not $400 a tire but they'll be higher than the current BFG muds,I'd bet on it. If they don't change the sidewall construction and rubber compund,I'd say they won't be much different(performance wise)than the current BFG's. Might see a little better performance in a select few cercumstances but I don't see them holding a candle to the real "Krawlers"
Old 11-05-2004, 09:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 34756
I don't DD my FJ40 [that's what my dilapidated fleet is for], but I always drive it to the trail (and hopefully back). So, I'm leery of going to the Krawlers for, say, 2000 mile round trips to Moab.

That concept MT might be just the compromise I'm looking for to step up to a more agressive tread while maintaining highway handling and tire wear longevity. I'd guess the compromise would come with the tread conpound. Harder, therefore less sticky, with the MT, no doubt. But no cold-morning, nylon-cord Krawler thump-thump-thump?

*Edit: Must come in 15" rim size, preferably with the 13.50 width like the 35" Krawlers. I like the flotation.

Last edited by 4x4Poet; 11-06-2004 at 01:22 AM.
4x4Poet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2004, 12:09 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 1515
Send a message via AIM to Po' riggity Send a message via Yahoo to Po' riggity
If they stayed at the current price of BFG muds, Id probably give em a shot.. Although I wasnt real impressed with the sidewalls of the BFG muds Ive seen in action.. I only had one set of em, for a short amount of time... That being said, if they do only come in 17" + sizes.. thats fine with me.. once I get the axles in and the H2 rims goin on..
Scott
Old 11-06-2004, 12:27 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 24099
Send a message via AIM to ZJim
Great, I can run them on my 22s

ZJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2004, 06:43 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 30230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout
Just say NO to french tires!
French??? No, Michelin, Dunlop, and BFG are all on company, but they make different tires in different countries. The BFG KO in a 31x10.5x15 is manufactured in Japan, and I belive the LT265/75/16 is manufactured in the USA, but take a couple different Michelin tires and they will be manufactured in France. I think it comes down to which mold is sold more, and the cost to make it. So manufacturing the tire in France, or Japan, or China. Just saves you money.
deadandcompany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2004, 06:43 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 15049
Ya, depending on the price, I would prolly try em'. I would dig the 39.5x13.5x17 size... I'm sure the to & from trail driving will eat up my new irocs too quickly. We'll just have to wait and see.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:27 AM   #18 (permalink)
The Piratenite

Member # 4
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
I just returned from SEMA and spoke to a very poorly informed booth worker and was told.....

"It is the next generation M/T from BFG and will be rolled out in the larger SUV sizes and then through 05 and 06 it will replace the existing sizes of todays current M/T"
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2004, 07:17 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 30721
We also just got back from SEMA and I talked with Jeff Cummins for a while about these new MT tires- He's been pretty heavily involved with the product development and testing. They just got back from pre-running the Baja 1000 with a set of these tires (37x12.5x17") and he said that they hands-down outperform the existing MT tires at high-speeds on and off-road. That was a big surprise, but a great thing for those of us with DD trucks. He also told me that regardless of the tread-pattern redesign (it's still not finalized), the new MT tires will be available in a full range of popular sizes and that we can expect comparable tread-life (40,000+).
Old 11-06-2004, 07:30 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 28273
Looks like competition for the Nitto Grapler
Old 11-06-2004, 07:34 PM   #21 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 12429
Quote:
Originally Posted by JESSE_at_TLT
We also just got back from SEMA and I talked with Jeff Cummins for a while about these new MT tires- He's been pretty heavily involved with the product development and testing. They just got back from pre-running the Baja 1000 with a set of these tires (37x12.5x17") and he said that they hands-down outperform the existing MT tires at high-speeds on and off-road. That was a big surprise, but a great thing for those of us with DD trucks. He also told me that regardless of the tread-pattern redesign (it's still not finalized), the new MT tires will be available in a full range of popular sizes and that we can expect comparable tread-life (40,000+).
40K miles from a BFG MT!! Prorated for 40k wow.. so should get some new tires for 50% off

Last edited by Todd W; 11-06-2004 at 07:35 PM.
Todd W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2004, 07:38 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 1745
Send a message via AIM to 64rovr
I've seen 40k from a set of MTs, how heavy of a truck were you running them on and for what use? On a 4500lb rig, with religious rotation and proper maintainence of air pressure I pulled them off after 40k in order to go up to bigger Swampers, not because they were completely worn out. Although they were getting there.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:50 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 30721
We get that kind of tread-life out of our BFG MT tires too. On smaller/lightweight trucks though...
Old 11-06-2004, 07:53 PM   #24 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 26857
Send a message via MSN to Fawk Awph
are they really going to be better than the MTR? honestly, you can get the MTR for very little more at any walmart, and as far as i know the MT doesnt come in anthing over a 37 right now anyway (i may be wrong). i loved my mtrs, they were the only tire i could think of that was going to be the best compromise for my DD/trail rig.

Callen
Old 11-06-2004, 08:02 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawk Awph
are they really going to be better than the MTR? honestly, you can get the MTR for very little more at any walmart, and as far as i know the MT doesnt come in anthing over a 37 right now anyway (i may be wrong). i loved my mtrs, they were the only tire i could think of that was going to be the best compromise for my DD/trail rig.

Callen
MT/R's work great in rocks, but if they are wet and muddy don't work worth a damn.

(and thanks camo if your the one who updated the title)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in