How do the alloy axle manu compare (Superior, Warn, Yukon, Dutchman, Moser, etc)? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2004, 08:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 35042
How do the alloy axle manu compare (Superior, Warn, Yukon, Dutchman, Moser, etc)?

How do the alloy axle manu compare (Superior, Warn, Yukon, Dutchman, Moser, etc)? Please post your comments on them and if you broke them, what size tire were you running? Did you break a u-joint and then the shaft or just the shaft etc. I know Superiors are probably the best, but they are really expensive, so how do the others rate? Where are the diff ones made, I know I heard Yukon is India, Moser in Indiana, Superior in S Cal, etc etc.
Troy
bigredjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2004, 09:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 11998
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredjeep1
manu
you're looking for a manu? after this and the "man marriage and jeeps change everything" comment on NAXJA, I'm beginning to wonder about you
BrettM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2004, 09:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 15393
CTM's are the strongest axle shafts and best company, IMHO. They aren't cheap though...

Everything you have listed has been broken, probably on many occasions with all different kinds of vehicles.

Do a search and read through all of the technical garb in the threads, then read Billavista's articles on axle shafts. Along with applying all of that and the amount of money you can spend on them, make your decision.

Old 12-07-2004, 11:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 11249
Has anybody broken a 300M axle yet?
MudzerK5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2004, 11:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 62
I'm curious about the Moser Max axles, but I think everyone got scared off by the old moser shafts
NE-RokToy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2004, 11:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 1700
i can not attest for the others but i ended up going with superiors and ctm's in my gm 60. i narrowed my front and i was breaking inner shafts pretty regular. since i have had my superiors and ctm's in i have competed in 1 comp and had several good runs with no issues. my 60 was my week point and the 1 item i worried about breaking. now i have a lot more confidence in my setup.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 35042
I know Superiors with CTMs are awesome, but how do the other manufactures do compared to them? I see that Dutchman can do front or rear for under $400 for their 4340 alloy shafts.
Troy
Old 12-07-2004, 09:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 14155
Send a message via Yahoo to JJSBADYJ
I have Dutchmans 4340 and I paid somehting like $380. They offered 2 types of 4340 - Imported or Domestic. They were out of Domestic(more expensive) 4340 and had a few Import 4340 in stock. I tried everywhere else and they only company that had 4340 in stock was Superior at $500+ per inner shaft I am not a fan of Import anything but its all I could find that was not going to break the bank. I figure even Import 4340 is still stronger than stock.

JJ
JJSBADYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2004, 10:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 1007
The axles that dutchman sells........

Import = Yukon

Domestic = Superior
Old 12-07-2004, 10:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 10425
Send a message via AIM to skulltoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NE-RokToy
I'm curious about the Moser Max axles, but I think everyone got scared off by the old moser shafts
1st generation Moser Dana 44 + 60 axles 1541 custom alloy forged.

2nd generation Moser Dana 44 + 60 axles 4340 thru hardened oil quenched and tempered.

3rd generation Moser Dana 44 + 60 axles 4140 thru hardened oil quenched and tempered. (MAX Series)

The second and third generation axles are more than 2 times stronger at the ears than the first gen. axles.

The second and third generation axles are very similar in ear strength.

The third generation axle is 5 percent stronger at the spline than the second generation axles.

For example during tests the first gen. axles experienced ear stretch at 10 degrees of spline twist. The second and third gen. axles did not experience any ear stretch until 25 degrees of spline twist. Moser continues to try and improve their axles in all of the performance related fields even if it is just a 5 percent increase. That 5 percent could be the difference between still competing or sitting on the sidelines. Moser has improved significantly from their original design and will continue to further improve.

We competed all of last years UROC season on 1 set of Moser MAX shafts. When we pulled the car apart, the line we painted on the shaft was as straight as the day we put it on. The ears were still as tight as they were when we first installed the CTM's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Team Carnage Crew 2008 XRRA Western Champions
skulltoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2004, 10:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 39153
Have you ran your imports yet?
dirtydury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2004, 04:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 14233
spinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2004, 05:55 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 14155
Send a message via Yahoo to JJSBADYJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydury
Have you ran your imports yet?
I assume you are referring to me? no, not yet. I am stuck at work due to weather and I wont be going home any time soon. When I get home, its time with the family so the axle will have to wait.

Eric - someone else said that very same statement about they were Yukons too. I tried to order Yukon direct but they werent available for my application? I got them home and they look sweet, I hope they work as good as they look.

JJ
JJSBADYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2004, 08:13 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJSBADYJ
Superior at $500+ per inner shaft JJ

i paid just a little more that that per side (meaning inner and outer) at shaffers. they had the best price by far than any other vendor I called.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:28 AM   #15 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 26382
i paid just over $700 for the pair of superior inners, outers, and spicer ujoints for a stock chevy d44 application. i think it was about $150 each for the 31 spline superior rears with studs and bearing for my nine inch.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3123
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudzerK5
Has anybody broken a 300M axle yet?
Yes, Rock Runner Racing broke 3 at our Beatty event

Rich
Thanks to our marketing partners: MAXXIS Tires, Trail Gear, NITTRO Gear and Axle, ARTEC Industries, Branik Motorsports, ASR Recovery Gear, SpiderTrax, Dirt Skins, Metal Cloak, Crown Automotive, SuperChips, PSC Steering, Fox Shocks, Axel Off Road, Currie Enterprises, PCI Race Radios
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUKROVER
4 wheeling sure changes when there is a crowd and cones.
530-417-5333

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

( @ Y @ ) ( * Y * ) ( . Y . )

Big Rich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2004, 12:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 20999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux
The axles that dutchman sells........

Import = Yukon

Domestic = Superior

Never knew that, thats interesting....

I had heard the Dutchmans and superiors were close in quality didnt realize they were the same...

Anyone running the Ox joint? heard that it is pretty competitive with CTM but at less cost? no way to verify this at this time without picking up the phone..... thought i might add that to the mix.

Also i have heard it said that there are a couple of outfits working on some different approaches for strengthening the outer stubs from increasing spline counts and shaft diameter and making custom hubs? anyone with some info on this?

GO UM Montana Griz

"Jeep Lurker"

KEEP REMEMBERING 9/11

Jeep with Rambler motor, SUA,
and some

I miss my

Support Frank the Tank
ddestruel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2004, 01:11 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
The ox is strong but not nearly as strong as a CTM. It may be stronger than Randy's joint, but I'm waiting to hear some "real world" stories on them (randy's). About the only bad thing people can say about them so far is that they are made in India.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2004, 05:25 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 35042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson
The ox is strong but not nearly as strong as a CTM. It may be stronger than Randy's joint, but I'm waiting to hear some "real world" stories on them (randy's). About the only bad thing people can say about them so far is that they are made in India.
What's Randy's U-joint? I see the 1 from Yukon that comes with a rebuild kit to rebuild 1 u-joint and the grease gun. Do you guys have any opinion on Longfields? I know that the alloy manufacturers have warranties on their axles, but only if they are not broken as the result of a u-joint failure, so I'm trying to find the best quality u-joint for the cheapest priced. Do you need alloy u-joints for the axles to be warrantied or will some good Spicer 760's be o.k.?
Old 12-08-2004, 05:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 14059
I was under the impression that Warn wouldn't warranty an axle that had a CTM. Is the same true for the superiors and Yukons?
Old 12-08-2004, 06:27 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 35042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myanarchy
I was under the impression that Warn wouldn't warranty an axle that had a CTM. Is the same true for the superiors and Yukons?
I think I heard that Warns are very hard and somewhat brittle??? Does anyone konw if you can run any of the alloy shafts inner and outer without needed to convert to manual hubs on the rev dana 30?
Old 12-08-2004, 08:07 PM   #22 (permalink)
The Piratenite

Member # 4
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
ok i will let the cat out of the bag. We ( PBB ) are in the proccess of obtaining a set of 60 axles from every manufacture and have built a hydro test machine that will record data as we twist them untill failure. look for the ultimite 60 shaft test comming soon. ( next 60 days )

Last edited by camo; 12-08-2004 at 08:09 PM.
camo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2004, 08:10 PM   #23 (permalink)
TRD

Member # 8286
Camo, can your machine test at different steering angles?
TRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2004, 08:13 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 9026
Send a message via AIM to desertCJ
and will you be testing the strength of the ears as well? I'm guessing that's how you will be fixing the end of the shaft.
desertCJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2004, 08:16 PM   #25 (permalink)
The Piratenite

Member # 4
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
yes we will be testing them with the inner axle , ujoint and stub in various turning angles from straight to full lock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in