just got a new XJ - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2005, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 36181
just got a new heep and have a few questions on tranny/xfer case combos

ok guys, i just got me a deal on a 84' 2 door xj in pretty damn good shape. just to let yall know, this rig is gonna be strictly for off road and trailered to the trails.

this xj has the hp D30 up front and a D35 in the rear (swapped for a D60 pretty soon) with the gm 2.8 L V-6 60-degree.

the only thing wrong with this jeep is that the tranny and xfer case is fawked and gonna have to be replaced, so i have been doing a good bit of searching on here, here lately and have gotten me an idea.....

what im wanting to do is use dual trannys and a decent xfer case, but the only thing im not so sure on, is this damn 60 degree motor.....if this motor happened to blow at any time, all gm 60 degree V-6 will hook up to the same trannys right?

im sort-of wanting to do a med. duty 4 or 5 spd. in front and then a heavy duty 4 spd. w/ granny low behind that....

i know that this combo will be longer than dual xfer cases, but it will be cheaper and have alot more gear choices....

i have the capabillites and machines to machine my own adapter plate for the two trannys to hook up to each other, so what im gonna ask from yall is to recommend two trannys that will work for my situation (and what i can get these trannys out of in a junk yard) so that i wont have to do alot of research on trannys.

so if someone could recommend a good dual tranny and xfer case combo, with the specs ive listed above and would hook up to this motor, that would be great.

edit: since this jeep will be strictly for trail use, will this combo be to long to use in a 101" wheelbase? if so, i might have a few more questions on spring hangers....

Last edited by meinert; 01-07-2005 at 05:15 PM.
meinert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2005, 05:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by meinert
what im wanting to do is use dual trannys and a decent xfer case, but the only thing im not so sure on, is this damn 60 degree motor.....if this motor happened to blow at any time, all gm 60 degree V-6 will hook up to the same trannys right?

edit: since this jeep will be strictly for trail use, will this combo be to long to use in a 101" wheelbase? if so, i might have a few more questions on spring hangers....

It is a GM V-6 as far as I know... and that thing just may happen to blow up at any time, those motors a complete piles and I thin k your tranny options are limited.

As far as dual transmissions, while not a horrible idea it will be long and heavy. You say you have the skill/tools to machine adapters why not do something like an np203 low range box to a dana 300, put this behind a 4.3 V-6 and granny 4 speed.
NE-RokToy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2005, 07:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 26262
maybe your XJ is longer than mine, cause if I shortened my driveshaft a couple feet, I wouldn't have any flex.

There aren't all that many transmissions that can take 4-5 times (first gear depending on tranny) the torque of even that engine. That would be like 500- 600 ft lbs. If you got a reasonable engine, then you would need some kind of super man diesel tranny to take 1200 - 1500 ft lbs.

There are WAY easier, more feasable, more reliable options out there. After all that work, you would be in a way less good place than I am. I only have a 4.0HO, AW4, NV231 with the AA HD SYE. Spend your effort on something that is necessary.

For an XJ to need to be trail only, you will need to do some different things than greatly limiting height and flex.
Dalec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2005, 07:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 24837
dump a 3.1l or 3.4l V6 from an early 90s camaro in that thing, much better motors. if you're feeling like not doing a lot of work you can even use your manifold, dizzy and carburetor on them
kyle_22r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2005, 11:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 36181
ya i knew about the 3.1 and 3.4 liter motors, and the V-6's in the S-10's, so i think i might have a decent amount of parts just in case i needed them.

just to let yall know, the hardest trails i would be riding would be tellico, and other than that, it will be just some little local trails and shit....maybe get to go wheeling in this xj 10 times a year.

i plan on fabing up a long arm kit for the front and then lengthening the wheelbase to approx. 115...maybe 110....(just depends)

it will then have about 4.5-5.5" of lift on it and a good sawzall treatment to the fenders...

the main reason that im thinkin about doing the dual trannys is b/c of gear selection's / easy to replace / and lastly, the coolness factor lmao

but i do believe that a heavy duty tranny in the back, will hold up to one of these smaller V-6's....hell if not, i might get me a little VW diesel or some shit to fab in thier...haha

but anyways...back to the main question.....

does anyone know any tranny combo's off the top of thier heads that MIGHT work for this set up. i will research if yall aint for sure about the combo yall got in mind, but i figure this would be an easy starting place to ask....

figured yall pro's might have a good tranny combo thought up in your heads....if not, guess ill have to do alittle homework.. haha

and about the person talking about a short driveshaft....in my own experience, ive seen TJ's w/ approx. 14"/15" driveshafts with a SYE and CV shaft, and flex like a motha fucker.....i believe as long as i keep it about the 16" range, ill be ok...

plus for the ground clearence, i plan on doing alittle modification to the tranny tunnel i have in mind, which will in the end, be almost a very flat bottom under the xj....

Last edited by meinert; 01-07-2005 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 36181
comeon now...someone has got to have some advice for this newbie
Old 01-08-2005, 12:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 3775
well, search in the yota section, there are a few guys runnin dual yota trannies, search google, you might find something.

i cant belive i just suggested runnin yota shit in a jeep. but i guess i wouldnt do it, to each his own.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 17517
Send a message via AIM to Bmf24 Send a message via MSN to Bmf24 Send a message via Yahoo to Bmf24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffh555
i cant belive i just suggested runnin yota shit in a jeep.
whats wrong with that? i run toy stuff on my wrangler. and gm stuff. and ford stuff. and even some amc stuff...
Old 01-08-2005, 03:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 24837
hell, a lot of jeeps even come with toyota trannies from the factory brand loyalty is for ignorant retards.

i think you can swap an AX15 input shaft into a toyota R151F tranny(or use an R150F and get an adapter plate for t-case) and run toyota duals. only problem there is that you'd have a passenger drop t-case
kyle_22r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2005, 07:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 26262
I don't think the problem is so much brand loyalty, but more a matter of beef. Aisan Warner makes lots of parts for all sorts of cars and trucks. They may offer different transmissions to different customers, based on what the customer wants.
Dalec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2005, 07:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 18675
Send a message via Yahoo to bspencer
id say just run a freakin Klune

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in