Vendors, who's got DIY 17" beadlock kits? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2005, 03:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 6971
Vendors, who's got DIY 17" beadlock kits?

Been searching and all I've found so far is Sky and MRW, who else has this product on the market? If you produce 17" beadlock kits, either post up or PM me a price if you would.

Yea I'm lazy, but hopefully this will help others as well instead of searching through threads, calling, PMing, etc only to find out that the biggest a company makes is 15" kits.

Thanks for your time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

:flipoff2:

"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." R. L. Burnside
kwrangln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2005, 03:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 6054
good question
Ben Holloway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2005, 04:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 24405
Yes a very good question, I'm also looking for some 17" beadlock rings
s10bogger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2005, 04:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 26262
There was a post a few weeks ago that was a write up about some that sound like they have really good ring design.

Seach.

Most small companies that make bead lock kits are able to make them in different sizes than they advertise. They just already made a few ahead of those sizes, and can send them out that day. There is nothing complicated in building a different size, as long as they can cut it from the steel stock they have. Find a design that you like and ask if they can do it in a 17".
Dalec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2005, 04:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 1889
http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/wheels/beadlocks.htm
Scott@Rockstomper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2005, 04:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 6971
Sorry Scott, I checked your site first and overlooked the mention of making 17's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." R. L. Burnside
Old 01-09-2005, 06:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 1889
No worries, it happens more than you'd think. 17's aren't always a stock item, as they're kind of a slow-selling size (not a lot of steel 17" rim selection, for one) but we do make 'em on a regular basis. Got a set of 'em myself.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 6971
To the top for the work week crew.

Think I've got the fiance talked into gettin me a set for my B-day.

Old 01-10-2005, 06:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 22932
Send a message via AIM to sled_dog
http://www.diy4x.com contact Kert I'm sure he can do 17" wheels for you. Got to like he can custom cut your rings for looks.
sled_dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2005, 06:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 6971
OK, I emailed DIY4x.com, waiting on a reply.

Scott, do you do any aluminum outers or would that be a cost prohibitive one off?

Looking at saving some weight over the normal 1/4" inner and outer, steelies with 37's are heavy enough as it is. Sky isnt making the steel inner rings for 17's anymore so that one is out, anyone else? As it stands I'm leaning towards the MRW as the formed rings should make up for the strength lost by using thinner material.

This is driving me nuts, think I've worn out the search engines.

Old 01-10-2005, 06:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 2159
Send a message via ICQ to Supergper Send a message via AIM to Supergper Send a message via MSN to Supergper Send a message via Yahoo to Supergper
www.rocklogic4x4.com has them too, altough they are exactly like Scotts
Old 01-10-2005, 07:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 8981
where are u guys getting your cheap steely 17`s?
2stroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2005, 07:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 12158
I've been selling the MRW steel kits, put them on some factory 17" take offs for a relatively low cost setup. I'll have numbers for you in the AM.
Team #192/4192

Thanks to our partners

Maxxis, Trail-Gear, Yukon Gear, Goatbuilt, Tom Woods Custom Driveshafts, Ruffstuff specialties, Warn Winch, Rokit Enterprises, Viair, Edge Perf., Branik Motorsports, PRP seats, 12V unlimited, Bailie built, Alltech, Raceline
Go2Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2005, 08:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 2159
Send a message via ICQ to Supergper Send a message via AIM to Supergper Send a message via MSN to Supergper Send a message via Yahoo to Supergper
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stroke
where are u guys getting your cheap steely 17`s?
cheap and 17s dont usually go together an option is US Wheels through Summit, although mine were on backorder for about 4 months and they just kept pushing the date back (this is not summits fault, its US Wheels)...I cancelled that order and ordered through Rocklogic 4x4, they were double the price but their supplier had them in stock, or so they were told. Their supplier ended up having 3 out of 4 so I again was waiting for US Wheel...my suggestion is to look into the Cragars Jegs sells, I like the look of them a lot better (they have round holes, versus the "D" windows all the others have) and they are a pretty decent price...If you get the ones from Jegs, let us know how they turn out...if you have to wait forever or if you get them quick...

Last edited by Supergper; 01-10-2005 at 08:53 PM.
Supergper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2005, 09:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 1889
Sorry, no aluminum on the lock kits, inner or outer, in any size. The machine they're run on, doesn't like aluminum, and having them one-off'd by a different shop is crazy-expensive (like $130/ring our cost) so we don't bother.

I seem to recall Summit listing a fairly-cheap 17" steelie, but it's a special-order. 4WP has 'em, usually in-stock, but not so cheap. Wonder if you could beat 4WP up with Summit's price to get the best of both worlds, though...

And if you think the 1/4" steel locks are heavy now... you oughta see the wheels we've got for next year's comp rig... 76 pounds a corner complete, one-off (well, four-off, technically) custom double-lock 17x9's. Yes, that's plus tire (77 a corner worth of tire on there)...
Old 01-10-2005, 10:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 2159
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]

I seem to recall Summit listing a fairly-cheap 17" steelie, but it's a special-order. 4WP has 'em, usually in-stock, but not so cheap. Wonder if you could beat 4WP up with Summit's price to get the best of both worlds, though...

yeah, I can try and dig up the part number but summit had a bare steel 17" US Wheels rim for about $46 a piece...if you dont mind waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and waiting thats a good thought though on seeing if you can get 4WPW to do some price matching
Old 01-10-2005, 10:27 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 2086
i ordered the chrome 17x9 soft 8 series wheels from summit for 81.oo each which was way cheeper than every where else. they did say they were on back order and it would be 3-4 weeks......wouldnt you know it they showed up exactly 4 weeks later....i am happy atleast the guy did not bs me.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:22 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 28043
17" beadlocks

starting in 03' the 1/2 ton dodge wheels are a 17"x 9" with a 5 on 5.5 lug pattern. and the 3/4 ton are a 17"x 9" with an 8 on 6.5 lug pattern. I've been buying these wheels (a full set of 4 )for about $100 from tire shops,individuals,and want ads. From there I've been buying the D.I.Y. kits from Go2Guy and welding them in. You do have to cut out the centers to fit a locking hub.The 17" rings come in orange, black & chrome. If you get the chrome wheels with the chrome rings it makes a great looking wheel for a fairly low cost. I'll try and put a link to some pics. of these wheels. The pic. is at the bottom of the linked page. thanks,chuck

http://community.webshots.com/album/122354340yTMqCm/3

Last edited by Rock King; 01-11-2005 at 07:29 AM.
Rock King is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2005, 05:20 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 2730
Biggest problem I have with beadlocks currently is finding the aluminum. I can laser the steel inners, but I can't justify the weight of a steel outer as well. With the price of aluminum going from 1.16 a pnd to 4.10 it makes the outer rings really spendy. If there was more of a market for 17's to where I could do 100 kits or something I could justify the cost. Or, I have to get about $120 per wheel for the kit, that would be steel inner and aluminum outer....let me know and I'll see what can happen.
SkyMfg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2005, 06:55 PM   #20 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
I seem to recall Summit listing a fairly-cheap 17" steelie,

And if you think the 1/4" steel locks are heavy now... you oughta see the wheels we've got for next year's comp rig... 76 pounds a corner complete, one-off (well, four-off, technically) custom double-lock 17x9's. Yes, that's plus tire (77 a corner worth of tire on there)...
My 71x8's cost 70. Suppossed to take 2-3, I got em in 1 week. Added locks, and 42" Iroks, weighs about 170 a corner. A bit heavy, but that tire isnt even remotely light!

Theyre holding up to everything I can do to em. I guess I could take out 1/2 the bolts to save weight....
Attached Images

Thank you to our loyal customers!

Diamond Axle

Diamond axled buggies take 2 1st's, at Worlds WEROCK!!

Front Range Off-Road Fab with NEW forum!

NEW BUILD FTOY #44

Brian Ellinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2005, 08:21 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 27685
If you're looking for cheap steel 17's, 4wheel parts has their steel wheels in some 17" sizes now as well.
rockdiseased is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in