2004 Survey: Did you snap your winch line? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

View Poll Results: Have you broken a winch rope or cable in 2004?
Steel Cable: Broke 11 11.46%
Steel Cable: Still usable 37 38.54%
Rope: Broke 8 8.33%
Rope: Still Usable (ZERO GNOTS!, this implies it broke) 17 17.71%
Dunno, my winch is in it's box, or on a rig with no go. 23 23.96%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2005, 06:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
2004 Survey: Did you snap your winch line?

This thread is not meant to respark the steel vs. synthetic debate. Just to find out what people have and have they broken their line, at least once. If more, please post up.

Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2005, 06:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 17107
Send a message via AIM to DOUG38S
snapped my 5/16 line on my buggy. Switched up to 3/8's and have had no problems.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 2685
Used my rockstomper 5/16 all last year and did not snap it. I would say I probably used it about 10 times, a couple of them were really hard pulls.

Old 01-14-2005, 08:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 4622
No issues with my rope. Used a good bit this year. (For other people).
Old 01-14-2005, 08:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 40142
Snatch Block

I usually use a snatch block with my 5/16 & it hasn't failed for the 2 years I have had this one.
stevauto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2005, 08:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
MC
Nose to grindstone

Member # 21997
Send a message via Yahoo to MC
Steel Cable: Broke 1 7.69%
Steel Cable: Still usable 5 38.46%
Rope: Broke 1 7.69%
Rope: Still Usable (ZERO GNOTS!, this implies it broke) 3 23.08%
Dunno, my winch is in it's box, or on a rig with no go. 3 23.08 %

What about adding a still good section to the syn rope and not that it broke once

The finest CNC plasma tables
Made in the USA by Bulltear and can be found online at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and at local welding stores
Hypertherm and Thermal Dynamics
We also make parts for AMC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2005, 08:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC
What about adding a still good section to the syn rope and not that it broke once
Because, I'm wondering, roughly of course. How the ropes have performed against the steel cables as far as breakage goes.

So, for the purposes of this survey, I'm only counting breakage. Not, could you fix it again. Why? There has been a few times my life (or life as I know it) has depended on a winch line. (literally) If the line had broke, I would have been fawked. Wouldn't have mattered if Icould have fixed the line at that point.

Last edited by Travis Waldher; 01-14-2005 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 10385
I had to cut about 15' off my steel line after grinding it over a rock, but other than that it is still usable.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 4878
btt for night crew

Old 01-14-2005, 09:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 12695
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG38S
snapped my 5/16 line on my buggy. Switched up to 3/8's and have had no problems.

same here.

Dan

Dan Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2005, 09:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 22837
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamisonWorkshop
No issues with my rope. Used a good bit this year. (For other people).
X2

blacktoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2005, 09:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 26262
There could also be some coloring in the statistics, so don't go straight off the numbers. For instance, maybe more people that use their winch harder decided that they needed synthetic rope more, maybe causing an uneven disturbution in the punishment that they get.

Last edited by Dalec; 01-14-2005 at 10:17 PM. Reason: grammar. I don't care about spelling, but I have to keep some standards on grammar, when I feel like it.
Dalec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2005, 10:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 2102
Several hard pulls on rope no probs.
J Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2005, 10:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 14712
Ok...how about 6 years on cable with countless hard pulls...and still in great shape.
Killerpee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2005, 10:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 9722
I broke a steel cable last year, but it was partially my fault. Someone hooked me up with some free stainless cable from the Navy base here cause they have to change all their cables once every year or two even if they havn't been used. The stuff was brand new. I jumped on it so quick and put it on my winch to replace my rusted and kinked steel line that I had been running for two years. I broke on the first pull the stainless line ever had going up a waterfall that was damn near 8' straight up and wet. It shot 80 feet to the opposite direction. Luckily it didn't come towards me since it broke right at the fairlead, my hood wasn't up either.

Here is the pull

Since it broke right at the fairlead, there wasn't any major backlash to my side:

I later found out that it was a 1/4" cable. I put my old one back on. If I can find a good price on some synthetic cable I might buy some for my front winch, because I need to find some cable for the rear winch I just rebuilt. I don't even want to put the 1/4" on the rear winch cause it broke so easy last year, and my vehicle is a couple hundred pounds heavier with the 42s and one ton axles now.

btw, did anyone see how the synthetic line broke on one fo the vehicles on Top Truck Challenge? Or was it two vehicles? I can't remember.

Last edited by TexasBlake; 01-14-2005 at 10:53 PM.
TexasBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2005, 12:04 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 8944
Broke a steel cable on Fordyce...Snatch block was mia and it just went. Had with ease 70 pulls, mostly winching people out of the mud or the box or drunks that crash near my road Honestly though I think I used it 3 times for personal use. Made alot of off it
Old 01-15-2005, 06:14 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 6971
For a poll like this to be valid, you may have to quantify what exactly is "still usable" when referring to the steel cable. I've seen some people using some scary shit when it comes to steel cable. Broken lays, not strands, but whole lays, half dozen birdcages, etc. I got tired of replacing the cable every few pulls since it inevitably ended up with kinks and birdcaged due to overwraps under load. 3 or more birdcages/serious kinks and it was replacement time. Maybe I'm anal about recovery gear, but I'm thinkin most with steel cable push the limits when it comes to still usable. No way you can get hundreds of pulls without damage unless its in a lab under controlled circumstances or you have a bling bling cable guide, or stop every few feet of a pull to straiten cable. I've replaced plenty of steel cable due to damage BEFORE it broke, synth is cheaper in the long run for this factor alone.

:flipoff2:

"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." R. L. Burnside
kwrangln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2005, 11:10 AM   #18 (permalink)
ASH

Member # 15839
The best thing about rope is the fact that you can re-tie it if it does break. I hate cable for the weight and recoil factor. Ask a winch mfg. and they will tell you after one really hard use you should replace the cable. I have been suprised at how well my rope has held up to abrasion (rocks, sucking front end down).

Andy
ASH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2005, 12:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 8512
Send a message via AIM to bronco75
broke 2nd steel cable in 5 years both in the last year both due to user abuse due to being stuck in bad position and having the only winch 2nd cable still usable only 30' shorter
I plan to go to rope when the cash flow improves
also building new front bumper without and sharp edges to cut cable or rope

OutBack Auto 4WD and Fab
bronco75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2005, 12:20 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 6971
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco75
broke 2nd steel cable in 5 years 2nd cable still usable only 30' shorter
This is exactly what I'm talking about in reguards to defining "still usable" when it comes to steel cable. You've used the cable to the point of complete failure and still feel its safe to use the remainder of the cable in a recovery operation. Sorry, but NO, damage is not limited to the point of the break. Cant afford a replacement, then dont replace what you take off, but you should not keep using it.

:flipoff2:

"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." R. L. Burnside

Last edited by kwrangln; 01-15-2005 at 12:22 PM.
kwrangln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2005, 01:00 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco75
broke 2nd steel cable in 5 years both in the last year both due to user abuse due to being stuck in bad position and having the only winch 2nd cable still usable only 30' shorter
I plan to go to rope when the cash flow improves
also building new front bumper without and sharp edges to cut cable or rope
Be interesting to know what size steel and synthetic that people are breaking. Can't count the number of full size vehicles I've seen with 5/16 on them
Old 01-15-2005, 03:09 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwrangln
This is exactly what I'm talking about in reguards to defining "still usable" when it comes to steel cable. You've used the cable to the point of complete failure and still feel its safe to use the remainder of the cable in a recovery operation. Sorry, but NO, damage is not limited to the point of the break. Cant afford a replacement, then dont replace what you take off, but you should not keep using it.

My intent was still usable, as in one solid piece. No knots.

Beyond that, it's get's hard to quantify. For all the frailties of steel, rope has a pretty good set of their own. Such as fraying, abrasion damage, miildew, etc. So for all intensive purposes, I didn't bother taking that in to account for the survey.

Old 01-15-2005, 05:15 PM   #23 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25458
Been running my steel cable for 6 years now - no worries!!! It has seen a number of hard pulls that required snatch blocks due to stalling too (9000lb)! But - I always tighten the cable straight on the drum after use, so there are no bad kinks in it still, and I keep the jeep inside so no rust on it.
CJeep77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2005, 05:21 PM   #24 (permalink)
Broke Bastard

Member # 1129
I will add that I broke my 5/16 steel cable and it dropped to the ground. 4 times I have broke my cable (misuse) and no recoil.

I just put some cable clamps on there and keep using it.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:50 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 9722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny
I just put some cable clamps on there and keep using it.
x2. I always carry a couple cable clamps in case my winch breaks and I still need to use it on the trail. When I broke mine, it came in handy to have a hacksaw. I didn't have one, but someone at the event had one and it came in handy to clean up the long strands that were left after the breakage.

TexasBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in