Best 4sp Auto Tranny for Ramjet 350/Atlas II - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2002, 12:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 5577
Best 4sp Auto Tranny for Ramjet 350/Atlas II

Hey all,

I'll be upgrading to a Ramjet 350 / ? / Atlas II transfer case for my Jeep YJ in the coming months and I need a 4-speed automatic that'll fit and that'll handle the power...

Right now I'm thinking 700R4, 4L60, 4L60E, something like that...

I just have a few questions:

1. Is there a better option?

2. What would make the best donor vehicle? (I was thinking mid-to late 90s fullsizes (of course) but is there anything else?)

3. Are there any years to AVOID these trannys due to production problems/weaknesses/etc...?

4. Is there anything I might be overlooking here?

Thanks guys,

Jake
Old 02-13-2002, 12:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
'86 & older are the weak ones. Have it rebuilt regardless of year though.

TEX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Extreme Performance

Bear Creek Auto Recyclers

TEX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2002, 12:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 7412
i would stay away from the electronic ones. just ask high 5 how much it has run him till he pulled it out and put in a old turbo 400.

Old 02-13-2002, 12:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 5577
Quote:
Originally posted by TEX
'86 & older are the weak ones. Have it rebuilt regardless of year though.

TEX
Thanks. Definitely going to re-build it.

Quote:
Originally posted by gunracer1
i would stay away from the electronic ones. just ask high 5 how much it has run him till he pulled it out and put in a old turbo 400.
Th400--do they come in overdrive flavor? I thought they were just 3 speeds...?
Old 02-13-2002, 02:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 1700
yeah the th400 is only a 3 speed. i think mine was a computer problem but i got tired of messing with it and pulled it out. the th400 works great thanks mike
Old 02-13-2002, 02:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Quote:
Originally posted by Jakesteramalamajama

Th400--do they come in overdrive flavor? I thought they were just 3 speeds...?
The 4L80E is the OD version of the TH400 (the 4L60E esentially an electronic TH700). Unfortunately, there's no non-electronic version of the 4L80E.

TEX

Thanks to:

Extreme Performance

Old 02-13-2002, 03:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 3694
A properly built 350/400 would be your best bet...simple-vast upgrade parts-easy to find! If $$ is no option the "Lenco" is the king......

I had 800HP going into a 400 "built" and I'm gonna have 500HP into a 350 "built". My daily driver has 400HP into a 350 and it has 45K on it since "build"......no problems......

Too Many Projects not enough Time...:D
Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2002, 05:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 5577
Quote:
Originally posted by Shaker
A properly built 350/400 would be your best bet...simple-vast upgrade parts-easy to find! If $$ is no option the "Lenco" is the king......

I had 800HP going into a 400 "built" and I'm gonna have 500HP into a 350 "built". My daily driver has 400HP into a 350 and it has 45K on it since "build"......no problems......
Yeah, I know the 400/350s are stronger and (according to most people I've talked to) more reliable as well as being dirt cheap, but I gotta have overdrive...

How much are these Lencos you're talking about? Do they come in a 4 speed? Hell, I'm already spending so goddamn much money... I just want to to this right the first time so I don't have to do it twice.

Thanks,
Jake

Jake
Old 02-14-2002, 07:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 5960
Send a message via Yahoo to LAME
700R4.

Wouldn't you need a complete computer to run a 4L60E?

Call FLAP, get a core and have it rebuilt.

You are gonna have to get out of the damn mud and run some rocks once you get the Atlas in
Rock Rash Racing #613, Trail Tampon Spotter
LAME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2002, 08:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 5577
Quote:
Originally posted by Lame
Wouldn't you need a complete computer to run a 4L60E?
This guy talks about using one in his Malibu with a RJ350:

http://chevymalibu.home.att.net/main.htm

so I figured the computer that comes with it maybe has a plug... I really don't know.

Quote:
700R4.

Call FLAP, get a core and have it rebuilt.
Who/What is FLAP?

Quote:
You are gonna have to get out of the damn mud and run some rocks once you get the Atlas in
Deal. However, I'm only running 4.27s and I'm going with the Atlas 3.8, so I probably still won't be HARDCORE enough for you tough guys...

Jake Harsha
Old 02-14-2002, 08:20 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 5960
Quote:

This guy talks about using one in his Malibu with a RJ350:

http://chevymalibu.home.att.net/main.htm

so I figured the computer that comes with it maybe has a plug... I really don't know.

Who/What is FLAP?

Deal. However, I'm only running 4.27s and I'm going with the Atlas 3.8, so I probably still won't be HARDCORE enough for you tough guys...

Jake Harsha
French Lake Auto Parts

4.27's...not too bad I figured you would have kept the 3.07's in for wheel speed in the wet dirt

When do you thin kyou will have all the mods done?
Old 02-14-2002, 08:37 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 5577
Quote:

French Lake Auto Parts
What do they charge for a core? What's a good price for a re-build around here? (in case you haven't noticed I'm new to Autos--I've always been a "I'll shift it my own damn self" kinda guy, but I figure an auto will be a lot kinder to my axles...)

Quote:

4.27's...not too bad I figured you would have kept the 3.07's in for wheel speed in the wet dirt
Not with a 258 and 35s...

Quote:

Quote:
When do you thin kyou will have all the mods done?
Hope to get stuff ordered by early March--I wanna be sure I get my shit straight before I order so I don't get screwed. I'm hoping against hope for another one of those $1500-for-an-Atlas-3.8 mass purchase deals here on the list. If I have to I'll just take it in the ass and pay full price though...

I figure it should be done some time around the end of March/early April, depending on whom I can rope into helping...

Jake
Old 02-14-2002, 08:53 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 5960
Quote:

What do they charge for a core? What's a good price for a re-build around here? (in case you haven't noticed I'm new to Autos--I've always been a "I'll shift it my own damn self" kinda guy, but I figure an auto will be a lot kinder to my axles...)

Not with a 258 and 35s...

Hope to get stuff ordered by early March--I wanna be sure I get my shit straight before I order so I don't get screwed. I'm hoping against hope for another one of those $1500-for-an-Atlas-3.8 mass purchase deals here on the list. If I have to I'll just take it in the ass and pay full price though...

I figure it should be done some time around the end of March/early April, depending on whom I can rope into helping...

Jake
Don't know what a core will cost.

try www.frenchlakeautoparts.com

I *think* a rebuild is $1k +/- locally, although I did pay $1800 for my 4L60E from GM with warranty for my DD, in October.

Sh*t your rig will be done far before mine will, I am gonna be winch bitch all summer

Old 02-14-2002, 09:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Quote:

I *think* a rebuild is $1k +/- locally, although I did pay $1800 for my 4L60E from GM with warranty for my DD, in October.
A grand to rebuild a tranny Had my TH700 redone for $650 a few years back - included removal & reinstallation in the truck. TH350 redone for $350 with a new converter in '97, but I just took 'em the tranny.

TEX

Thanks to:

Extreme Performance

Old 02-14-2002, 09:51 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 62
If its gonna cost you $1000 dollars for a rebuild (which is insane) get a jet performance T-700. It will handl 400+hp and 400+lb/ft, it has lots of upgraded parts and these guys really know what they are doing.
NE-RokToy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2002, 09:54 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 5577
Been searching on google:

I've found a couple places online that will sell you a finished, completely rebuilt 700R4 for around 850-1200 and these are purportedly "racing" trannys that use only the best parts... But then I'd have to pay shipping on top of that, so I don't know...

Here are a couple that I've found so far:

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/Al...ions.htm#700R4

http://www.700r4.com/getpart.asp?cat...issions&id=459

They both look like pretty good outfits... Anybody ever heard of either of them?

Thanks,
Jake
Old 02-14-2002, 09:57 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 5577
Quote:
Sh*t your rig will be done far before mine will, I am gonna be winch bitch all summer
Well perhaps my estimate was a little on the optimistic side...

What are you doing to your rig that's gonna take all summer?
Old 02-14-2002, 09:58 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 5577
Quote:
Originally posted by NE-RokToy
If its gonna cost you $1000 dollars for a rebuild (which is insane) get a jet performance T-700. It will handl 400+hp and 400+lb/ft, it has lots of upgraded parts and these guys really know what they are doing.
How much are those?
Are they 4 speeds or just 3?

Thanks,
Jake
Old 02-14-2002, 04:35 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 3694
Quote:

Yeah, I know the 400/350s are stronger and (according to most people I've talked to) more reliable as well as being dirt cheap, but I gotta have overdrive...

How much are these Lencos you're talking about? Do they come in a 4 speed? Hell, I'm already spending so goddamn much money... I just want to to this right the first time so I don't have to do it twice.

Thanks,
Jake

Jake
They can make you anthing from 2 speed to a 6 speed! We run these in Grave Digger with 1800HP and they survive!!! They can make any gear ratio you want....even overdrive lower than ANY AOD tranny!!! Take a look here http://www.lencoracing.com/

Too Many Projects not enough Time...:D
Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2002, 06:09 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 5577
Quote:
Originally posted by Shaker

They can make you anthing from 2 speed to a 6 speed! We run these in Grave Digger with 1800HP and they survive!!! They can make any gear ratio you want....even overdrive lower than ANY AOD tranny!!! Take a look here http://www.lencoracing.com/
Whoa! Sounds like these are probably a little outta my league, not to mention overkill for my application... Thanks anyhow Shaker.
Old 02-15-2002, 06:24 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 5577
I got a call from a guy at Bowtie Overdrives after work last night. Pretty good customer service considering I just filled out a request for info. on their site yesterday before noon...

Sounds like they're going to want about $1500 delivered to my doorstep for a built-to-the-hilt 700R4 that will handle 750 HP/600 lbs/ft. of torque.

They also have a not-quite-as-heavy-duty version for around 1250 delivered... That doesn't sound like not too bad a deal, considering JET Performance wants $2300 for basically the same thing.

Judging by their website, it looks like they only do hot rods, but the guy was saying that they sell these to Jeepers all the time. I think I'll try another specific post about them and see if anyone else on the list has had any experience with them...

He also said he'd see if he could get me a deal on the Atlas... So if they can do that, I might bite...

Thanks for the information guys. I really appreciate it.

Later,
Jake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in