rig theft deterent - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2005, 02:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 6957
rig theft deterent

i know that there is a forum for this but thought it would get better exposure here. if possible can we leave it here a couple day and then move

anyhow for some reason there is a rash of thefts of rigs going on and for some reason i have had a great product and i thought it may help some of you. first i don't work for the company and i don't recieve anything if you purchase the product. i have had the product in my vehicle for a year and i love it and its simplicity makes it a no brainer.

linky

basically its hidden in my car and i have a "clicker" on my key chain althought i do not need to click it on or off. what it does is to activates the hidden chip so that i may start my vehicle. even with a key if you do not have this "clicker" the vehicle will not start. the only down side i see is if the battery dies but it takes a watch battery and there cheap. my battery has been in for a year and according to the directions it will blink for awhile(cannot remember how long) before the battery dies. just a thought for you guys.

ironpig70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2005, 04:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 12429
There was a how-to online for making your own system like this I forget where though...
Todd W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2005, 04:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 22456
What if I had a flat bed truck what would stop me from stealing your truck with your do-hickey installed?
SJ410Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2005, 05:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 31621
Send a message via AIM to vetteboy79
Most people probably would get in mine and then be too scared to drive it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Flying Pig Racing #512
vetteboy79 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2005, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 15959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd W
There was a how-to online for making your own system like this I forget where though...
http://home.att.net/~email.id/wsb/ht...ome.html-.html
bigjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2005, 05:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 41147
i just have a whole lot of shifters,and if you can figure out which one does what on the first try,you can probably have the thing.after a couple of beers,i have trouble remembering myself.
st ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2005, 06:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 6957
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ410Rocker
What if I had a flat bed truck what would stop me from stealing your truck with your do-hickey installed?

nothing will stop someone bound and determined to steal your rig but 90% of theives do not have one its just another tool that makes a thief find an easier target.

Old 01-26-2005, 06:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 5515
Personally I prefer the BrakeLock
Just turn the key, push the brake pedal, and the vehicle aint moving without a hell of a towtruck!
Old 01-26-2005, 07:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 11070
Send a message via Yahoo to squirriljeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAWLR
Just turn the key, push the brake pedal, and the vehicle aint moving without a hell of a towtruck!
That's pretty cool; a ball valve with a key. For $125 I'll install line locks with a hidden switch.

Tellico Rally Post #267
squirriljeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2005, 08:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 22456
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAWLR
Thats alot better of an idea. Does it work good? How long have you hade it? I would be concerned about it wearing out quickly being under such high pressures.
SJ410Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2005, 11:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 5515
Works just like the lever-locks that everyone used to use for a parking brake. The one advantage it has over line locks is you cant shut it off by disconnecting the battery
Old 01-27-2005, 12:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
savage

Member # 1730
the tow yard at work has been getting at least 1 stolen toyota carcass a week here in sac, it's fawking madness, way more than EVER before. Lock up your junk, it makes me sick seeing all these people lose thier rigs. Definately more than I've ever seen. No matter how crappy you think your stuff is just a little extra effort might keep it in the driveway for another night.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:16 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 6957
how about this

here

like the wheel one makes it hard to tow or drag onto a roll off

Old 01-27-2005, 02:55 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 39184
huge linked chain around the axle with 40lb. lock through a metal hook in the ground with a concrete slab. but seriously, wereever your ignition wiring is, wire it to a central spot, we'll call this the lockbox for now, seal box, and install lock. your truck cant be hotwired because of the lockbox, see? combine that with a million shifters, no guages, and 4 feet of body roll? i thinks its staying were it is, if anyone drove it besides you, they would die for sure.
WA-HCRC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2005, 06:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 14685
Send a message via AIM to braxton357
Man, I really like the idea of a boot. I know that I've seen some cheap ones sold somewhere...or I bet I could even build my own. Not only would that deter theft of vehicle and property (if there's a boot, there are police watching) but will stop some of those BS towings 'round here. hmm..

73 linked 5.8efi Bronco
braxton357 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2005, 11:22 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 9070
Send a message via AIM to jekbrown Send a message via Yahoo to jekbrown
this hightech security system gets my vote...
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jekbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2005, 11:26 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 9070
nuttin like a big ass rottweiler. Much scarier than a pitbull IMO, but maybe thats just me. At any rate, nifty cut off switches, removable steering wheels, removable or complicated shifter systems etc etc etc will stop a rig from being driven away, but there isn't much you can do about some a-hole with a flatbed and winch. IMO, this is where the dog comes in. I get pissed off doing it, but every single time my dogs start barking at night behind my pad, I get my ass out of bed, grab my H&K USP and my E2E light and head out to look around. If you have a garage, that's the best way to keep a rig safe, but baring that a dog and vigilence is the best you can do.

j

Old 01-27-2005, 11:35 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 22721
There is no way to keep somone from stealing your shit if they want it.I remmber a guy here a while back where they stole the tow rig trailer and all.A brake lock means nothing if you are towing it.If they did not want the tires chirping just cut the brake lines at the master cylinder with a pair of dikes or anything.Most rig's are wired up so simple you can just use a couple of wires to start them if needed.You can take the steering wheel with you but a pair of vise grips will solve that problem.See where I am going there is a solution to it all.If you were really worried put a hidden wire to you horn where you haft to disable this when you start the rig otherwise when you don't disable it the horn will stay on anytime there is any power turned on on the buggy.Atleast that would give you a warning before they jerked the horn wire off to stop it.But then again if they use a flatbed or tow truck then you still would never knowUnless you put a sensor on a piece of the upper suspension where it would make a alarm go off when the suspension got so much movement.Because if you drag something that has the wheel's locked up the suspension will move and if it get's rolled up on a flat bed the suspension will move.So there is the key to alarm you that the thieves are in action.You just haft to make it hidden as hell so no one know's it is there.
TheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2005, 11:52 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 9070
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRipper
You can take the steering wheel with you but a pair of vise grips will solve that problem..
dunno about other peeps, but when I pull my wheel there isn't anything left you can grab/turn with visegrips....

at any rate, yeah, the bastard with the trailer/winch is the real problem. You oughta be able to stop a guy from hot wiring your rig, but the guy with the flatbed is a tougher bitch. One thing I was thinking was if you were building a driveway or garage anyway, have some heavy duty steel loops put in the concrete so that they are accessible but below the surface of the rest of the driveway. Then you make a few of those heavy as hell gizmos that they use in parking lots to block off access roads. You see them on college campuses and stuff. Basically a big azz tube of concrete (on the outside) and steel tube (on the inside) that is mounted to the driveway in such a way that no locking mechanism is exposed to torching/cutting etc. Dont even know what the technical term for them is, or who makes them, but it doesnt look like rocket science. Anyway, if you put a couple of these right behind your rig, and the front end right up against the house/garage/carport... it'd be harder to drag up on a flatbed...quietly. I still vote for the pissed off dog. The guy DOES have to get out of his truck and hook up the winch to your rig to pull it up... hard to do when an angry rott is tearing your arm off.

found a place that sells these hightech "bollards". Perimeter Defense Tech. They have a system that will stop a 15,000 truck traveling 50mph, and still function flawlessly. 4x4 thief, go away! scope this vid of them in action...

http://www.perimeterdefensetech.com/index2.htm

j

Last edited by jekbrown; 01-27-2005 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:04 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 11070
Send a message via Yahoo to squirriljeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekbrown
dunno about other peeps, but when I pull my wheel there isn't anything left you can grab/turn with visegrips....

unless you have this..

Why couldn't a theif stick another wheel on it?

Tellico Rally Post #267
squirriljeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2005, 12:18 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 9070
thats what I have. it has a locking cover that goes over the nub of the steering shaft. Even without the cover though, you need the right kind of wheel, not just any joe steering wheel will work. Anyway, its all part of a deterant system. No one security mod is going to be 100% effective... but a barrage of security shit may make the neighbors new SUV look better to a thief...

j

Old 01-27-2005, 02:31 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 29638
Send a message via AIM to MuddyV8YJ
As long as we're going through all this trouble, why not just take a couple wheels off?

Get a trackable GPS chip for your rig and know where it is 24/7. That way you can track down and beat the piss out of the bastard who stole it.
MuddyV8YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2005, 05:31 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 41775
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyV8YJ
As long as we're going through all this trouble, why not just take a couple wheels off?

Get a trackable GPS chip for your rig and know where it is 24/7. That way you can track down and beat the piss out of the bastard who stole it.
Where can we get a trackable GPS chip, I always wanted one!
urbanassault is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2005, 10:12 AM   #24 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 14685
Send a message via AIM to braxton357
Actually, I'm pretty sure that *cough* 4wpw sells them...

73 linked 5.8efi Bronco
braxton357 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2005, 10:24 AM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 12196
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirriljeep
unless you have this..

Why couldn't a theif stick another wheel on it?

Or a pair of vice grips.
Foolish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in