do you like your receiver tube driveshaft? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2002, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 3654
do you like your receiver tube driveshaft?

do you like it or wish you could change it out for a long slip unit? just wondering before i build one. does it make alot of noise? squeak? what do you hate about it? thanks.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 4001
I made one last summer cause my double slip was too short when I lifted it again and I was poor. Worked fine for low speed. I coated the inside of mine with the plastic/rubber tool dip and it is totally quiet. However, I will be replacing it with a long slip as soon as I get a final position on me front axle. I do have 19" of slip right now though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scout Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2002, 10:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 3654
hehehe. 19" of slip, and for how much? i was thinking of using marine grease on it.

Old 02-14-2002, 01:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
I made one run with mine, then called Jess the next day. I like the tool dip idea. Mine vibrated and made noise, but I was running about 40 mph in the snow..... kinda asking for it with all things considered. I've heard that if you run beads on the outside corners of the inner shaft, then grind them down for a tight fit into the outer shaft that they are less noisy.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2002, 06:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 1700
i have them front and rear. the rear does vibrate and make noise when used at speed. when my atlas comes in i will build another round for the rear but i will keep the square shaft on the front. i really like how beefy the square ones are. i would keep it in the rear if it wasn't for the chatter.
Old 02-14-2002, 08:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 4001
Quote:
Originally posted by FULLSIZE
hehehe. 19" of slip, and for how much? i was thinking of using marine grease on it.
I think that I bought 3 ft of each tube. It was around $40-50 total. However, I had a lot left over. (It's always good to have receiver tube lying around ) My front shaft before the latest axle move and 60 install was 34" at rest. I had 6" of compression and 13" of droup. I think that my new set up will more like 8"/11". Still plenty for me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-14-2002, 10:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 3654
building mine sunday. sounds kinda stupid but how'd you put the round peg in the square hole?
Old 02-14-2002, 10:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 4001
Quote:
Originally posted by FULLSIZE
building mine sunday. sounds kinda stupid but how'd you put the round peg in the square hole?
On the smaller inside section, I ground the yoke down on 4 sides until it would slip in (tightly). I also drilled the tube before inserting the yoke. Then, once I got the yoke in, I rosette welded it and also welded the end of the tube where the yoke met.

On the larger one, the yoke was way too small. So I used some 2" od 3/16" wall tube that I had and did the same thing as above to get it to fit. I then cut it down so that it was only as long as the yoke part that slide inside. Then I inserted this into the larger 2" ID tube and welded the ends and rosette welded also. Does this make sense? Let me know is you have any questions.

-SD

Old 02-14-2002, 11:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 150
i made a square one for a spare. I put it on to test it out and haven't taken it off. so now my high-angle driveshaft seems too nice to use. they are pretty darn tuff
4x4runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2002, 01:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 7755
What about drilling and tapping a couple places along the length of it and fitting some zerks. Then you could keep it greased up so it did not vibe.

Ron
Old 02-15-2002, 03:51 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
I made mine exactly the same way that scout dude described, with the exception of using 2x2x.25 instead of 3/16, very small difference.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in