Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum (/forum/)
-   General 4x4 Discussion (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/16-general-4x4-discussion/)
-   -   Has anyone ever revived a burnt engine? (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/32541-has-anyone-ever-revived-burnt-engine.html)

Sundance 02-14-2002 06:50 AM

Has anyone ever revived a burnt engine?

I have salvaged 2 fords that were burnt and I was wondering if anyone has had any sucess reviving burnt motors?
one is a 1997 7.3 Powerstroke and the other is a 1992 5 litre injected Windsor the fires were hot enough to melt alloy.
Obviously they will have to be stripped and all the seals, hoses, alloy bits replaced but is there anything else to consider?

Sundance 02-15-2002 12:02 AM

Anyone? :(

92xj 02-15-2002 02:52 AM

Wouldn't you have to worry about warpage at the extremities? Seems like a fire that hot would cause some distortion. You should be able to measure to see if this is a problem.

CRO 02-15-2002 04:00 AM

Re: Has anyone ever revived a burnt engine?

Quote:

Originally posted by Sundance
I have salvaged 2 fords that were burnt and I was wondering if anyone has had any sucess reviving burnt motors?
one is a 1997 7.3 Powerstroke and the other is a 1992 5 litre injected Windsor the fires were hot enough to melt alloy.
Obviously they will have to be stripped and all the seals, hoses, alloy bits replaced but is there anything else to consider?

If the fire was hot enough to melt aluminum. I would be suspicious of any steel parts that were hardened.. .
sustained high temperatures are just the thing to anneal the hardness from things like valve seats,pushrods,rockers, etc.
I would also be suspect of any alloy bolts (head bolts)

The cast iron was not likely affected but I would send the fuel pump in (on the diesel) because those are super big $$$$$ to repair.........

But you don't want to buy an engine from the parts department one piece at a time...........