Ring gear shaving - D60 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2002, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 3511
Ring gear shaving - D60

I've got a D60 regular rotation that I'm narrowing and shaving for my cj2a. I'd like to shave the chamfer off the ring gear so it has a 90 degree bottom giving me about 1/4". Did a search and came up with this thread:
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...t=ring+shaving

Which indicated to me that it is OK to do this. Now the question - how to do it. I'd prefer a bubba way to shave the gear, not requiring a lathe. Any suggestions?
Old 02-17-2002, 09:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2521
The Bubba way? Wouldn't that be running it in gear, with a friend w/ a Supersoaker full of gear oil aimed at the pinion, holding a file to it?
360 little cuts with a chopsaw?
Sorry, no idea, just playin.. how the hell would you do that without a lathe?
Slagburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2002, 09:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 6971
What exactly is the "bubba" way?? ya gonna break out the 4" angle grinder? I'd say find a lathe, but first I'd set the gears, and get a good pattern. Since they're supposed to pattern in the middle of the ring gear, shaving and then trying to pattern might throw the whole thing out of whack. Then you end up with a nicely shaved .

For what its worth

Ken

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

:flipoff2:

"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." R. L. Burnside
kwrangln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2002, 06:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 3511
Quote:
Originally posted by kwrangln
What exactly is the "bubba" way?? ya gonna break out the 4" angle grinder? I'd say find a lathe, but first I'd set the gears, and get a good pattern. Since they're supposed to pattern in the middle of the ring gear, shaving and then trying to pattern might throw the whole thing out of whack. Then you end up with a nicely shaved .

For what its worth

Ken
Possibly a grinder - if I knew I wouldn't ask As far as the pattern setting, I would assume that if I shaved off .25 off the outside of the gear I could probabally figure out where the center used to be
Old 02-18-2002, 08:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Piratenite

Member # 4
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
i am gonna shave mine on a big 12" disc sander. just grind away slowly so you don't put very much heat into it.

Old 02-18-2002, 09:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 6971
Hmmmm, thinkin of ways to grind, sand, shave evenly without a lathe. Only way I can come up with is setting up the gears, throwin the loaded houseing on the table of a big belt sander and runnign an air ratchet on the pinion while sanding. Should keep it turning at a nice even pace and keep ya from taking off more in one spot than another.

Just letting my mind wander on a lazy day off of work think I may need more coffee.

Ken

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

:flipoff2:

"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." R. L. Burnside
kwrangln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2002, 09:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 6350
Throw the ring gear on a dif (with your old bearings) use a short piece of heavy rubber hose to attach a drill motor to the pinion, rotate the ring gear with the drill , ues a the grinder on the ring gear. THROW AWAY the bearings used , you'll never get the grit out of um.
bronco78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2002, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 800
hmm, build s round piece of steel mounted to a windshield wiper or other geared motor, mount it on your drill press, buy a round grinding bit (the bigger the better I would think, turn it all on and slowly move the ring gear in to grind down the edge while soaking it in appicable cutting fluid?
let me qualify this by saying I've never tried it before but thats how I was planning to do mine.
Old 02-18-2002, 03:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 6494
ya gotta love the low-buck ultra-hack way of getting things done. good luck and let us know how it turns out and what method you use, personally I'll stick to my jig grinder

Easy
[SIZE="4"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I][COLOR="Magenta"]#914 Pampered Chef Buggy[/COLOR][/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"][U][COLOR="Blue"]Companies we're proud to work with[/COLOR][/U][/SIZE]
[COLOR="Blue"]East Coast Gear Supply[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Reid Racing[/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]RCV Performance Axles[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Sienna"]Rose Grinding & MFG[/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]Single Source Welding[/COLOR]

[B][COLOR="Wheat"]Northern member of MUD DEVILS[/COLOR][/B]
EasyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2002, 06:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 6804
If you do it with the thing installled as a couple have said, I would take the pinion gear out first. The abrasives from the grinder/sander will get between the gears and tear them up. Perhaps put in a axle shaft and throw on a wheel and just let someone spin the wheel while you grind.
Just a thought.
Scoutaholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2002, 07:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 3547
I'm all for "avoid the machine shop like the plague" approach too...but be aware....coarse scarring left by grinding, particularly the kind contemplated here, can leve some pretty big stress risers on the surface of the gear, which, in combination with any uncontrolled heating and / or removal of any surface hardening COULD result in a significantly weakened ring gear.

On the other hand...it might make no difference what so ever....just wanted to mention the possibility.

Bill
BillaVista is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2002, 07:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 104
Remove the bearings from the carrier, take it to a local machine shop and tell them how much you want it turned down and they should not charge you more than 20-40 bucks.... Heck its only a 10-20 min. job on a good lathe.

Richard
monsterjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2002, 08:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 3475
I could cut it for you - it may need some light grinding when I done!
Moab Austin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2002, 09:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 5958
ok heres an idea...

Find a drill press where the table spins in a circle (like mine thats how i thought this up !) center your gear in the middle, with the part your cutting on top. Then clamp your angle grinder to somthing nearbye and swing the table into the wheel and spin/rotate the table as you go.

Hey now that i think about, i should write this down, this just might work !

-mike
yagernc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2002, 09:43 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 3511
Quote:
Originally posted by monsterjeep
Remove the bearings from the carrier, take it to a local machine shop and tell them how much you want it turned down and they should not charge you more than 20-40 bucks.... Heck its only a 10-20 min. job on a good lathe.

Richard
I'll check that out. It would be worth $40 not to mess with it. Might have a machinist or 2 in our club too.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2002, 09:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3088
I'm going to disagree w/ the 10-20 min job, I just tried mine today, and I'm gonna say that my 60 ring gear is the hardest material I've ever tried to machine. 58-60 rockwell+interrupted cut=broken tools and fire. I'm gonna say that some sort of abrasive grinding is needed, jig or od grinder being best. And then, still no 10-20 min...BTW, I make my living as a machinist...Mike
Things are moving to fast for waterhorse.
Gozuki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2002, 10:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 3511
Quote:
Originally posted by Gozuki
I'm going to disagree w/ the 10-20 min job, I just tried mine today, and I'm gonna say that my 60 ring gear is the hardest material I've ever tried to machine. 58-60 rockwell+interrupted cut=broken tools and fire. I'm gonna say that some sort of abrasive grinding is needed, jig or od grinder being best. And then, still no 10-20 min...BTW, I make my living as a machinist...Mike
A guy in my club sent me this advice:
>Do it in a lathe. Use a ceramic or ceramet insert. Heavy depth of >cuts with light feeds.

I havn't got the equipment to do this type of work anyway, but maybe it'll help you.
Old 02-18-2002, 10:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3088
Tell him its interupted cutting, and 60 Rc...Cermet is the best of all cutting inserts for this kind of crap, means it will last 2 minutes instead of 40 seconds... This is an all around unfriendly atmosphere for lathe tools, I really think abrasive is the only cost effective way of doing it. Water jet would be the coolest, but we don't have one yet
Old 02-18-2002, 10:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3088
Hey, oldjeep, you had that SF ford 60 right? Sounds like you have exactly the same game plan as I do with mine. Check out the post on the suzuki section for my pics on shaving the 60...

Last edited by Gozuki; 02-18-2002 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:23 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 6494
Finding someone with an OD grinder that can handle a 9.75" swing is gonna be difficult. Having it done on a jig grinder is gonna be expensive, it took me 6 hrs with the coarsest wheel we've got. Wire EDM would be the best, but ours was tied up when I was doing my gear. I had a couple guys tell me to do it on the lathe, but they broke a few inserts. That didn't sound like a good alternative to me. The stress risers is something to think about, but I don't think it'll be a concern. If you do the belt sander method, just take breaks every few minutes to let the thing cool down, hell you might have to change belts that often. It'd be funny if you had to spend $80 on belts and not have it perfect when you could've spent a little more and had it done right.

Easy
[SIZE="4"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I][COLOR="Magenta"]#914 Pampered Chef Buggy[/COLOR][/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"][U][COLOR="Blue"]Companies we're proud to work with[/COLOR][/U][/SIZE]
[COLOR="Blue"]East Coast Gear Supply[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Reid Racing[/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]RCV Performance Axles[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Sienna"]Rose Grinding & MFG[/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]Single Source Welding[/COLOR]

[B][COLOR="Wheat"]Northern member of MUD DEVILS[/COLOR][/B]
EasyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2002, 04:38 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 1375
i was experimenting at work and found a belt sander really took off the material fast and easy, (i use a stone tool to blend knicks in gears all the time, i'd do that afterwords on all edges also)

i think bubba could do it while still in the housing using a hand held belt sander and rotating the gear......BUT you would then need to remove everything and change all the bearings and clean it up like new

and i do think using a small stone in a die grinder to "relieve" all the corners and edges might be some good insurance .......

3/4tonYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2002, 09:51 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 3511
Well, I've got a drum sander attachment on my drill press, so maybe tonight I'll try messing around with the 3.54 ring I have - no use for it anyway.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in