Pirate 4x4 banner

fully hydro double ended ram ????

4K views 62 replies 25 participants last post by  Sam 
#1 ·
gonna convert to full hydo steering and i just got my char-lyn orbit valve from Howe performance. just wondering if anybody has a good lead on double ended 2.5 x 8" rams?

if so are you using this ram? do you like it? how did you mount it? and how much $ was it?

#4 ·
This month's issue of Petersen's 4 Wheel and OffRoad has a writeup on Mark Hanson's (part of the Wagoner Machine Shop crew) "Toyota." There is a real nice shot of how me mounted the same type of cylinder to his front end ... very slick.

Also, e-mail info@wagonermachine.com <info@wagonermachine.com> . Whomever answers their e-mail there has been awesome about getting back to me with prompt and precise answers to some questions that I had on their rigs. That person could surely tell ya'.

cmk

#6 ·
I was just talking to Jason at Tri-County Gear about this very thing. He just did that setup on his rig and has some great tips on setting up the ram and conecting rods.

Give him a call, 909-623-3373

#10 ·
camo said:

unless i am missing something they don't have double ended cylinders
Sometimes I found they have stuff that isn't in thier catalogs, or on thier site. Can't hurt to ask them. Might have to get a part number from Chief or another mfg. that they carry.

#12 ·
Parker (800) 272-7537
The best stuff, they custom make it in 4 days, cost about $650 (double ended rams are ridiculously priced)

I heard that Howe (619) 561-7764 was making them for less.

I use a Parker 2'' by 8'' d.e. ram for the rear with a 1-3/8'' shaft.
It's very quick but stalls out too fast, not enough fluid volume.

The front has a d.e. ram from Avalanch Eng. ( don't know where they get it) it is also 2'' by 8'' but it only has a 1-1/4 shaft. The smaller shaft means more oil volume and unbelievable more power. Just something to think about.

Northern tool does not sell d.e. rams, too bad.
:smokin:

#14 ·
dirtrod said:

Just offering a opinion.
Try Baum hydraulics 800-228-9288 or surplus center 800-488-3407
ok i will bite how is their 2x more things to go wrong? because it has one more seal that a standard ram? :rolleyes: and twice the weight ? i guess i need enlightend because for the life of me i don't see how that is possible. please do us all a favor and add some legit tech info so we can all understand what you seem to know.

#15 ·
You got me, I haven't got any specs. on on them, and all I can go by is the setups I've seen... they looked awkward, and I don't see where they offer a advantage.
Maybe there are some better looking setups out there.
What makes them better than a single ended ?

#16 ·
dirtrod said:
You got me, I haven't got any specs. on on them, and all I can go by is the setups I've seen... they looked awkward, and I don't see where they offer a advantage.
Maybe there are some better looking setups out there.
What makes them better than a single ended ?
I can tell ya, and this is not my opinion. Its fact based experience.

Its gives a much more stable feel in the wheel

It allows better mounting options

It allows you to place it "directly" in line with your tie rod and with the right rod end link set up, it doesnt need to be parallel with the axle. Just like a rack and pinion set up.

Double pistons RULE!:flipoff2:

#17 ·
I called Wagoner.... they want $695 for the double ended ram thats on John's CJ8 or on Mark's Toyota. All the guys from Wagoner really know what they're talking about.. and they're REALLY REALLY helpful on the phone. Try asking for Casey.. great guy to deal with... they're building my hydraulic steering for me.. I went with 2 seperate rams... but I'm considering having them change it to one double ram... seems like it'd actually be less to screw up... at least my opinion.

#18 ·
i currently have a Howe performance double ended ram on order and will probally just stick with that. they are pretty spendy items at 500 buck each but i guess thats what it's gonna cost. considering he makes the ram specifically for a rock crawler and has figured out all the fluid flows and sizes needed to work for crawling as well as freeway speeds i will just have to get over it.

#20 ·
Camo - I PMd you earlier about it.

If you want a good double ended ram that has worked for Ant and I off-road on a Dana 60 and Toyota axle, then you could try one from Haldor. He is up in iceland and makes them for all the icelandic racers. I contacted him a long time ago because I was having the same locating and cost issues that everyone else is running into. He hooked me up with a great price out ther door with ram, rod ends, orbital valve, steering column, and metric to american hydraulic line adpaters. I am now drawing a blank at the total cost, but I want to believe around $633 delivered.... from ICELAND!!

Any way you choose is cool, but this is another option. It has been working great for Ant and I. The service from Haldor was great. All I had to do was tell him the stroke, and how many turns lock to lock I wanted..... oh yeah, and my Visa card #.

Email him at Haldor@Landvelar.is

-Sam

#21 ·
I'm not a big fan of the doubled ended rams...plus they're really expensive I thought?

What I'm considering doing on mine is using two single sided rams cross connected. This would get rid of the weird steering...like 3 turns to the right and 5 to the left. two rams together would make it the same throughout.

CJ

#22 ·
CJ Lagos said:
I'm not a big fan of the doubled ended rams...plus they're really expensive I thought?

What I'm considering doing on mine is using two single sided rams cross connected. This would get rid of the weird steering...like 3 turns to the right and 5 to the left. two rams together would make it the same throughout.

CJ
Double ended ram:
simple, elegant and expensive, no tie rod.

Single ended ram:
Using one ram has a biasing problem, using two rams takes more room and plumbing.
Less expensive but single ended rams need a tie rod.
:smokin:

#23 ·
Didn't look in to this myself, but a good friend did (will talk to him tommorow) He found a bunch of double ended rams, found on almost all backhoes ect. He got priced around $160 with out the TREs. Please note I have no idea where they are from or there size, I will post once I hear back. Hell I might be way off. Give me 24 hrs.

#24 ·
$orry I said anything...

Oh my ! Thats plenty of money for a steering cylinder. I can gaurantee that I haven't seen one of those, must be sweet, and
I hope it works out. Is this going on a DD or something ?
I get about 3 turns lock to lock, and haven't noticed the bias at all while driving. The cyl. is right behind/above the axle and uses just over 4" of total stroke, so it's a real compact and fast. I added a manual cushion in the return side for better road manners.
The only screwy handling I notice comes from the lack of return to center, and the caster I've added to compensate... it causes the spindles to make a more pronounced up/down swing as it goes from lock to lock.
Well, like I said, I hope it works out...

#25 ·
if your running hydro assist you won't have an uneven number of turnd to one side versus the other, if anything all you'll notice is less assist the one direction, or a slightly slower response. Of course if you have more than enough power the one way, and way more than enough the other, will you only notice that one side is just more than enough??? Where the double ended cylinders are good is in full hydraulic steering, because of the rod on both sides of the piston they have equal displacement, and therefore have equal turns, and equal force to both sides.

#26 ·
If you want a good double ended ram that has worked for Ant and I off-road on a Dana 60 and Toyota axle, then you could try one from Haldor. He is up in iceland and makes them for all the icelandic racers. I contacted him a long time ago because I was having the same locating and cost issues that everyone else is running into. He hooked me up with a great price out ther door with ram, rod ends, orbital valve, steering column, and metric to american hydraulic line adpaters. I am now drawing a blank at the total cost, but I want to believe around $633 delivered.... from ICELAND!!

i tried his e-mail addresdoes not work, know any other way to get in touch with him

really interested

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.