Crazy Internal Beadlock redneckstlye UPDATED - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2005, 03:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Visa Master

Member # 8649
Crazy Internal Beadlock redneckstlye UPDATED

39.5x15.50-15 Super Swamper TSL

15x8" Reverse drop 2" BS rockstomper wheels

DIY LongLocks (never leaked and hold up to a beating)

Problem is the reverse drop wheels loose inside beads so easily at low psi...I found a solution to MY problems.

It worked, no leaks, easy to do (for a tire tech).

Will post pictures later tonight, and a teaser soon.

----
Pics loaded.

Basically I mount a 5.00-15 implement tire inside of my 39.5.

A hole is drilled 180' from your original

A tube is placed inside of the 5-15.

The tube is left deflated when you desire to air up the outside tire, when the desired pressure is reached you then inflate the 5-15's tube to 30+psi, now the beads/sidewall of the 5-15 are smashing with 30+psi against your outside tires beads as it tries to seat itself.

A pneumatic bead breaker, a hydro bead breaker, slamming bar, and good old hammer could force the beads down, but once pressure was released they instantly sprung back.

Even with the outside tire at 0psi the beads could not be moved more than an inch or so inward.

Any questions go ahead and ask but the thing works, monday I will mount it on the truck and set it down with 0psi in the tire to see how the inner diameter will affect tire flex and overall "flat" height.

**Fixed broken photos and links**

Last edited by Mutt; 09-24-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2005, 03:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6340
This wasn't a teaser?

Marc

In what appears to have been an understatement, the plant operator described the situation at the Number 4 reactor as "not so good."

Love and kisses, Zaphod..
ItsaCJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2005, 04:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 26210
Send a message via AIM to GoingOffRoading
evil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a Lincoln 135t for sale... PM me for details
GoingOffRoading is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2005, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Visa Master

Member # 8649
Your standard swamper on bead locks.

---------------------------------

Slightly modified tread

That is supposed to do what? spread 8" wide? See the standard lock ring, reversed center wheel, and the tire inside the tire (just sidewalls for simulation, the upper bead will seat on the wheel, BUT the lower bead...

The lower bead is occupied by the swamper, so now the little tire is just pushing against the bead TRYING to always bead up but it just rests on the lip, with the tube pushing it 8" wide, when pressure is relieved it squeezes back to its normal size, I will take a photo later in the week of the little tire inflated on the wheel with the simulated beads.

Are you sure it's gonna fit? Its only supposed to measure 25" tall, but when you squeeze it wider it shrinks ALOT.

Attached Images

Old 03-26-2005, 04:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Visa Master

Member # 8649
I'll be, it does fit with minimal cussing, just slipped right in with plenty of lube .

------------------------

Standard tubes dont usually have a "wet" stem, so i have to patch one on to it, I need it because I have to bolt it to the wheel, an o-ring is placed over the stem before insertion into the wheel and i believe it was a 5/8" hole I drilled for the stem, another washer was spaced on top of the wheel before the regular stem washer and nut were used, this is done to ensure the tube is drawn tight to the wheel so when you are airing up the swamper, your "muttlock" won't allow air to leak from the new hole.

------------------------

The little sucker aired up inside of the swamper.

------------------------
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2005, 05:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 40928
Send a message via AIM to wilf
so you are saying that the little tire with the tube in it will spread wide enough to push on both beads inside the tire?

"anybody can drive a jeep but it takes a real man to cut one up"
wilf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2005, 07:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 19892
Did you balance this little nightmare?
BlueMoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2005, 08:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Visa Master

Member # 8649
WILF, as you see in the last picture it spread out just fine but in my instance it only needs to hold ONE bead...

BLUEMOOSE...Balance? Why the hell would I bother to balance anything with interco stamped on the side, a larger diameter than 36", an 24bolts holding on a steel ring that was more or less eyeball centered? I have 35" all terrains I drive around on, these are OFF-ROAD ONLY, I've got co2 and an impact, it takes all of 5mins to swap tires out.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 40928
can you give me the dimensions off the little tire you put in the swamper. i see that its like an implement tire or something like that. i will probably try this looks like a good idea. Just a thought but what if it lets your swamper spin on the rim? i am not sayin it will but if it did would it not spin your little tire also which would tear the valve stem off?

Old 03-26-2005, 09:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Web Wheeler For Hire

Member # 26999
Step away from the crack pipe!

Guess it's a run-flat too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Eagle-Mark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2005, 10:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Visa Master

Member # 8649
WILF, how the hell is the tire going to spin on the wheel, do you not understand how a beadlock works?

EAGLE, hey it could work as such, why not!

Its 25" O.D. 5.0 width (all on a 3" wheel recommendation) weighs 14lbs, is 4ply and holds ~1000lbs @ 36psi
Old 03-26-2005, 10:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 40928
my bad what i meant was what if ur wheel was not a beadlock just a regular rim and u used this system on there could that happen u think?

Old 03-26-2005, 11:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 20309
Send a message via Yahoo to psychotoy
Why the hell would I bother to balance anything with interco stamped on the side

AMEN
Toy/Zuk buggy-4linked rear, 3 link front fox air shox, 37" krawlers on 17" sky alum. beadlocks, 16v 1.6 auto to kick case mated to d300 twin sticked toy e-lockers, elec. line locks, cutting brakes, and a dumb Mexican behind da wheel
psychotoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2005, 11:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 10818
Send a message via AIM to TNScrambler
Your 5-15 seems to be working for your 8in. rim, but what about a 10in. wide rim? So, your weld on beadlock kit is welded to the outside, so that means the inner tire is actually streatching out the full 8in. or so, where as in a normal non-beadlocked wheel the inner tire would stretch roughly 9in. wide (on a 10in. wide rim) inbetween beads? I've got a set of 10in. wide wheels with reverse centers, so I'm just thinking aloud.

Justin

Last edited by TNScrambler; 03-26-2005 at 11:50 PM. Reason: correction
TNScrambler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2005, 06:42 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 31642
looks like the same principal as these internal beadlock.

http://www.staunproducts.com/beadlock.php

no affilliation with them...
Poley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2005, 08:12 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 39794
home made bead locker

Mutt, Forget what the critics say : I like it!

Daan
Daan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2005, 10:17 AM   #17 (permalink)
Visa Master

Member # 8649
TNScrambler, well as soon as I find a 10" wide wheel laying around I'll give it a try, but they make VARIOUS implement tires so finding one with the correct width is easy.

They even offer them in a 16" variety, the problem lies in the 16.5's because i've yet to find anything smaller than an 8.75x16.5 imp and it measures around 30" tall. THe problem with that (i think) is if its too tall on the inside it will hurt the tires off-road performance by not allowing it to fully wrap around an obstacle, that's why i'm gonna test my first out monday @ work.

I'm also going to take in another 8" wheel and show you how wide it will go and how short it gets, I orderd more of the 5-15's so it will be just a matter of days before testing.

Oh, and I figure for the normal person, the tire can cost around 35-50$ (depending on brand) a tube goes for around $10 and the wet stem repair is around $5, then I have the cost of a unibit to drill the hole in the wheel. Thing is, finding a tech in your area crazy and careful enough to do it, because there is a huge risk of pinching the tube when you are mounting up the little donut on the reverse drop wheels.

As for WILF, I figure if the tire is inside of a non-beadlock wheel and you have 30+ psi pushing against the beads it is highly unlikely it will spin....
Old 03-27-2005, 11:44 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 10736
Mutt, i think this is beyond redneck and is very clever.
masonmachines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2005, 01:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Visa Master

Member # 8649
Think I figured out how you can mount it even easier....

Since a reverse drop wheel is supposed to come of from the back, the next swamper i haul in I will just break down the back bead, drill my hole, then dismount the back bead (leaving the front bolted down), stretch the tire out, and then do the process from the back side, i think it will be much easier this way IMHO...
Old 03-27-2005, 04:09 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 11998
let me just make this very very clear;

is the small tire stretching the full 8"? and therefore would this work well without having an outer beadlock like you do?
BrettM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2005, 04:11 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 22721
Next we will see a 40 series rice burner tire inside a swamper..lol..If I was going to go through that trouble I would atleast make sure it was a double beadlock by keeping both sides of the tire on the rim at the bead.And yes I am double beadlocked.
TheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2005, 04:27 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 191
nice post.......... but................ this idea has been occurring for over 40 years that I know of.......... alot of old desert-hounds used to do this........

it als provided a way to still get home if you punctured your outer tire.......

still a neat/low-buck idea.............. also an oldie: guys using two 4-speed

trannies inline for more reduction.......... (4x4-trans)=16 speed possibilities.

--Sherpa

SHERPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2005, 04:37 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 2497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutt
I'll be, it does fit with minimal cussing, just slipped right in with plenty of lube
Easier way might be to use the hummer runflat approach: 2" ratchet strap around the diameter of the tire, start ratcheting until you have a horshoe shape, and then slip[ it inside the tire. Be CAREFUL when you release the ratchet strap.

Works very well on the hummer rubber runflats.

If you didnt buy your 1'st gen 4runner new, then [B][I]YOU[/I][/B] are a newbie![/SIZE]
Alabamatoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2005, 05:55 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 10695
Send a message via AIM to yager
may be an old trick, but at least he's posting pics..

- 3800 v6 Supercharger, Toy axles etc..

Stroke - Coumadin (warfarin) - INR - Heart Valve - Ask me (true story)
yager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2005, 06:54 PM   #25 (permalink)
Visa Master

Member # 8649
39.5's, 0psi and the inner beads didn't pull like they normally would have doing this, at one point i was running on the inside sidewall instead of the tread when I backed up and it folded over.

I'll slap the other 3 together and we'll see how trail testing holds up, if anything I just have 1 hole in each wheel to stick another valve stem in
Attached Images

Last edited by Mutt; 09-24-2014 at 08:14 AM.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in