Pirate 4x4 banner

shackle fastener question...

352 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  jekbrown 
#1 · (Edited)
Im not a materials guy or engineer so I need some clarification from you gurus that are. Basically, I'm looking at the way leaf spring fasteners withstand shear. I was looking at my K5s front spring connection which uses a 9/16" SAE grade 8 bolt which, on one end, is loaded on the threads. As far as I know, shear strength is a function of material tensile strength and the cross sectional area of the fastener (pi * r^2 * 150000 for SAE gr 8). Using the 9/16" nominal size and that formula, I get 37276 pounds... but using the root diameter in the threads only 24304 pounds. Two questions...

1) Is this the proper way to calculate the shear strength of a fastener loaded in this way?

2) in theory, if you used a spacer or washer or something (so the nut could be torqued properly where the bolt still has threads...) and a longer bolt, set up so that the bolt was loaded on its shank (approx 9/16") from the bolt head all the way through the hanger, spring eye, and the other side of the hanger... would it be a stronger connection than if you left it loaded on the threads as it came from the factory? Common sense tells me that it would... but I'd like to know what the engys think...

j

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.