rollover checklist - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2002, 02:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 8843
rollover checklist

I thought maybe we could come up with a checklist to follow when laying a truck on it's side or over on the trail. Unfortunatly my trucks are no strangers to being on their side but I worry that I don't always check everything that i need to afterwards. Anyone have things for the checklist?

-Steve
offroadr35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2002, 05:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2463
Experience talking here. This is all Toyota related, so I don't know how much you'd need for a Heep, etc., but here goes.

Gear oil, at least a gallon. Don't forget the quart container with the tip to fill your diffs, tranny, etc. that people usually leave at home. Especially the tranny and dual cases.

Motor oil, at least 3 quarts. To fill up that now empty crankcase that will burn oil for about an hour after you finally get it running.

A new set of plugs. Might as well pull the old ones and put in the new ones after you put it past 90 degrees. You were going to do this to keep it from hydrolocking anyway, might as well throw in a set of fresh plugs. A cheap $1 swapmeet wire brush will keep the fresh plugs coming if it fouls up again.

Water, in case the radiator leaked out stuff. Also the battery. I run an Optima, so this isn't a worry anymore. I suggest you do the same if flops and rollovers are in your future.

This is all I needed from my last 4 wheel in the air flop, but it varies. I keep 5 quarts of oil, two gallons of 80W90 gear oil, a quart of PS fluid, WD40, a tub of grease, and a couple of gallons of water with me every trip. I never know what I may need or someone else. Don't be afraid to help others with what you've got, it's good karma.

Pat
pmurf1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2002, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mo
Everyday is Tuesday.

Member # 47
Everything, and everyone, needs to be strapped down. And that doesn't mean wedged between the back of the seat and the something else.

I'm sure none of us want our toolbox, or box of spare parts to crack you (or your passenger) on the noggin.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2002, 05:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Piratenite

Member # 4
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
10-4 MO.

it really is so simple but i see people ignore a very simple rule every day i have ever been wheeling.

STRAP ABSOULTLY EVERYTHING DOWN SECURLY.

other than that it is a good idea to make sure there are no sharp edges on the interior of your rig for people to tear on. that and having a save place for people to hold on during a crucial move is important. can't tell you how many time i have had to tell my passanager to remove thier hands from the top of the cage.

Old 02-24-2002, 06:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 8843
i'm not so much interested in what to do to be safe in a rollover...i hope we all know that. Of more interest to me is how to make sure the truck is ok after the roll. I got the Bronco on its side this weekend but it wasn't there for more than a minute before we got it back over, started it up and kept going.

-Steve
Old 02-24-2002, 06:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 9726
How important is it to get back upright quickly? Is it worth taking a little more body damage to go ahead and flip it back fast, or can you afford to take an extra 20-30 minutes to do a more careful job?

Also, if you lay it over and the motor's still running (assuming you think you can get it back on its feet pretty quick), is it better to leave the motor running or turn it off?
92xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2002, 07:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 2429
Quote:
Originally posted by camo
10-4 MO.

it really is so simple but i see people ignore a very simple rule every day i have ever been wheeling.

STRAP ABSOULTLY EVERYTHING DOWN SECURLY.

other than that it is a good idea to make sure there are no sharp edges on the interior of your rig for people to tear on. that and having a save place for people to hold on during a crucial move is important. can't tell you how many time i have had to tell my passanager to remove thier hands from the top of the cage.
HAHAHA Are ya getting this Todd?

I know that EVERYONE carries a fire extinguisher but make sure it can be accessed when the truck is on either side or its lid. which might mean carrying two of them.

Oh yeah, STRAP 'EM DOWN!!!

I beat the shit out of my truck for lack of performance.[/COLOR] [/FONT]
Ramstein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2002, 07:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 4224
You just rolled over and now you are concerned about body damage... Hmmm
Almost every time I roll the body gets torqued pretty hard anyway... You should Shut Off the Engine as soon as you can reach the key.

I haven't ever been 4 wheels up, and I've never had to do anything but start it again.
If the starter can't crank it like it should, it could have oil in a cylinder (or ? cyls. ), and will need to be cleared out before you can start it...pull the plugs, if they have oil on them, crank the engine to pump some oil out and then clean the plugs with gas. Other than checking the battery, brake fluid, strg. fluid, oil, radiator, auto trans and fan belts and Throttle RETURN Springs (long story) ...everything should be good.
If it cranks but won't start it could be flooded..hold it wide open and crank it a while to clear it out.

I've hit so hard before that the clutch pedal moved 6" and wouldn't work , but things like that are hard to miss.

Last edited by dirtrod; 02-24-2002 at 08:02 PM.
dirtrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2002, 07:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 2429
Quote:
Originally posted by 92xj
How important is it to get back upright quickly? Is it worth taking a little more body damage to go ahead and flip it back fast, or can you afford to take an extra 20-30 minutes to do a more careful job?

Also, if you lay it over and the motor's still running (assuming you think you can get it back on its feet pretty quick), is it better to leave the motor running or turn it off?
WHATWHATWHAT?!?!?!?

If it can safely be flipped back over fast, then do it asap before all the fluids end up all over the ground and make sure you clean up any fluids before leaving.

LOL, if the engine is still running and the rig is on its side or top, it wont be running for long. Unless you have a bunch of guys standing right there and can get it right back over in a few seconds, (but they will be to busy getting pitures and checking out the body damage to help) so just shut it down. LMAO!!!

Last edited by Ramstein; 02-24-2002 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-24-2002, 08:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mo
Everyday is Tuesday.

Member # 47
Quote:
Originally posted by Ramstein

I know that EVERYONE carries a fire extinguisher but make sure it can be accessed when the truck is on either side or its lid. which might mean carrying two of them.

Oh yeah, STRAP 'EM DOWN!!!
Ummm... Who's Todd? And what did he get hit in the head with?
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2002, 08:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 2429
Quote:
Originally posted by Mo

Todd is "Todd" hehe member #422

Todds Roll

He didnt get hit with anything but his tools, cooler and spares ended up all over and under the rocks.

Old 02-24-2002, 08:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 422
Quote:

Oh yeah, I got it, and you'll see that I really got it this weekend . There ain't shit goin nowhere!!
Formula Toy #006; Thanks to Deaver Spring, High Angle Driveline, Longfields, Rock Buggy Supply, PRP Seats, Marlin Crawler, Coast Motor Supply and RockStomper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RE:Todd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2002, 09:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 9726
Quote:

WHATWHATWHAT?!?!?!?

If it can safely be flipped back over fast, then do it asap before all the fluids end up all over the ground and make sure you clean up any fluids before leaving.

LOL, if the engine is still running and the rig is on its side or top, it wont be running for long. Unless you have a bunch of guys standing right there and can get it right back over in a few seconds, (but they will be to busy getting pitures and checking out the body damage to help) so just shut it down. LMAO!!!

So, what then, you mean to tell me these guys were lying? What good is the search function if all you get are lies? And after all the money I spent grooving my SX's...... Lance, i want my $20 back (oh, wait, I think I'm still mooching)

Quote:
Originally posted by whatdaphuk
I know i'm still a newbie, but, unless you have a hydraulic winch, why would you keep the engine running when you are on your roof?? Can someone politely enlighten me?

Quote:
Originally posted by twistedmetal
Cuz, if you're runnin SX's, then there is always the chance you could hook up and right yourself, thus cancelling out your friends' laughter that you knocked it over. So, in the words of Homer-"Yoink!"

Quote:
Originally posted by DownunderBender

Everyone knows if you groove your SX's with an air vortex grooving pattern, and run them at about 4psi, you get a tire oscillation condition at 2500 rpms, which creates a swirling vortex, around the tire.
The swirling vortex will,l propell you forward (or rearward if you throw it in reverse) , even while on your lid.
Works great, Ive done it many times,(mostly downhill though).

Im sure someone could post a pic or a link to a site, that shows the "air vortex" grooving pattern.

Old 02-24-2002, 10:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
The Piratenite

Member # 4
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
Quote:
Originally posted by Mo

LOL.... a friend of mine i was spotting on jack hammer that decided he was gonna have a garage sale and skatterd his junk during a 360 barell roll

hey todd your pre roll check list is .......

1. is camo spotting me?
2. don't go that way

Old 02-24-2002, 10:43 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 7354
I second the get-it-on-it's-feet-as-quickly-as-possible. Two quarts of gear oil on the ground will mess up a lot of surface water (like three square miles IIRC). Fluid on ground=bad for the trail.

SeanP
Old 02-25-2002, 12:34 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 2429
Quote:

So, what then, you mean to tell me these guys were lying? What good is the search function if all you get are lies? And after all the money I spent grooving my SX's...... Lance, i want my $20 back (oh, wait, I think I'm still mooching)

You are kidding right? Please tell me you're kidding

But in case you're not, under the right conditions this is posible. Even I have managed to up-right my old heep when it was on the drivers side in a notch but i was only leaned over maybe 70 degrees or so. But I dont consider that a "roll", hell some of like to drive on our sides

If you think you're in a position to throttle off your side, then stay on it.

Old 02-25-2002, 01:10 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 9726
Yes, I'm kidding. My original question was serious though, cuz I thought I remembered somebody had said something about wanting to keep the jeep running if he went over. When I went back to look at the thread, though, I saw it was just these two newbie-baiting posts.
Old 02-25-2002, 01:25 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 8568
Quote:
Originally posted by SeanP
I second the get-it-on-it's-feet-as-quickly-as-possible. Two quarts of gear oil on the ground will mess up a lot of surface water (like three square miles IIRC). Fluid on ground=bad for the trail.

SeanP
This is a good point.... Stuff like extra paper towles and rags are good to have to wipe up your spilled fluids. Getting you rig rited quickly is the eaysest way for the least amount of cleanup. ''The Esclator'' in moab is a prime example of people floping over and spilling fluids and not cleaning up it is really descusting there cause of all the spilt crap on the rocks. THis is the stuff people from Tree huggers R us love to use aginst us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KOH 2009 Team 435
KOH 2010, 2011,2012,2013,2014, 2015 Team 4431
EMC 4619 2014,2015,2016
TLCA# 5305

Last edited by USFSIHC; 02-25-2002 at 01:27 AM.
RustyNailJustin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2002, 01:33 AM   #19 (permalink)
Poseur SUV

Member # 610
Send a message via ICQ to Paul Gagnon
Quote:
It doesn't take long to flip the truck back over. It shouldn't take more than about 10 minutes(usually less, it depends on how long everyone spends laughing) unless your hair gets caught in the roll bar.

Last edited by Paul Gagnon; 02-25-2002 at 01:34 AM.
Paul Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2002, 01:50 AM   #20 (permalink)
SMC

Member # 8941
Ive seen a direct injection engine gun upsidedown untill it started to spew white smoke from the oil being sucked into the combustion chamber. But, i would shut it down the second you feel you cant power out of it. In a roll or side flop type situation. Shure you engine might run, but it will take alot of damage from lack of oil. Your oil pump is only designed to work when the pan is level or close to it. *fyi, the kid's injected engine threw a rod later that week when he was driving to work. Ill assume it was cause of that little roll.*
SMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2002, 11:57 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 422
Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by camo

hey todd your pre roll check list is .......

1. is camo spotting me?
2. don't go that way
What, you think you scared me off?? It's almost time to give it another try at Jack, I just want to get some Longfields first. I took care of that gearing issue, but I'm still doing some cage gussetts.
Formula Toy #006; Thanks to Deaver Spring, High Angle Driveline, Longfields, Rock Buggy Supply, PRP Seats, Marlin Crawler, Coast Motor Supply and RockStomper.

RE:Todd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2002, 12:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
Eveytime time i saw people roll ( i have never got mine ALL the way over,, just push it back up, open the hood make sure your Fan is not in your radiator, and then move it out of the way and check all your fluids on the side of the trail
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2002, 02:22 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Once upon a time in a land to close to where I live....

Make sure you take a cute girl out while on your first date ever then roll while trying to impress said girl.

Needless to say they got married shortly there after and now have 3 kids with one on the way, the truck doesn't run, and he doesn't get to go wheeling anymore.....they did just buy a new mini-van though.

Makes you think a little bit! I am soooooo glad that wasn't me!

later
Mieser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2002, 02:34 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 8843
haha this weekend was the first time i've taken my gf out with me. Of course, trying to impress her I end up on the passenger side and gave her a nice bruise on her leg. She was way cool about it though and even picked my trashed windsheild up and put it in the back for me...maybe she's a keeper

-Steve
Old 02-25-2002, 03:14 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 1070
Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by offroadr35
haha this weekend was the first time i've taken my gf out with me. Of course, trying to impress her I end up on the passenger side and gave her a nice bruise on her leg. She was way cool about it though and even picked my trashed windsheild up and put it in the back for me...maybe she's a keeper

-Steve
If you didn't lose your hearing from her screaming at you, methinks she sounds like a keeper!! Now, if she starts challenging you to try stuff you probably wouldn't normally try, and calls you a pussy if you won't-DEFINITELY a keeper!!
dangerber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in