Front D60 locker choice (strength & use)? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2005, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dirt Engineer

Member # 23542
Front D60 locker choice (strength & use)?

I continue to amass parts on my project rig. One thing I have been going back and forth on is the front locker. But lately, I hear more about detroit failures, so now I am not so sure. Maybe it is just my buddy who has signed on a the unofficial spokesman for ARB just messin me up with his constant sales pitch (Hey Abner, !). The alternative is the Eaton E-locker, but this is relatively new, so long-term strength is yet to be proven. All I can find researching the e-locker is guys who installed it and say it works as advertised.

Vehicle specs: 72 EB, 5.8, C6, 203/205 twin-sticked, eaton rear w/ detroit, HP60 front w/ drive flanges, 5.13 gears, probably 42 TSLs. Set up for general wheeling and rockcrawling.

So, given the information, would you continue with the front detroit or instead go with the eaton e-locker? Is the e-locker as prone to damage from axle breaks as the detroit? Cost on the two is close enough that it doesn't affect the decision much. The ARB is high enough that, unless there is something drastically lacking in either the detroit or the e-locker, it is ruled out. Which is stronger, more reliable, etc?
Clodhopper is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2005, 10:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 34756
Hmmm, with all the experience amongst PBB members with both Detroits and E-Lockers, no one has replied. Wonder why that is...

Oh yeah. They're both strong lockers and this has been discussed before (Search!).

Comes down to the selectable's superior front axle street performance, especially when left "open" on ice/snow covered roads, or to the Detroit's superior off-road performance, in that it is always "engaged", that is alternating locking & ratcheting for best traction which is often not so good on ice/snow covered roads.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2005, 11:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 16384
Send a message via AIM to paulevans76
since you are running flanges, it seems smart to use a selectable for those tight turns on high-traction surfaces. not too much of a price difference if you rig up your own compressor for the arb.

my 2 pennies

--Paul

Old 05-02-2005, 11:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 34756
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulevans76
since you are running flanges, it seems smart to use a selectable for those tight turns on high-traction surfaces....
Great point. I totally missed his having drive flanges on the front D60. The Detroit would make high-traction turns difficult with drive flanges. Maybe even lead to more breakage. Good call.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
pro web-wheeler

Member # 12217
Not if you're driving in FWD...we use Detroits in front w/o issue, but we're not driving on the highway. Driving on high traction surfaces, we're usually driving in front wheel drive. Watch tight turns under high power though...BANG, unless you've got CTM's and Chromo shafts.
RedBullJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2005, 04:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 15811
The ARB, or any selectable locker is also nice if you are questionable on the strength of your axle. Only turn it on when you need it, and reduce the chances of failure, gives you normal street driving/ trail driving, and fully locks when you call for it. I have not seen the E-locker used. I have an ARB in my front 60 and was first exposed to them in my brothers toyota. He really sold me on them. The only drawback to the ARB is the need for compressed gas. Gotta have OBA, a small compressor or a power tank. My brother has actually had to finish a trail with no locker because he forgot to shut off the valve on the power tank the night before. It came up empty in the morning. For this reason I might lean toward the e-locker if I were doing it new.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1972CJ5+1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2005, 04:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 20092
I'm running a detroit in the front, but I am also running full hydro steering too. High traction turns will be pretty tough if you don't have some beef in the steering system. So far, no breakage for me. I did set my hydro steering up very carefully so that at full lock, the knuckle stop bolt has about .050 in between it and the tube fork. I lose a little in turning radius, but I think it reduces the chance of knuckle joint breakage in those full throttle tellico style assaults.

I know a guy from Durango who has an Electrac in his front 60 and he swears by it. I wheeled with him in Moab and was impressed with it's performance. He's had it for a while and so far, no boom-boom. He's running 42in Iroks and a pretty healthy 360 AMC. We are both 35 spline hub to hub.

In your case, even with the drive flanges, I don't think you will know a detroit is there when in 2WD on the street. It will unlock and be transparent. The minute you kick in the front axle- then you will know it's there.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 2102
I like my ARB

I had a detroit but I broke it, haven't broken anything in the front since the arb but so far so good. I really like it unlocked and lock when you need it. That could also be the novelty also, but I'm happy.
J Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2005, 05:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 8459
Excluding the cost of a compressed gas system. What is the price difference between ARB, E-locker, & Detroit?
Old 05-03-2005, 07:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Dirt Engineer

Member # 23542
4x4Poet - um, yeah dude, I DID search.

selectable is nice, for twice the price. Well, for ARB, electrac (yuck) or OX anyway.

Let me point out what many are missing. "...203/205 twin-sticked,..." Therefore on tight turns, go to 2wd, detroit is not receiving torque, it is unlocked. To me, throwing the shifter on a tight turn is no more troublesome than hitting a switch to disengage the locker.

My DD cherokee currently has 35" tires, a 9" rear with detroit and a HP44 histeer front with an Aussie. I really like the autolockers... Fewer parts, fewer problems. The only issue is tight turns. I will be installing a 2lo on the XJ this summer to help with it.

Yeah, if I was independantly wealthy, I wouldn't bother asking. Same with most of you guys.

I just have been hearing more and more problems with blown side gears on detroits, I am currently dealing with a damaged side gear in the rear axle for this rig. Makes me wonder if there is a reasonably priced alternative that might be more hardy.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Dirt Engineer

Member # 23542
Oh, and for you guys asking why I am building another rig? The EB is for my wife.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 24704
Detroit all the way. I'm broke so I have a Lock-Right, but if I ever trash it, a Detroit will go in. Either way, auto lockers are the way to go.
Tim84K10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2005, 10:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 22290
Send a message via AIM to Andy351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim84K10
Detroit all the way. I'm broke so I have a Lock-Right, but if I ever trash it, a Detroit will go in. Either way, auto lockers are the way to go.
same here. ARB would be nice so i could run flanges on the street, but i prefer auto lockers. one less thing to think about.

[B]USE CODE: PIRATE10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!![/B]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
//

[/CENTER]
Andy351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2005, 10:11 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 11249
I agree on the Auto locker thing. I get tired of yelling at people "ARB" "ARB"

We wheel here in MO with drive flanges and Detroits without problems.

Thats why you have front wheel drive and cutting brakes!
MudzerK5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2005, 10:26 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 24300
Go with ARB, having an extra on/off switch to play with on the trail is fun
BlueAngel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2005, 11:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
Ford Forum Moderator

Member # 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim84K10
Detroit all the way. I'm broke so I have a Lock-Right, but if I ever trash it, a Detroit will go in.
That's what I said when I put the lock-right in the front of mine. It's now been in 9 years & is currently surviving through the rig weighing about 6000lbs w/42" tires, doubler, & has survived 3 broken axleshafts. It's never given me a single problem.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:48 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 24704
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFord4x4
That's what I said when I put the lock-right in the front of mine. It's now been in 9 years & is currently surviving through the rig weighing about 6000lbs w/42" tires, doubler, & has survived 3 broken axleshafts. It's never given me a single problem.
Thus far mine has survived several trips to Badlands, Four Wheeler Magazine's Real Truck Club challenge, and a trip to Tellico. I'm not too worried about my so-called pop-wrong at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy351
same here. ARB would be nice so i could run flanges on the street, but i prefer auto lockers. one less thing to think about.
I'm pretty familiar with the locker in your front axle. I sold it to you.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 2538
Is the E-locker from Eaton even available for the D60 again? I heard they released a VERY SMALL batch to some people back in Nov. 04, but are on back order for several more months for any new 60 units.

Any truth to this?

Sean
Old 05-04-2005, 07:01 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 1825
got my e locker in feb , momorial weekend will be the test !! dana 60 ,513 gears 38s hope its as good as that arb I had !!
55 guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2005, 07:45 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean
Is the E-locker from Eaton even available for the D60 again? I heard they released a VERY SMALL batch to some people back in Nov. 04, but are on back order for several more months for any new 60 units.

Any truth to this?

Sean
I know a few more got some just recently (including me). I don't know about it's mass availability though.

So far I've only run one comp on them, but they worked fine so far. My only complaint is the switches--they failed on me the first day. They're a push-on, push-off switch, and they loaded up with grit/mud and wouldn't turn on any more. They've now been replaced by simple toggle switches, so I don't anticipate any more problems out of them.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:13 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 47067
E Locker

OK so much for E lockers in the front----- what about the rear? I am putting a FF 60 in the rear of my Scout II on 35's and am considering the E locker. Alot of guys like the ARB, but I have seen too many failures on the trail and am leary of them.
srscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2005, 02:18 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 34756
srsscout, search or start your own thread. Front and rear locker questions have disparate issues to address.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:06 AM   #23 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
I will never run another non-selectable locker in a front axle ever again. Currently running drive flanges and an ARB up front in my 60, works great.

>It only hurts the first time you agree with me...
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2005, 07:03 AM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 24704
Selectable lockers are great, as long as you write "Are both tires spinning?" on your forehead before you hit the trails.

Last edited by Tim84K10; 05-15-2005 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:27 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 47067
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Poet
srsscout, search or start your own thread. Front and rear locker questions have disparate issues to address.
Gee Poet----- Sorry to inconvenience you. I just figured that since the subject was rolling ( the Eaton E locker) I would throw in my question about the rear.
srscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in