Griffin aluminum radiator dimensions... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2002, 02:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 11
Griffin aluminum radiator dimensions...

Are the listed dimensions, such as 22"x19", and 24"x19", the actual outside to outside dimensions? From all the pictures I've seen it appears that way, however, the guy on the other end of the line at Summit was POSITIVE that those are the core dimensions. I've already e-mailed Griffin, but haven't heard back yet. Anybody?

By the way, Griffin aluminum radiators are only $165 at www.pitstopusa.com (as opposed to Summits' recently raised price of $190).
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2002, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 848
Mines 27.5 x15 and it's measured from the outside demensions....Not the core demensions.
Old 03-02-2002, 05:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 1478
I was just looking at a retail site (can't remember what one) the other day, and they had a diagram stating that radiator dimensions are listed for the core, not the overall.

I'm deciding between the 22 x 19 and the 24 x 19 for my YJ.

Does pitstopusa have a flat shipping rate?

Old 03-02-2002, 05:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9835
The dimensions listed are for the core, good luck trying to find the actual dimensions from Griffin, I tried calling their customer service and website and got NOWHERE. Their customer service sucks. They were unwillling to do anything except read from their catalog and quote prices.
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2002, 06:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 845
I have a 27.5x19 and a 22x19 griffin radiators. These measurements are at the widest points, mine narrow down at the bottom for clearance of a frame rail.

The 22x19 has never been used, has some of the fins dinged but should work great...let me know if anyone wants it...ill sell it for $150.

CJ
CJ Lagos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2002, 07:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 1478
CJ Lagos,

So the measurements are from the outer edges of the tanks (tanks are on the sides, correct?)?

And you are using the 27.5" wide one behind your TJ grill?

How much of the core extends beyond the grill slots openings?
Old 03-03-2002, 01:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 11
Hmmmmmm. Lance has a 24x19, and from the pictures in another thread, it looks like it is just about as wide as the inside of the framerails. I measure about 24" inside of my framerails(FJ40).

There is one on ebay which is 22x19 according to the part number, and the seller says it measures 22" at the widest point.

I've looked at all the pics on Summits' site, and it appears that they have actual pictures of each size, not just a generic picture, and the core on the 22x19 looks just about square, rather than 22x19.

That, together with the info in this thread, leads me to believe that they are overall dimensions.

It SAYS everywhere that the measurements are core measurements, but from just about every other angle I've seen, it looks like the advertised measurements include the tanks, and are overall dimensions.

Unless they've changed things since you guys bought yours, it sounds like the listed dimensions are overall measurements. I guess I'll order what I think I need, and if it ain't right I'll send it back. I just want to make sure I get the right one the first time, as I am planning on goin' wheelin' next weekend, and if I have to send it back, I won't make it.

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-03-2002, 03:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
PJR

Member # 3811
Send a message via Yahoo to PJR
have you tried becool.com?I run a becool radiator in my SG/SC car.I know I saw Heep appl. on their site.
PJR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2002, 03:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 845
I've cut a lot of the inner fenders away, so the 27.5" does fit but I'm not sure if it would with real fenders.

CJ
CJ Lagos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2002, 11:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 11
Just an update for anybody that cares. I recieved this e-mail from Griffin today. The model number below refers to the radiator listed as 24"x19", that everybody swears are core dimensions.

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: dimension question
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 13:31:37 EST

Dear Ryan,
Thanks for the e-mail. The overall dimensions on part # 1-25202-X is 24 X 19 X 2.25. The core on this unit would be 19 X 19. Please e-mail back if I can assist you further.
Sincerely,
Linda
Old 03-04-2002, 11:56 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 11
Quote:
Originally posted by Charly
Does pitstopusa have a flat shipping rate?
I don't think so. When you enter your order on their site it says shipping charges are 'TBD'. I called and the lady said for a radiator to Utah it would be about $15. I ordered mine from Summit today, because they have a flat handling fee of $8, and UPS ground is free(at least that's how they break it down). At least you know total cost up front. Besides, Summit has a good reputation, and they're closer to me, so with UPS ground I should get it a lot faster from Summit than from pitstopusa. Summit is a little more, but in my case it worked out better.
Old 03-04-2002, 12:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 1899
Location: Tacoma, Wa Where you can drink the water, but don't breath the air
Quote:
Originally posted by PJR
have you tried becool.com?I run a becool radiator in my SG/SC car.I know I saw Heep appl. on their site.
I thought about getting a beCool radiator, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend the extra $100 or so dollars compared to a Howe or Griffin
Old 03-04-2002, 02:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 1478
Sweet.

Thanks for sharing that info Ryan. So the dimensions are overall.

Charly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in