Who's got the best prices on harnesses? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2005, 05:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 6971
Who's got the best prices on harnesses?

Looks like I missed the deal that was in the vendors section for the $45 harnesses with free shipping (searched for it, its gone).

I'm a lazy fawker and dont feel like PM'in, posting, and calling every vendor or supplier of harnesses out there for the best price. From what I've been able to find price wise the lowest out there is about $69 (summit, stock car products).

I'm looking for the V mount shoulder belts, snap on mounts would be great, but I can deal with bolt on.

If your a vendor and dont want to post a price, pm's will work, same with anyone who doesnt want to post a deal of a price from a vendor on the board.

So what have you guys found? I'm sure someone has already done the homework, why repeat the process?

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

:flipoff2:

"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." R. L. Burnside
kwrangln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2005, 05:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 48208
theres some on ebay for around 50-60 dollars
f250crawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2005, 05:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 38486
I went to the drag strip and asked the drives if they had any out of date belts they wanted to sell, for my rig, I found more than I wanted for $25 and less.
TRKSMTH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2005, 06:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 39492
theres a vendor here on pirate that has nice 5 pt harnesses for 49 bucks each. thats what im running and i was very impressed with the quality. on par with any of the big names, but lots cheaper.
reddman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2005, 06:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 24405
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRKSMTH
I went to the drag strip and asked the drives if they had any out of date belts they wanted to sell, for my rig, I found more than I wanted for $25 and less.

I 2nd this route. I got 2 new in the box RCI 5 points for $50 for both (expired) and they are not the cheap ones.
s10bogger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2005, 07:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 6971
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddman
theres a vendor here on pirate that has nice 5 pt harnesses for 49 bucks each. thats what im running and i was very impressed with the quality. on par with any of the big names, but lots cheaper.
Thats the ad I was searching for, cant find it and searched 4 different ways. Still got any contact info?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." R. L. Burnside
Old 07-09-2005, 07:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 2413
the RCI harnesses I bought were junk..they rusted fast ,jambed up,hard to adjust and the webbing was realy stiff..I'm a cheap bastard but I have been really happy with the set of Crow lap belts I have..I say spend the extra money for a good set

not to say that they weren't safe,just a pain in the ass and I regreted buying them
Old 07-09-2005, 09:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 42745
Send a message via AIM to 85mudblazin
Might want to look in the vendor section next time....
Click
512 Motorsports #4419
-Chris
85mudblazin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2005, 10:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 31352
the drag strip and circle track are good places to get belts if you are NOT competing. they can't run them if they are out of date, and many times, they will just give them to you.

if you are gonna compete, you need to ante up and buy some good ones that aren't out of date.

My RCI's are great, and they have been washed a couple of times with no rust or problems (had to get the mud out of the webbing).
TheRamChargerMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2005, 10:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 1636
I got a pair of Simpson cam locks new in the box at the swap meet for $50 because they were outdated before the guy got a chance to install them in his car. check ebay i saw plenty of cheap ones there too
chris demartini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2005, 12:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 14685
Send a message via AIM to braxton357
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRamChargerMan
the drag strip and circle track are good places to get belts if you are NOT competing. they can't run them if they are out of date, and many times, they will just give them to you.

if you are gonna compete, you need to ante up and buy some good ones that aren't out of date.

My RCI's are great, and they have been washed a couple of times with no rust or problems (had to get the mud out of the webbing).

Competing in what? No rockcrawling sanctioning bodies require up-to-date harness tags. I bought both sets of mine new and now wish I would've just gone used.

73 linked 5.8efi Bronco
braxton357 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2005, 06:04 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 6971
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85mudblazin
Might want to look in the vendor section next time....
Click
I went through 29 pages of threads with harness in the title, who'e have thought he listed em under seatbelts. Shit happens.

Thanks all.

Old 07-10-2005, 09:43 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 31352
Quote:
Originally Posted by braxton357
Competing in what? No rockcrawling sanctioning bodies require up-to-date harness tags. I bought both sets of mine new and now wish I would've just gone used.
I assumed (yeah, bad thing) that the rock crawling events required up to date seatbelts. It seems kinda stupid to me to require a roll cage, but not up to date harnesses.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 26262
Rock crawling doesn't have the same potential for stress on a harness. Dragsters go about 150 miles per hour. you'd have to fall like a thousand feet to crash at a similar speed.
Dalec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2005, 10:38 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 31352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalec
Rock crawling doesn't have the same potential for stress on a harness. Dragsters go about 150 miles per hour. you'd have to fall like a thousand feet to crash at a similar speed.

True, but the seatbelt is never really stressed, unless you hit something at that speed.

and define stress........if my 250 lbs body is held up by them, i'd call that stress......lol!
Old 07-10-2005, 12:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 16225
I think they are dated because UV rays might break down the material, which could lead to failure. I see this happening even worse in a trail rig, because you will also introduce mud and dirt, which is very abrasive and can weaken the belts further. Any sort of harness is still better than none tho.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:58 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 5982
I highly recommend running a set of Sand Buggy harness' over traditional 5 point. With the shoulder harness sewn into the lap belt you do not need to worry about latching in the shoulder harness. I know there are a lot of people that only run laps, or use the shoulder harness when in peril, but I almost smashed my hand messing around in a rig with regular 5 points. I did not have the shoulder harness on because it's a PITA to deal with each time. We nosed into a crevice and flipped forward, without the shoulder harness I fell forward and almost smashed my hand between the grab bar side of the crevice.

Here is the link to the site
http://www.crowenterprizes.com/3X3-DUNE-BUGGY-RE.html

Joe
Old 07-10-2005, 01:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 14685
Send a message via AIM to braxton357
Quote:
Originally Posted by dittohead
I think they are dated because UV rays might break down the material, which could lead to failure. I see this happening even worse in a trail rig, because you will also introduce mud and dirt, which is very abrasive and can weaken the belts further. Any sort of harness is still better than none tho.
This is exactly why. But the truth is, sfi/nhra have quite a few dumb rules that are either over-the-top or unbelievably stupid. The truth is, you can leave your buggy out in the sun for years and roll it thirty times and the harness will be no worse for the wear.

And fwiw, I ordered those same $49 harnesses for the mustang as it's belts had to be sfi approved. They came quickly and were basically the exact same as all the other latch-type harnesses of that sort. In the bronco I've got the 3pt corbeaus with the car-style latch and 2" straps that are also softer than most. They aren't sfi approved, but in the future they will be the only thing I buy or suggest anyone else to buy. At least 30x more comfortable than traditional harnesses and just as easy to use.

73 linked 5.8efi Bronco
braxton357 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2005, 07:53 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 11963
I used Simpson belts in my sprintcar,when the date came up I mailed them back to Simpson and they check and re-web them with a new date.I think I paid $50- for that service.

magoo117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in