Should I sell, part out, or keep my willys wagon project - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2005, 12:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 11939
Should I sell, part out, or keep my willys wagon project

I currently have a huge dilemma on my hands. I'm trying to figure out what's more cost effective. First off, my project is a 1953 Willys Wagon. I've been working on it since I was about 14. I'm 22 now. It's an empty tub with a roll cage sitting on new 38" Super Swamper TSL's. It has a corp 14 FF rear with an eaton posi and 4.56 gears (0 miles since rebuilt). The front is an HD Dana 44. It has new brakes all the way around, but no master cylinder or plumbing yet. I have a 454/T400/NP205 combo that ran when pulled 2 years ago with about 60k miles. It's pretty much just a roller without brakes or steering; Tires, body, and engine/trans/t-case. I don't know what anyone would pay for this monster. I've put about 6k into it over the years and I figure it will take between 10K and 15k to finish it. I don't have the money or the time to continue the project right now. Should I sell it whole and for how much? Should I part it out? Should I keep it? I've got 2 weeks to solve this dilemma before my girlfriend sells it for me or before I tow it up to my pop's place to store at an outrageous cost for fuel, a trailer, etc.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 50212
Before your girlfriend sells it for you??? I'd get a new girlfriend before I parted with a project like that. I've been wheeling a '59 Willys pick-up for the last five years, and I wouldn't sell or trade it for anything. The best thing about it is that it isn't just another Jeep. My advice is to keep the project, and find a girlfriend that will support you in your hobbies (or at the very least, exercise your option to store it at your Pop's place)...
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2005, 01:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 11939
My girlfriend wont get rid of it literally, but certain consequences should be avoided. Haha. The shitty thing about taking it to my pops house is that I can't find a trailer wide enough to take it as it is, so then I gotta get some roller tires. And with a trailer I don't have a big enough truck to tow it, so I would have to rent one of those as well as the trailer. I wish I could find a tow dolly wide enough so I would only have to get 2 rollers and then use my truck. Too many rocks and hard places.

Old 09-05-2005, 02:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 1375
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuck2001
I I've got 2 weeks to solve this dilemma before my girlfriend sells it for me etc.

i'm not one to flame, but are you kidding me..........?

you've had this since you were 14.........(put it in storage if you have to)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3/4tonYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2005, 02:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 3062
Send a message via Yahoo to Wolverine
still your girl sounds like a *[email protected]#$%^&* get a nother girl and keep it. I went though the same thing while building my toyota. I almost sold it. But now that its done I wouldn't get rid of it for anything.

99% of humor comes at other peoples pain.
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2005, 02:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 11612
Quote:
My girlfriend wont get rid of it literally, but certain consequences should be avoided. Haha. The shitty thing about taking it to my pops house is that I can't find a trailer wide enough to take it as it is, so then I gotta get some roller tires. And with a trailer I don't have a big enough truck to tow it, so I would have to rent one of those as well as the trailer. I wish I could find a tow dolly wide enough so I would only have to get 2 rollers and then use my truck. Too many rocks and hard places.
WAAAAAAAAa My Gf dont like my truck and I gotta sell it so I can get my dick wet next month. Fawkin pussy
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2005, 03:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 50212
Quote:
My girlfriend wont get rid of it literally, but certain consequences should be avoided. Haha.
I've been through situations like this in my life and believe me, the 1953 Willys wagon will last much, much longer than a relationship with someone that would use sex as a weapon to force you out of your hobby.

I gather that you're in college. Unless things have changed drastically since I was in school, you should be able to get laid about any time you want. Finding another Willys wagon to fullfill what has obviously been a dream of yours since you were fourteen might be more difficult...

Last edited by PRegner; 09-05-2005 at 03:02 PM.
PRegner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2005, 03:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 48279
IMHO selling or parting your wagon out would be step backwards. You may get some cash for it but you will never get your time back.

I bought my 63 wagon when I was 20, I am 31 now and have a wife, 3 kids and a house and still have the wagon. Its still just a roller like yours. I just keep plugging away at it.
What keeps me going is the thought of how cool it will be when I can wheel it.
_nailhead_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2005, 06:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 32955
I concur Key word is "girlfriend" not WIFE.
I got into this sport after I was married for a few years, but although she doesn't care to go. she still realizes this is "MY hobby".
if she ever told me it goes or I go. that would be an easy decision, as it would be always a source of resentment. sometimes that request is a start of bigger things(hell).

when I got engaged I sold my cycle to buy her a ring, it was my decision to sell not hers. we now looking for a cruiser style bike...........Karl
NMEinc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in