Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum (/forum/)
-   General 4x4 Discussion (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/16-general-4x4-discussion/)
-   -   leaving out the pinion oil baffle on a Dana axle (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/409018-leaving-out-pinion-oil-baffle-dana-axle.html)

dumblucky 11-02-2005 12:25 AM

leaving out the pinion oil baffle on a Dana axle

i was talkin to this tech that works at a shop and he told me that when he regears Dana front axles he doesnt replace the pinion oil baffle on front Dana 30 axles..he replaces the baffle with the appropriate thckness shims and finishes the intall
he stated that he would rather the gears oil be able to travel between the front and back of the diff with no problem

anyone else use this method..
I would think Dana put the baffle in there for a reason
not sure what the pinion oil baffle does but sounds reasonable..

NotMatt 11-02-2005 01:31 AM

I've done it both ways and never had any problems... Honestly the one that I left it out was just because I forgot it though. :shaking: That diff is still going strong... spooled rear 44 in an XJ on 37's, driven lots on the street and off-road, with no problems whatsoever so far. I've also taken apart other diffs that have been regeared (A D30, and some other D44's) that were missing them, and didn't find anything abnormal inside.

bggrnchvy 11-02-2005 02:36 AM

No baffle in my Chevy front as it kinda got destroyed, but its a low pinion so Im not to worried and its in the front. Not sure if I would be comfortable with doing it to a rear HP axle though.

DarkEternal 11-02-2005 02:55 AM

I always put them back in. I had a dana 44 rear come to me destroyed - from what i could tell the installer left out the oil baffle, the bearings didnt get enough lube, and cooked. Its there for a reason, so why not put it back. Most instal kits come with them, I know the Yukon ones do - so might as well do it right.

JEEPRZ 11-02-2005 07:10 AM

There is an oil baffle, and an oil slinger.

The baffle (what I call it, may be called something else) goes behind the inner pinion race, and has a hole just larger than the pinion shaft. This keeps the oil level up a bit in the snout where the outer bearing sits.

The slinger is a large disc thats pressed between the pinion head and outer bearing. It slings oil into the passage going to the outer bearing. In a rear axle, the oil whips off of the ring gear down this passage, in the front the gear is rotating the other direction, so the slinger gets lube in there.