SBC 350 recources? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2005, 09:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 4554
Send a message via AIM to bluesman2a
SBC 350 recources?

I'm a Jeep guy, know I-6's and 304-360-401 pretty well, self taught, but I'm getting ready to do an SBC swap into my truck and I'm starting to look for resources to learn more about the engine. I'm not up on Chevy applications, so please forgive my ignorance.

I've searched here and waded through several pages of stuff to no avail.

Specs:
383 stroker 4 bolt main, 2 piece rear main seal with vortec heads. Mated to a TH400 and then 203/205 doubler. It'll be carb'd (please hold the commentary on the wonders of FI), HEI dizzy, and run V-belts with the long-water pump config. Exhaust is old-school rams-horn manifolds.

What I'm looking for, any hints in the right direction would be greatly appreciated:
1) decent haynes/chilton type manual for the engine. Obviously this isn't a stock app, what would be a good fit for this KIND of stuff?
2) books or web resources to help me cure my ignorance.
3) decent technical reference, covering things like firing order, torque specs, assembly, possibly some light rebuild/modding stuff.

Thanks in advance, and mods if I chose poorly and/or this belongs in the newb section, please feel free to move.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 13268
You should be able to find that info just about anywhere. The SBC is everywhere. Go to your local performance parts store and they should have about a dozen books telling you the same thing. I can tell you the firing order is 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 26496
Left some light reading for you in the library at the shop..... your favorite performance parts catalog has some good resources as well

..... and have I mentioned the virtues of FI lately!!!!!
RockSports Team #770

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 & 2010 KOH Team #770

Bunk is a true Hero! Ask me why :)
DocRocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2005, 11:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 6957
any large book store barnes and noble, borders will have a whole section of manuals and books. everything from rebuild a stock 350 to a blown 350 and i've even seen building 383 books cause its a popular motor. and whats cool is both these stores have seats and don't mind if you read it before you buy

ironpig70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2005, 01:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 50242
Google for a book by John Lingenfelter. You'll have to wade through a bit if stuff, he was a busy (and popular) guy. But he wrote one of the definitive books on the SBC.

[edit: awe, heck. I'm feeling generous: Here you go.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155...books&v=glance

You'll notice both a FI and a carb engine on the book cover. It should be exactly what you want.

Under $20 delivered. Not bad.

Don't just take my word for it, ask around about John Lingenfelter. He was THE MAN when it came to the SBC.

Last edited by Fozzy_Bear; 12-20-2005 at 01:35 PM.
Fozzy_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in