Waterproof winch? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2005, 05:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Disc brake guru

Member # 25927
Waterproof winch?

I do some mudbogging and I want to get a better winch. Right now I have a milemarker 9000 and any time I get it submerged I have to take it apart and clean everything out. I know this is really hard on a winch and none of them will take this abuse forever.

Anyway I want some reviews of electric winches that have been submerged and lived. I'm thinking about a Warn 9.5ti. I've heard they are very close to being at least water resistant.

What do you guys reccomend?

Dana 70 kits $300 -->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. . Sterling 10.25 kits $390 -->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dana 60 front 3/4 ton kits $295-->
. .

Last edited by GubNi; 12-22-2005 at 05:35 PM.
GubNi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2005, 08:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 28268
Send a message via AIM to YJTypeR
Definitely not the m8000 . Mine is screwed from having water in it. There is no seal what so ever between the motor and the winch frame.

Last edited by YJTypeR; 12-22-2005 at 08:24 PM.
YJTypeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2005, 08:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 11244
Wouldn't a full hydraulic winch like the mile marker be 100% water proof in theory? There are no electricals except for the control valve, and the hydro circuit is completely sealed. That is going to be your best bet in my opinion.

I am guessing you have the cheap electric mile marker now right?

Last edited by Malltero; 12-22-2005 at 08:37 PM.
Malltero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2005, 06:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Disc brake guru

Member # 25927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malltero
Wouldn't a full hydraulic winch like the mile marker be 100% water proof in theory? There are no electricals except for the control valve, and the hydro circuit is completely sealed. That is going to be your best bet in my opinion.

I am guessing you have the cheap electric mile marker now right?
I have one of each. I'm looking to replace the cheap MM electric with something better. I don't want hydraulic in case the engine dies.

Dana 70 kits $300 -->
. . Sterling 10.25 kits $390 -->

Dana 60 front 3/4 ton kits $295-->
. .
GubNi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2005, 07:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 17654
I would recommend any of the Warn winches with an integrated solenoid, like this..

Not like this...

I would NOT recommend the 16.5 ti. The solenoid is mounted remotely and is not in a waterproof case. I was suprised at this when I recieved mine.

Aaron871 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2005, 07:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 9722
The solenoid pack really isnt bothered by water. It's just wires and closed weather solenoids. Plus, if yo uhave the external, you can mount the solenoid assembly inside the cab if you really think it makes a difference. My front winch solenoid assembly is mounted on the inside of my firewall. My rear winch is next to the winch under my floor.

Anyways, I've broken more things in mud then on the rocks.

Last edited by TexasBlake; 12-23-2005 at 07:58 AM.
TexasBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2005, 08:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 46725
Get bigger tires then your winch never sees mud
Old 12-23-2005, 08:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
I had a MM 10.5k, full hydro, it was pretty waterproof.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2005, 08:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 11244
A warn 8274 might be your best bet then. When you rebuild it I would drill and tap the upper and lower case assemblies for drain and fill plugs. Then when your done wheeling you can drain it out and put new oil in without breaking the case apart.

The brake is on the side so you can hose that out real easy too.
Malltero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2005, 10:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 29638
Send a message via AIM to MuddyV8YJ
I run a warn hs9500i, similar to this:

ive had it compeltely submerged and it keeps on pulling no problems.

[rumor warning]
I've heard of a trick that if you submerge your electric winch, get out of the water and do a long hard pull to get the winch hot enough to evaporate the water, nothing corrodes.
[\rumor warning]

[QUOTE=Grim Reaper]Cause of death: Natural selection. :laughing: [/QUOTE]

Girls fake orgasms, guys fake relationships
MuddyV8YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2005, 11:14 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 165
Send a message via MSN to Blackjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJTypeR
Definitely not the m8000 . Mine is screwed from having water in it. There is no seal what so ever between the motor and the winch frame.
Very few if any electric winches are fully sealed. Electric motors gas while in operation and that gas needs a place to go. So if you want to play submarine with you winch, you will need to do a few mods to it. First is to tap the motor for a barbed fitting and run a breather hose. Then you can seal the motor end cap and the field case to the winch frame (liquid electrical tape works good for this). The next thing is make sure the gear box gaskets are in good shape as well as any other seals (clutch, ect). Most planetary winches do not have seals on the drum (Warns 9.5ti and XP do) so I pack a fair amount of grease between the drum flanges and the drum supports. Warns use Aeroshell 17 which has a decent washout rate so it works good for this.

Now for the control pack. I prefer the non I series winches so that the pack can be relocated. The I series winches solenoid housing is not sealed so it will fill with water if submerged for extended periods. The solenoids themselves are not sealed so keeping them out of harms way is a good idea. The control pack is where dielectric grease and spray corrosion guard are your friend. Liberally cover all connections (dont forget the motor posts too) and you will be good to go.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in