For you guys usin air cylinders - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2006, 01:51 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 10249
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron t
we have run this setup on my friends buggy. it is a heavy ass pig. the air rams work ok at best. unload like mad. they don't work anything like an airshock. airshocks work off of basic volume displacement. yes the co2 will quickly turn back into liquid. i am surprised you are even getting 1k psi out of them co2 is a really bad idea. at least normal compressed atmospheric air is 78% nitrogen and its cheap. with the 3" ram you will be able to suspend your rig with around 120# of air. you can run that off of your on board air comp.
we just cut down some poly bushings and used those in the eye of the ram. even kept the 1" pins.
air shocks are only $200 each. just pm a few of the vendors. albeit you may be too heavy for simple 2" body shocks.
The jackass is talking about my rig.

Its not that heavy, 560Lbs per rear corner of sprung weight rear, I do 3in rams and it requires about 80PSI to lift it.
F=PA
A=3.14(D/2)^2
D= piston diameter
P=pressure

At 80 PSI Im about 560Lbs per corner.

The weight also needs to take into account your mounting angle at 45 degree the ram needs to hold up alot more weight then vertical mounting.
Use geometry to figure the force if angled.

We have a jazillion page thread on this:
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=261171

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AZ Undertaker
ashmanjeepXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2006, 02:21 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 54956
Send a message via AIM to motorcitydak
I remember talking to you and reading that thread for days a while ago. That is obviously where I got the ideas from. My cylinders would be as straight as possible and like I said, prob 5 inch bore.

You are using hudraulic rams in there if I remember rite. Do you have a problem with the seals failing and then losing suspending abilities?I figured if you kept air tool oil in there, you would be fine, but I was thinkin pneumatic cylinders since they are made to be run on air anyway.
motorcitydak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2006, 05:11 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 54956
Send a message via AIM to motorcitydak
what is an exected pressure i can get out of an oba setup? if i run 5 inch cylinders, i should only need about 80psi or so, but if I can get 120psi in there, they would lift 2350lbs each, meaning I could lift a vehicle straight up and out of a hole or something. Basically, I would have an extra 2000lbs or so of lifting force on the front end if needed. The axles and mounts would then worry me, but it is possible.
motorcitydak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in